WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Canada Post lost my watch (Advice)

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Watchmenaenae 
#1 ·
I purchased a watch from eBay from Japan and it was suppose to arrive today through Canada Post. Around 2:11 EST, I received a notification that the package was delivered and signed for. I live in a condo so all mail gets delivered to front desk security. However, when I went to pick up my package today, they said they haven't received anything and that the Canada Post guy hasn't even come yet. I believe them as the signature wasn't anyone working there.

I called Canada Post and they said that, because it is international, the sender will have to file a dispute on their end (they used EMS). I sent an email to the sender however, with the time difference, they probably won't see it until later tonight.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Has anyone had experiences like this before? In the worst case scenario, how likely am I to recover my funds if the watch is truly lost? The watch cost ~3,500 CAD (Paypal) so I would hope they have shipping insurance on it.

Thanks

#2 ·
I can tell you that I have had USPS Tracking show that a package was delivered to my front porch and it wasn't. They generally show up the next day. I asked our station manager how that could happen and he just shrugged his shoulders. I can't complain, it is still one of the best postal systems in the world.
Kevin

#3 ·
Hopefully it will get delivered tomorrow! I also encountered the phantom "delivered and signed" message from USPS only to have them "actually" deliver it the next day...

The good thing is that the security said the mailman hadn't been there in days. More likely it will come tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If the package is really gone, the seller will be able to pursue a claim based on the lack of an appropriate signature -- presumably, it won't be yours. As others have noted, there's a decent chance it'll appear tomorrow, as this is something post offices do to improve their delivery-time numbers. In the meantime, do you know what kind of signature was required? If it's you and only you, then you're fine. If any "acceptable" signature would do it, then you should make sure it wasn't dropped off at a nearby storefront or similar location.

I've only taken delivery of expensive watches a couple of times, but both times I was home, waiting, and watching for the truck. I don't have enough faith in the underpaid delivery folks to trust that it won't be left in a public place where it can be stolen.

#5 · (Edited)
Since I live in Japan, I send all my things overseas by EMS (I use ebay a lot, with 3000 transactions). In the usual situation, the sender will need to do some paperwork on his end, and it will take up to a month for the Japan PO to process the claim--the money will then be given to the sender, who should in term reimburse you.

Your situation is not the usual one, however. The major problem will be the fact that somebody signed for it--and no, it isn't that easy just to dismiss it because the signature isn't in your handwriting--that is something only the courts can determine--the PO isn't going to look and say, "hey, you're right--those signatures are different!". The fact is, somebody DID sign for it--who, why, where and how that happened will figure most significantly in getting your money back--so, while the sender can make a claim--the burden of determining how the package got marked as delivered, and how it got a signature, is actually on your side of the table, at least between you and your local PO.

Good luck--hopefully it is as others suggest, just an error in the PO tracking system, and that it will show up in the day or two--but it honestly doesn't look good if it really was delivered to somebody--the seller can't reimburse you for something that was both delivered and signed for at the address given, since they will not get any money from the PO in this case, nor can Paypal or your credit card company stop payment or refund your money, since it was legitimately sent and insured through the mail system. It is not the seller's issue, but your local PO's.

#8 ·
Just my .02 ... to protect/prepare yourself for the claim if necessary , find out where and when the package was signed for , then approach your security department and request retention of any video footage ,of the condo desk ( I'm going to assume that if the condo board is paying for a security guard there is video ..).. thus you are armed for the fight if need be

#10 ·
I contact the seller and they have started an investigation. They have assured me that the shipment is insured, so in the case it does get lost, they can get reimbursed. I checked the status of my shipment through Canada post and it now shows "Item redirected to recipients new address", so I'm hoping that it was sent to the incorrect place and re-directed to me.

Text Font Line Screenshot Number

#12 ·
Lot's of luck.

I've had tons of phantom deliveries that show up the next day. Just recently I had an Amazon shipment that was "arriving before 8:00 p.m." Sure enough, I get a notification on my phone at 7:58 that the package was delivered. I checked a few times before I went to bed and...no package. Sure enough, it showed up the next day. I suspect the delivery person marks items as delivered so as to not appear to be falling behind/shirking their duties and then tries to make up for it the next day.

#15 ·
I just had a similar situation with the USPS a few weeks back. I stopped at the USPS to drop off a watch I sold on the bay and the line was crazy long. USPS employee was telling people in line to drop prepaid boxes in a huge container so you didn't have to wait, so (stupid me) did. Nothing was scanned and it never moved. I called the next day and the supervisor said they would search for it and that evening said she would speak with the night crew. Nothing. I should know better than to trust the USPS, my delivery person likes to mark my packages delivered on Fridays and then deliver them the following week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.