Canadians! Ever had a watch shipped from the states?

Thread: Canadians! Ever had a watch shipped from the states?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rxq

Canadians! Ever had a watch shipped from the states?

I just bought a watch from the states off Ebay, i couldnt resist. It seemed like an excellent deal since it cost less than one of my school text books and I just found an electronic copy of the same text.

In the past, when someone sends me something form the states, they have always marked valuing at $10 or so.

However, the seller may have to mark the value of the watch at the price I paid if I want to insure it for what I paid.

I've heard stories that people buy a watch from the states and end up paying up to $50CAD for tax. I really dont want this to happen, since its a significant fraction of the cost of the watch.

Any experiances or anything where you were able to avoid duties or etc?

1. Victorinox Renegade (1999)
    2. Seiko 5 Superior SNZC27K1 (2007)
    3. Citizen SS Skyhawk A-T U600 (2008)
    4. Suunto Core 2009 Y/B (Replaced Y08 model)(2008-9)
    5. Chenevard Skeleton T22200 (Replaced MZI Corinth LGG) (2008-9)
    6. Millionsmart 1801 Flying Tourbillon SS (Replaced RG) (2009)
    7. Two time zone Skeleton (Modified 6497 Movement) (2009)
    8. Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater G900 (2009)
    9. Alpha Daytona S/B Chronograph
    10. PTS Tourbillon

Re: Canadians! Ever had a watch shipped from the states?

hard to avoid duties its luck . but you can avoid brokerage fees by getting stuff shipped usps, shipping might be a little more upfront . but usps chargeed me 8$ on 464$ watch. ups charged my 75$ on a 571$ watch. you still pay gst and pst though which is a crock because buying out of province you get exempted.
    so the 464$+40 shipping+8+40pst+25gst was my total for the watch.

with the exchange,shipping,duties,taxes pst and gst you can still end up paying less than local prices.

cory
    hamilton khaki Field Auto Chrono-black
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

Most of my watches have come from the US and outside of Canada, usually if it sent USPS, I've had to pay the tax on the declared worth and the hand-off fee to CDN post ($8.95).
    If there is duty, from what I understand, it'll be %5.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What ever you do, avoid UPS at any cost.
    I was charged with $23.45 on $29.38 shipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had both my Bernhardt and Wenger shipped USPS and I paid nothing for the Wenger and like $20 for the Bernhardt which I thought was decent.

I avoid UPS at ALL costs, however, my most recent purchase was shipped DHL from Hong Kong and I only paid $16. I'm pretty sure it depends on the declared value, but still, stick with USPS.

Also when using Ebay I've had to search a fair bit for sellers willing to ship USPS and not gouge me for a huge shipping charge. There are some pretty good sellers on Ebay.
    Oakley TimeBomb Carbon Fiber
    Seiko Premier SNP003
    Bernhardt Globemaster #228 Green/Silver
    Wenger Swiss Military Commando Chrono
    Casio G-Shock DW6900
    Benarus Moray
    #43 Silver dial/brushed

Pics of the Watch Collection

I've had more watches and other collectibles sent to me from the States than I raelly care to admit.

Have them send it by US Post Global Express or International Priority. Avoid couriers like the plague.

Duties / taxes can be a bit hit-and-miss, but under-delcaring can be risky. If the shipper does so at your request, all you can hope to recover is the declared value if the worst happens.

That said, I have never had a problem with a US shipment by either of those means, though the last one there was a problem with the tracking (basically, none available for some unexplained reason) but not the actual delivery.

Roger

Roger

+1 I've got 3 watches (2 Accutron's and 1 Seiko) coming in at the moment all shipped by USPS. Never had a problem. "Extra" costs are reasonable.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER,.....

Use UPS!

Did I make myself clear???

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    I've had more watches and other collectibles sent to me from the States than I raelly care to admit.

Have them send it by US Post Global Express or International Priority. Avoid couriers like the plague.

Duties / taxes can be a bit hit-and-miss, but under-delcaring can be risky. If the shipper does so at your request, all you can hope to recover is the declared value if the worst happens.

That said, I have never had a problem with a US shipment by either of those means, though the last one there was a problem with the tracking (basically, none available for some unexplained reason) but not the actual delivery.

Roger

Roger

If you think it is worth:

1.) Having your shipment siezed without recourse
    2.) Paying a huge fine
    3.) Going to Jail or at least getting a criminal record
    4.) Having them tear your car, bags or bum apart evey time you cross the border, as a "known smuggler";

By all means, save $20 in GST my making a false customs declaration. You owe the GST and Duties just like any other tax, and CRA has made tax evasion through Papal and sales tax avoidance through mail sales a major enforcement mandate.

Have fun, and good luck.

That said, never use Fedex
    Last edited by Brocktoon; September 9th, 2009 at 20:03.

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

My policy: I ask the seller to declare actual value, and I never ever buy from US sellers who only use UPS or FedEx. I ask sellers to use USPS or EMS.

This online calculator will help: TheFinalCost
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

I would reiterate that fedex/ups are to be avoided at all costs. USPS is remarkably good and despite the dire warnings of the poster above, I've yet to have my life ruined by an 'undervalued' watch. I'm not sure that there is a blue book for watched that the CRA has access to anyways, and let's be honest, they have better things to do than assessing the value of used consumer goods coming into Canada.
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information