Can't get new Oceanus 600TDA to Sync / receive atomic signal

Thread: Can't get new Oceanus 600TDA to Sync / receive atomic signal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't get new Oceanus 600TDA to Sync / receive atomic signal

I received my new Oceanus OCW600TDA-2AV on Monday and have been trying to get it to sync with the atomic clock ever since. It tries 3 times then fails with the manual process.

I've made sure I have my "Home World Time" selected, have DST selected and can even manually set the time, but I can't get it to sync.

I've tried to manually syncing it in areas around the house where my other Casio Waveceptors and atomic clocks are able to sync automatically, tried sitting it next to a window. I tried it in the evening and after 11 pm EDST, during the day, and I let it try it's 6 times automatically both nights, even went to the top floor of one of our parking garages and pointed "12:00" toward Colorado and it tries 3 times in a row and fails everytime.

Anyone have any hints? I remember my 1st Waveceptor took a little bit to sync and there are times it still fails, but I wanted to make sure this watch can sync OK before the return policy time period is up.

Thanks.

Re: Can't get new Oceanus 600TDA to Sync / receive atomic signal

I own an Oceanus and a Waveceptor, and I had to find a sweet spot in my house for them to receive the Fort Collins signal reliably. There are a few other possible causes for your problem that I can think of. Your new watch may have a bum radio receiver. I remember seeing several such watches for sale on the 'Bay with notes about "does not receive atomic signal" so it seems not uncommon. Another thought that I am less sure about, is that you are in a low-lying area very far away from the center of the USA where the signal originates. (I am also rather far, out here near the northern California coast.) I don't know if NIST has repeaters for the signal to help amplify it, but it may be that it's a bit too weak where you are for the watch to find the signal. If your other Waveceptor took a while to find it, it might be marginal. Just a few thoughts. Best of luck with it!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

have you tried all things that are written in the manual? I think it is a little complicated to consider every detail from correct home town and so on (waiting up to 14 minutes to receive a signal, which is best at night and so on)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Garden City Park, New York, United States

Fort Collins to the east coast (i am in ny) isn't always Plausable, I get lucky now and again but not constantly.
    MikeCfromLI

I lived in Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, and had a lot of problems getting my Casios to synch. I have never been able to get an Atomic Casio to synch manually ever, and I've tried everything at all times of the day and night. I don't have much of a problem here in Maryland, but my cheapest Casio Waveceptor WV59A-1AV synchs much more reliably than my expensive titanium Waveceptor GW-9100-1.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Maybe that Mayan calender stuff is coming true...

Last edited by porschefan; March 29th, 2012 at 20:01.
    Tim
    A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife.
    "Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse."Thomas Fuller

The way I understand the procedure followed at Collins, they transmit constantly but the main transmit times are midnight, 0100, 0200, 0300 and 0400. I don't know if they turn up the power at those times, or what the deal is, and have never been able to find anybody that can confirm or deny with authority. There is generally less interference at night from other sources of RF energy at night, but I believe they may increase the power out during those periods also. I am very seldom able to manually synch my atomics during the day either, being down here on the Gulf Coast, but they do receive the signal each night.

If it were me, and I were that concerned about it, I'd probably exchange the watch for another just for the peace of mind.

Mark

Your challenge is geographic/structural, I think. All of the previous posters have provided good and useful info - allow me to try to put them together:

Place your watch on the window sill, or very near a window, that faces west-north-west, or as close as possible to a north-westerly orientation. Leave it there overnight, and check the next morning. The best reception times are overnight between 2 and 4 AM Eastern time, as stated before - in addition, the signal travels better overnight withour solar interference. If that does not fix your issue, travel to a high elevation with a clear line-of-sight to the north-west, place the watch on a still surface, and kick of the manual reception.

My Skyhawk lives on my night stand, which is right next to a westerly-facing window with good sight lines to the north-west - and I get high reception quality nearly every night - and I am located just north of Atlanta. You do have a few hundred additional miles to worry about, but I am guessing you either are not facing in the right direction, or are being blocked by structures to your immediate west-north-west. If I have my Skyhawk in the closet, literally 30 feet away from the window, but through a wall, I get no reception at all.

One more thing: On the Citizen Skyhawk, the instructions specifically state that reception is done on the side of the watch opposite the crown. The orientation of the watch on my night stand actually does make a difference - I have the left side of the watch facing the north-westerly window, which provides much better reception than any other orientation.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Concertmusic; March 30th, 2012 at 15:58. Reason: typos

Garden City Park, New York, United States

I need to try this, but in NYC I am more a pure west I would imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by Concertmusic View Post
    Your challenge is geographic/structural, I think. All of the previous posters have provided good and useful info - allow me to try to put them together:

Place your watch on the window sill, or very near a window, that faces west-north-west, or as close as possible to a north-westerly orientation. Leave it there overnight, and check the next morning. The best reception times are overnight between 2 and 4 AM Eastern time, as stated before - in addition, the signal travels better overnight withour solar interference. If that does not fix your issue, travel to a high elevation with a clear line-of-sight to the north-west, place the watch on a still surface, and kick of the manual reception.

My Skyhawk lives on my night stand, which is right next to a westerly-facing window with good sigh lines to the north-west - and I get high reception quality nearly every night - and I am located just north of Atlanta. You do have a few hundred additional miles to worry about, but I am guessing you either are not facing in the right direction, or are being blocked by structures to your immediate west-north-west. If I have my Skyhawk in the closet, literally 30 feet away from the window, but through a wall, I get no reception at all.

One more thing: On the Citizen Skyhawk, the instructions specifically state that reception is done on the side of the watch opposite the crown. The orientation of the watch on my night stand actualy does make a difference - I have the left side of the watch facing the north-westerly window, which provides much better reception than any other orientation.

Good luck!
    MikeCfromLI

Quote Originally Posted by Michael G. Curry View Post
    I need to try this, but in NYC I am more a pure west I would imagine...
    Agreed - your location relative to Fort Collins, Colorado.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information