Cannot for the life of me find a watch I like -- Please help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cannot for the life of me find a watch I like -- Please help

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Unhappy Cannot for the life of me find a watch I like -- Please help

I've been searching for the past month for my first automatic, but I cannot find anything that fits the following preferences:

-Cost is <$200 (no budging)
    -Teal/Turquoise/Blue colors
    -Small enough for a ~6.25" wrist (15.9 cm)
    -Durable, reliable construction
    -Round dial

I'm getting exhausted in my search, and I would really appreciate help.

There are plenty of Skagen watches that hit most of the above criteria, but they would all fail for not having durable, reliable construction. Then there's the Citizen Stilleto line, but those mostly fail the price point and not being visually appealing (at least the ones that are remotely close to the price point). Also, I do not find the Seiko 5 series to be visually attractive (I actually haven't found any small Seiko watches in this price range to be attractive :( ).

Examples of watches I do find attractive (but fail one criteria or another):

Archimede UA7919-A5.5: WatchMann.com Military Watches and Pilot Watches: Archimede Vintage Watch UA7919-A5.5
    ---> Visually perfect, but clearly too expensive and large

Wenger 72474: http://www.watchescapital.com/images/large/72474.jpg
    ---> Visually perfect and affordable, but hard to find and apparently not a durable, reliable brand

Orient Blue Marshall (EM7E003D): EM7E003D | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    ---> Visually perfect and affordable, but too large for my small wrist

Orient UNE4009B: UNE4009B | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    ---> Visually perfect and very affordable, but again too large for my small wrist

Stuhrling Symphony Maestro III: Amazon.com: Stuhrling Original Men's 150DR.3356C1 Boardroom Symphony Maestro III Automatic Skeleton Calendar Blue Watch: Watches
    ---> Visually perfect, but way too large (and apparently not a very durable, reliable brand?)

Maybe the above watch styles can help someone familiar with many different watches find the right watch for me. Please help me if you have the time. I really want a watch, but I'm starting to fear that there is literally no watch out there for me. I really wish I had larger wrists :(
    Last edited by tropicalstormforce; September 4th, 2012 at 03:10.

Re: Cannot for the life of me find a watch I like -- Please help

I think it would be very difficult to get what you're looking for without making any compromises. If you had a larger budget (say about $350), it would be significantly easier to find something suitable. Most watches in the sub $200 range are not going to be both stylish and durable, especially when there are several other factors to consider. Also, what size are you looking for? I know you stated your wrist size, but for myself (7.25in wrist), I can find pieces that I like anywhere between 35mm and 47mm. The orients you have listed are both about 41mm, I believe, which depending on your wrist shape may not look bad at all. I know a few women with wrists about 6in that prefer pieces in the 42mm range (and a guy with a 6.75 who wears a 55mm fossil, but that's another story...).

This is what you want, but it's about $500 USD. I'd save up another 6 months or a year and get something you'll enjoy for awhile than settle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, it's hard to talk about size since lug-to-lug dimensions aren't included in case diameter...but I've been thinking the watch would have to be < 40mm in diameter to not look silly on my small wrist. I really dislike the look of a large watch on a small wrist (where the lugs are close to or are even crossing the edge of the wrist).

CitizenM -- A good looking watch, but yeah, above my price range. I can certainly afford watches more expensive than $200. It's just that this is my first step into "fine" watches, and I really can't justify spending that much right off the bat on my first watch.
    Last edited by tropicalstormforce; September 4th, 2012 at 00:39.

If you can afford more than $200, I suggest you up your limit. Find a watch that is perfect in every way for you and look for it preowned (on forums and auction sites). That way you'll have something that truly feels right, and if you keep it in good condition won't be devalued much if you decide to sell it to fund your next purchase.

I know it may sound like blasphemy on a forum for watch enthusiasts, but I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicalstormforce View Post
    I know it may sound like blasphemy on a forum for watch enthusiasts, but I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a watch.
    Thats fair. But then don't get upset that you can't get the watch you want at that price. Because it simply doesn't exist.
    ShaggyDog likes this.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Thats fair. But then don't get upset that you can't get the watch you want at that price. Because it simply doesn't exist.
    Then at what price point does it exist? The hardest part is the size. It seems there aren't many watches that for men with small wrists, let alone watches that utilize blue/turquoise colors. If my wrist was bigger I'd just get one of the Orients and I'd be done with it all...

Then at what price point does it exist? The hardest part is the size. It seems there aren't many watches that for men with small wrists, let alone watches that utilize blue/turquoise colors. If my wrist was bigger I'd just get one of the Orients and I'd be done with it all...
    See the suggestion above to which you responded:

CitizenM -- A good looking watch, but yeah, above my price range. I can certainly afford watches more expensive than $200. It's just that this is my first step into "fine" watches, and I really can't justify spending that much right off the bat on my first watch.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

You might well want a big ladies watch then... if it's a fairly neutral design, nobody but you and the odd WIS will notice.

Some you might not have come across: Casio Edifice EF-106D-2AV, Seiko SDX573, Tissot PRC200 T17.1.586.42 (might just sneak in to the budget), Seiko SRP303K1 (change the strap if you don't like the red stripes), Citizen AI3730-58L, Seiko SND449P1 (may seem a bit large, but that case wears small)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information