Can x-ray machines (security scanners) effect innards of a mechanical watch? If so, how?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can x-ray machines (security scanners) effect innards of a mechanical watch? If so, how?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can x-ray machines (security scanners) effect innards of a mechanical watch? If so, how?

I didn't think so. But after my watch took a trip through an x-ray security scanner it seems to have speeded up. Just coincidence? Or causation?

Ozy

Re: Can x-ray machines (security scanners) effect innards of a mechanical watch? If so, ho

Quote Originally Posted by NYAndrew View Post
    seems to have speeded up. Just coincidence? Or causation?
    You're going for multiple word scores today. Speeded up is technically a result of causation (by the sociological definition).

"the belief that events occur in predictable ways and that one event leads to another"

The focus here on the event preceding the speeded uppedness of the watch, could it be due for service, could it have taken a knock and hung up a spring somewhere, could it be magnetized.

As you could imagine, this is difficult to diagnose over the interwebz, might be needing some more information (what watch, movement).
    Pavo absolutus

Re: Can x-ray machines (security scanners) effect innards of a mechanical watch? If so, ho

I don't believe that the x-rays would harm the watch. However, there may be magnetic fields around the electric motors driving the conveyor belts that may affect the your watch. You watch may also have been roughly handled. If it got magnetized or jarred hard enough, it may have affected the balance spring and the watch would run faster - perhaps a couple of hours fast/day...

I've sent watches through airport x-ray machines many times and have yet to notice any problems. However, I usually put the watch in a zippered pocket of a jacket. It doesn't usually get handled and there's less chance of it being dropped, or taken.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Appreciate the humor but you're overthinking this one. It's a physics question. Can x-ray emr effect a watch movement? If so, how? The particular watch has an eta 2824-2 elabore and was keeping +/-2/week prior to its trip through the machine. Speeded-up 3 secs in the 4 hours afterwards.

Ozy

Quote Originally Posted by NYAndrew View Post
    Appreciate the humor but you're overthinking this one. It's a physics question. Can x-ray emr effect a watch movement? If so, how? The particular watch has an eta 2824-2 elabore and was keeping +/-2/week prior to its trip through the machine. Speeded-up 3 secs in the 4 hours afterwards.
    Overthinking?...I barely think, especially when the theorum of physics are applied to airport scanners and watches.

3 Seconds in 4 hours? - no, this is not a result of an airport security scanner.

The magnetic field requred to affect the accuracy of a watch would also affect the magnetic strip on the back of your bank card / credit cards... theres some handy trivia for ya.
    Pavo absolutus

Banned

What did it do in the time after that? If it now stays on time, I'd say not magnetized. Magnetized would stay wrong.

You checked the reference time just before you put it in the x-ray machine? If not, how can you know the 3 sec change didn't occur over another period of time and was caused (if it's not just a fluke) by something else? Also, where did you go? Anywhere where it's significantly colder or warmer? About 10C can already make a change.
    Any shocks?

What do you use as a reference time? If it's a cell phone it's as good as useless.

Did the TSA grope the crotch of your watch for an enhanced pat down? If so, I bet that was it! ;) I'd run faster, too.

An x-ray should not have any measurable effect on a watch. The usual bumps, drops, vibrations, and temperature differences would have a more noticeable effect. Also, correlation =/= causation.

I've put a few watches under an x-ray machine and subjected them to much more radiation (trying to imitate Man Ray) - no problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    I don't believe that the x-rays would harm the watch. However, there may be magnetic fields around the electric motors driving the conveyor belts that may affect the your watch. You watch may also have been roughly handled. If it got magnetized or jarred hard enough, it may have affected the balance spring and the watch would run faster - perhaps a couple of hours fast/day...

I've sent watches through airport x-ray machines many times and have yet to notice any problems. However, I usually put the watch in a zippered pocket of a jacket. It doesn't usually get handled and there's less chance of it being dropped, or taken.
    Ditto.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

Quote Originally Posted by nocnoc View Post
    What do you use as a reference time? If it's a cell phone it's as good as useless.
    In fact, I do use cell phone as reference time. Why is that useless? It's been the same as time.gov

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information