Can you get stronger springbars or watches that dont use them?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can you get stronger springbars or watches that dont use them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you get stronger springbars or watches that dont use them?

I had a seiko I liked but the strap kept coming off. The springbar would somehow bend. I switched to a GShock since its strap attaches differently and have had no problems but Im wanting a different watch. So I want to see if there are any choices for watches that have non metal bands that attach better than spring bars or maybe have stronger springbars available. Thanks

Re: Can you get stronger springbars or watches that dont use them?

There are many other Varieties of G-Shock, including titanium models, steel models, etc.
    All have very robust straps.

Have you tried a Perlon or Nato or Zulu strap on your Seiko?

To expand on what Yankeexpress is saying:

There's a class of straps (NATO/G10, Zulu, Perlon etc.) that's a single piece passing under each spring bar. They're designed such that if one or the other spring bar fails, the watch is still held on by the other one. They're military-derived and VERY, VERY secure.

Expanding on that, there are watches that don't have spring bars at all, but can only accept pass-through straps. Bertucci is probably the most prolific brand at the lower price points with that feature. Some watches use screw-in bars, but that's less common with affordable watches. Again this is a military field watch feature. (A very rare option on fixed bar watches are straps that loop over the fixed bars and then screw down. You won't find many, but I'll mention that as an option.)

Some watches, most notably Seiko's dive watches, use a 'fat' spring bar that's a little more secure.

It's also possible that you're just using poor quality spring bars or the wrong size. If you go 1mm under, the strap will attach but it won't be as secure. If you need maximum security you can *sometimes* go 1mm larger than standard and get it to hold tighter but test the bare spring bar first so you don't have to cut a strap off of your watch. It may just be the case that you need to swap the spring bar.

If you're using a strap that's too small for the lugs and shows *any* amount of exposed spring bar, that's bad and can lead to the spring bar's release catching on the strap and releasing the strap. Be sure you're using the right size strap for your lugs. If you're using a watch with an odd size lug width (19mm, 21mm, 23mm etc.) then I'd try a strap 1mm wider-- 20mm in a 19mm lug etc. Obviously that's not true for bracelets, but leather/canvas/etc. have a little give and can usually be installed very securely.

Lastly if your watch keeps falling off because you're catching it constantly on door sills etc. obviously that's partially on you, but the watch may also be a little too tall. You can just try one that sits lower on your wrist-- say 12mm or under?

Something there is bound to help, I hope!
    titusdelossantos likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I only use omega springbars, you can get them from ofrei. Cost a few bucks each but are high quality and I’ve never had an issue. If you buy ten he gives you a discount

Does Bertucci make automatic or solar watches?

In a perfect world, Id like an analog watch that is automatic with date ( day would be a bonus ) with luminous hands and numbers and the band would not be metal and not attach with springbars

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    To expand on what Yankeexpress is saying:

There's a class of straps (NATO/G10, Zulu, Perlon etc.) that's a single piece passing under each spring bar. They're designed such that if one or the other spring bar fails, the watch is still held on by the other one. They're military-derived and VERY, VERY secure.

Expanding on that, there are watches that don't have spring bars at all, but can only accept pass-through straps. Bertucci is probably the most prolific brand at the lower price points with that feature. Some watches use screw-in bars, but that's less common with affordable watches. Again this is a military field watch feature. (A very rare option on fixed bar watches are straps that loop over the fixed bars and then screw down. You won't find many, but I'll mention that as an option.)

Some watches, most notably Seiko's dive watches, use a 'fat' spring bar that's a little more secure.

It's also possible that you're just using poor quality spring bars or the wrong size. If you go 1mm under, the strap will attach but it won't be as secure. If you need maximum security you can *sometimes* go 1mm larger than standard and get it to hold tighter but test the bare spring bar first so you don't have to cut a strap off of your watch. It may just be the case that you need to swap the spring bar.

If you're using a strap that's too small for the lugs and shows *any* amount of exposed spring bar, that's bad and can lead to the spring bar's release catching on the strap and releasing the strap. Be sure you're using the right size strap for your lugs. If you're using a watch with an odd size lug width (19mm, 21mm, 23mm etc.) then I'd try a strap 1mm wider-- 20mm in a 19mm lug etc. Obviously that's not true for bracelets, but leather/canvas/etc. have a little give and can usually be installed very securely.

Lastly if your watch keeps falling off because you're catching it constantly on door sills etc. obviously that's partially on you, but the watch may also be a little too tall. You can just try one that sits lower on your wrist-- say 12mm or under?

Something there is bound to help, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB73 View Post
    In a perfect world, Id like an analog watch that is automatic with date ( day would be a bonus ) with luminous hands and numbers and the band would not be metal and not attach with springbars
    How much are you willing to spend? There are many watches that use super solid screw bars instead of spring bars, but they are not very common in the price range a Bertucci sells for.

Coincidentally, this is what I'm wearing today (just to show the screw bar, it doesn't match some of your other requirements):

Name:  180513_M.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  211.4 KB

However, all in all, spring bar failures are very rare if you use good quality bars. I wouldn't overthink this or focus too much on that detail. Just get a pair of solid quality spring bars and try them.

Seiko divers have stronger 2mm diameter 'fat' springbars. Modern Rolex has a similar thicker bar. Swatch uses a friction pin with 2 intermediate supports which is a simple, inexpensive but effective system. Panerai have used screw bars for decades and I believe some microbrands have followed suit in their dive watch models.

Springbars have always been the weakest link for watchbands/bracelets. Unfortunately the basic design has remained basically unchanged all this time.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    **snip**
    Springbars have always been the weakest link for watchbands/bracelets. Unfortunately the basic design has remained basically unchanged all this time.
    Isn't it intentional that the springbar is the weakest part in the whole bracelet/strap construction? It's the cheapest and easiest to replace object that can break away at high stresses without damaging the watch case/lugs too much, or damaging the strap.
    If i have to choose between a normal springbar (estimated 10-15kg breaking force), seiko dive springbar (20kg+ breaking force) or a solid rod that fails at 30+kg to attach a strap or bracelet, i'd limit it to 10-20 kg, just to spare my wrist in case of an accident.
    mleok likes this.

I don’t know what your budget is but for about $2k USD you can get a Breitling Colt Skyracer that has a synthetic case, synthetic band and no spring bar. I have a nato strap on mine

Quote Originally Posted by CADirk View Post
    Isn't it intentional that the springbar is the weakest part in the whole bracelet/strap construction? It's the cheapest and easiest to replace object that can break away at high stresses without damaging the watch case/lugs too much, or damaging the strap.
    If i have to choose between a normal springbar (estimated 10-15kg breaking force), seiko dive springbar (20kg+ breaking force) or a solid rod that fails at 30+kg to attach a strap or bracelet, i'd limit it to 10-20 kg, just to spare my wrist in case of an accident.
    I hardly think it is intentional but an easy convenient and simple way to do things when wrist watches first evolved from pocket watches but a system prone to failures. Remember there are other ways to attach straps and bracelets such as Panerai screw bars, proprietry integrated bracelets on some watches and the Swatch pin system. Should Swatch watches be considered unsafe?
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information