Can Tritium Tubes Be Replaced?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can Tritium Tubes Be Replaced?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can Tritium Tubes Be Replaced?

Before I pull the trigger on a tritium tube watch, I'd like to know if the tubes can be changed when the luminosity levels begin to seriously fade after say, 10 years...

Thanks!

Re: Can Tritium Tubes Be Replaced?

Yes they can be replaced. I doubt it's cheap though. If you have one tube on each hour marker and on each hand that's 9. At $30 a tube that's $270!

Then there's the tricky situation of properly disposing of radioactive waste
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Or 15... which is even worse.

Or 49 tubes and no warranty because you bought it used

You would need to send the watch back to the manufacturer. You will destroy the hands by removing the tubes and will probably mar the dial as well because the glue holding the tubes will likely pull off material when removed.

I have bought tritium tubes and the sizes used in watches would cost around $3 - $7 ea. Ball says they can replace them cheaply and easily.

Here are some custom flashlights with tritium illumination, these lights run around $500 ea.
    Last edited by Gary123; September 26th, 2012 at 23:20.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero, Roger Dubuis Excalibur 42 .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Like others have said, yes, it is possible. However, it's not worth it on most tritium watches. It also depends on the size of the tubes. If they are not a very common variety, they may no longer be available in 10+ years. What type are you considering? If it's a Ball, it would probably be worth replacing the tubes in the future, if its a Luminox, it probably wouldn't be worth it. The replacement cost would, at very least, rival the cost of purchasing a new watch of similar value.

Quote Originally Posted by 9573 View Post
    ........... The replacement cost would, at very least, rival the cost of purchasing a new watch of similar value.
    That is not true. Ball has extensively advertised that they can replace all tubes for a modest cost. I don't know what that cost would be, but they emphasize that it is not an expensive procedure.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero, Roger Dubuis Excalibur 42 .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    That is not true. Ball has extensively advertised that they can replace all tubes for a modest cost. I don't know what that cost would be, but they emphasize that it is not an expensive procedure.
    I meant that only in reference to a watch in the Luminox price range. That's why I said it would be worth it with something such as a Ball. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    You would need to send the watch back to the manufacturer. You will destroy the hands by removing the tubes and will probably mar the dial as well because the glue holding the tubes will likely pull off material when removed.

I have bought tritium tubes and the sizes used in watches would cost around $3 - $7 ea. Ball says they can replace them cheaply and easily.

Here are some custom flashlights with tritium illumination, these lights run around $500 ea.
    Oh god - you're a flashaholic too!
    Jiman and myke like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information