Can someone tell me more about this watch?

Thread: Can someone tell me more about this watch?

Can someone tell me more about this watch?

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for information about this watch and was hoping some of you knowledgeable people here in this forum could help me. The watch is a Whittnauer and was my great uncles. It was purchased sometime in the 40's or 50's. On the back of the case it says 14K and on the back of the band it says Benrus 1/20 - 10K GF with steel. At present time the watch does not work and has some scratches on the glass. The main question i have is how much is this watch worth? What details would a buyer want to know before buying it? I know the size is important. It looks actually quite small compared to modern men's watches. Thank you to anyone who can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Can someone tell me more about this watch?

Wittnauer was an importing agent that sold Longines watches in the United States. In the 1930's Wittnauer sold their company to Longines creating the Longines-Wittnauer company although watches with either name on the dial after this time are still distinct.

Your watch dates from the late 40's to early 50's.

The forum rules state that we can't give values - there's simply too many variables. A good way to find how much other watches like your's have sold for, however, is to have a look at previous or ongoing ebay.com auctions...like this for example: Mens 1950 Longines Wittnauer 14K SOLID GOLD Fancy SCROLL LUG Vintage Deco Watch | eBay

The fact that it's gold helps but it's not an overly valuable watch.
    Last edited by JustinD; October 7th, 2012 at 17:03.

Thanks for your help. I have looked on ebay a bit. Since i am not a watch guy i really do not know what to write in the description and what's important to a potential buyer.
    In your opinion are this watch listed on ebay the same as the one i have?

Classic Vintage Wittnauer Gents 14k Gold Square Swiss Watch c1940s | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What is important to any buyer is whether or not the watch works. If it doesn't you might as well sell it for parts and the scrap value of the case.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Jason7500 View Post
    Thanks for your help. I have looked on ebay a bit. Since i am not a watch guy i really do not know what to write in the description and what's important to a potential buyer.
    In your opinion are this watch listed on ebay the same as the one i have?

Classic Vintage Wittnauer Gents 14k Gold Square Swiss Watch c1940s | eBay
    The dial looks very similar but the case is different as well as the bracelet. It would help to have more pictures of your watch which are clear and in focus to be able to better tell the condition and including a shot of the movement. The case back should be able to pop off without too much trouble giving access to the movement.

As Ray said - does the watch work? If not then it'll have to be repaired which will probably cost about the price of the watch. Describe it's condition as best you can, include clear photos of the dial, case, and movement, and indicate whether or not it works and, if so, how accurate it is (does it gain or lose seconds per day? Minutes?).

Thanks a lot. Your reply was very helpful. I am going to what you have suggested.

Nice watch. The Benrus band is not original to the watch: wrong brand and the ends are curved.
    I'd be the watch came on a strap originally, maybe with a gold-filled expansion band as an upgrade for a few extra dollars.
    Scott
    I'll be back if/when the forum software is updated.
    Until then:
    contact timesofplenty at ebay

Thread Information