Can you polish out a crystal?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpalmer

Thread: Can you polish out a crystal?

Can you polish out a crystal?

My first watch as a kid, a Fossil Blue(Laugh away), has some scratches on the crystal. I was just wondering if there is a way to polish them out? I know its not an expensive watch but I thought if I can fix it it might be good to practice on if one of my better watches ever gets a scratch.
    Thanks!

Re: Can you polish out a crystal?

If it's mineral crystal you can polish it out using toothpaste. I don't think you polish out sapphire crystals.
    Tom
    Marathon, Omega, Rolex, Ruhla, Seiko

Banned

Many use a product called Polywatch on acrylic crystals. As noted, doubt you'll have much luck with a sapphire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If it is acrylic you can use polywatch. However, there is a good chance that it is mineral crystal and from what I have read this typically cannot be polished (at least in any fashion that will produce satisfactory results given the amount of time, effort, and elbow grease required). I suggest just sourcing a new crystal, which should be easy enough to do. If the watch has sentimental value, you might even be able to source a sapphire crystal if it has common dimensions.
    sam0840 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sam0840 View Post
    My first watch as a kid, a Fossil Blue(Laugh away)...
    Ha ha ha!!

I'd bet it's 'mineral crystal' (Aka regular plate glass) It can be polished out, but it's hard work, you need the right tools, and buying the pumice and cerium oxide can be cost prohibitive. I'd take it to a jewellers and get a quote for a fresh one to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    If it's mineral crystal you can polish it out using toothpaste. I don't think you polish out sapphire crystals.
    You can only use toothpaste to polish acrylic crystal. For mineral glass, if you want to hand polish it, then some diamond paste is the best option. I would actually just replace the mineral crystal, since the easiest way to polish the crystal is to first pop it off the case, as opposed to taping off the case and polishing it while it's installed.

Edit: I've replaced mineral glass crystals myself. It just requires the right tools, such as a crystal press (about $10 from Harbor Freight Tools), a caseback remover, some screwdrivers, and a pair of digital calipers to measure the crystal.
    Last edited by mleok; December 25th, 2013 at 00:07.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    You can only use toothpaste to polish acrylic crystal. For mineral glass, if you want to hand polish it, then some diamond paste is the best option. I would actually just replace the mineral crystal, since the easiest way to polish the crystal is to first pop it off the case, as opposed to taping off the case and polishing it while it's installed.

Edit: I've replaced mineral glass crystals myself. It just requires the right tools, such as a crystal press (about $10 from Harbor Freight Tools), a caseback remover, some screwdrivers, and a pair of digital calipers to measure the crystal.
    Thanks for catching that, I meant acrylic.
    Tom

Thread Information