Can my watch be regulated?

Thread: Can my watch be regulated?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can my watch be regulated?

I recently purchased a Nomos Tangente, my first mechanical watch. I love it and am happy with the time it keeps, although it does run +6 per day. So, I have some questions:

1. Can any mechanical watch, including mine, be regulated? Is that expensive?
    2. Will my watch "break in" and become more or less accurate over time?
    3. Why are watches more likely to run fast than slow? (I often see people quote standards of +5/-3 or similar, and the + is generally larger than the -.)

Re: Can my watch be regulated?

Yes it can be regulated. The cost will differ depending on the brand of the watch, so you will have to check with your AD. If the watch is relatively inexpensive then any skilled local watch repair shop should be able to help you out.

The thing with accuracy in mechanical watches as far as I am concerned is that it varies a lot depending on how often you wear the watch, how often you wind it, and the environment that you expose your watch to.

I would prefer a watch to run faster than slower as that ensures I wont miss any appointment! +6s/day is not that bad but if you are unhappy with it then take it to your AD or your local watch repair shop.
    - IWC Classic Pilot's Mark XVI
    - Omega 300M Bond Seamaster Chronometer
    - Calibre de Cartier SS
    - Corum Admiral's Cup 41mm

The watch is about 3 weeks old. I wind it every morning, and wear it every day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brettdaltman View Post
    The watch is about 3 weeks old. I wind it every morning, and wear it every day.
    Regulation is the way forward then
    - Calibre de Cartier SS

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by skyrider007 View Post
    Regulation is the way forward then
    You won't get much better than +6 s/d. It's not a quartz. Don't expect perfect accuracy.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    You won't get much better than +6 s/d. It's not a quartz. Don't expect perfect accuracy.
    I never expect perfect accuracy from any mechanical watches. That's why I've just got a radio-controlled G-SHOCK, lol. Luxury quartz should be radio-controlled IMO!
    - Calibre de Cartier SS

Like I said, 6 seconds doesn't bother me . . . but I'd like to know my options if the accuracy changes significantly over time.

stuffler,mike

+6 is within the specs.

+6 sec/day is still just within COSC specs and most people would be very happy if their watches ran that well (although I'm not one of those people...)

If you really want your watch regulated a bit better, I would suggest that you accurately see how your watch runs for a couple of weeks. Wear the watch as you normally would and every 24 hours note the exact time. If your watch runs 6 seconds fast/day each and every day then it shouldn't be any problem to have it regulated to run just about perfect. However, if one day your watch runs 18 seconds fast and the next it's 6 seconds slow, then a simple regulation probably isn't going to do much. The movement may need a service, or the movement simply isn't that accurate.

1. Yes it can be regulated. If yours looks like this

(image from the website of an AD for Nomos)
    your watchmaker would move the regulating arm (at 4 o'clock on the back, with the two gold dots on it) the tiniest fraction towards the carrier stud (arm with one dot). This movement does not appear to have a fine adjustment screw or other markers, so it may be time consuming to get it better than +6 s/d.

Bear in mind that the daily rate of a mechanical watch will vary depending on its position (dial up, crown left, and crown down are the three predominant positions for a right handed wearer - watch on L arm). You might wish to have the watch run for 24 hours in each position to figure the rates. You can then often reduce the daily variation by keeping the watch in the appropriate position at night (for instance if you find the watch loses a few seconds daily dial up or whatever). If your watchmaker has a timing machine, he can tell you the rates in each position in a few minutes. Well constructed movements should exhibit little difference between the different positions (2-3 sec / day) and should thus be a consistent daily rate when worn on the wrist, as well. As HM points out, this is an essential prerequisite to regulation.

2. Mechanical movements do tend to vary slightly over the first few weeks/months as they run in. Having said that, none of mine have had dramatic changes.

3. Most people prefer a watch that runs fast because it is easier to reset. Just pull out the crown to hack, wait until "real time" catches up, and push the crown back in. As opposed to hack, set a minute ahead, wait, and push the crown back in.
    Last edited by Path11; November 24th, 2009 at 20:05. Reason: credit image source

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information