Canvas band Hamilton Khaki Field -- with a business suit?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Canvas band Hamilton Khaki Field -- with a business suit?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm by no means a WIS, as I'm a one-watch kinda guy. That said, I have a great appreciation for the craftsmanship and tradition that goes into fine watchmaking, and I've enjoyed reading this forum. As a one-watch kinda guy, I'm looking for something appropriate for daily wear, both casual and professional, etc. I am an attorney in a business suit by day, dad with two young kids in the evenings and on weekends. This will be my first "real" watch, but frankly I'm not on a Rolex budget.

I've fallen in love with the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding (H69419363 | Hamilton Watch). Everything about it speaks to me, although the one thing missing from my wishlist would be an exhibition caseback, but I can live without that.

Yet, I've hesitated because I'm not sure about the canvas band. I really like it, but I'm concerned it's not appopriate for my business suit attire at the office. I've never really been into leather bands, so if the canvas isn't quite right I'd look to replace it with a SS bracelet (based on what others have said on the forum, maybe a Watchadoo?).

I would appreciate any insights from the watch enthusiasts on this board:
    - Is the canvas band a bad idea for daily wear with a business suit?
    - Would replacing it with a SS bracelet work well? What about the "gaps" on each side, where the aftermarket bracelet meets the case?
    - And if you think a SS bracelet could work, any recommendations (including comments on the Watchadoo, specifically)?

Thanks in advance everyone!

PB

Re: Canvas band Hamilton Khaki Field -- with a business suit?

Welcome aboard, PB!

The watch you are focusing is certainly nice, I'm huge fan of Hamiltons, myself, but I think you should consider becoming a "two" watch kind of guy-- this for casual attire and something a little more formal or "dressy" for the suit and tie occasions. I personally think, a man should have a nice dress watch, a casual watch, and a sport watch at a minimum. Which somehow doesn't explain why I currently have 12 watches. Oh well.
    el_Fernando likes this.

I think you can do what you want as there are no rules. And you may even start a new trend :)
    But if you want to change the strap, I would put leather on it and not steel as an aftermarket steel band will never fit it perfectly.
    hayday likes this.
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

smb

The lighter the color of the watch band (leather or canvas) the quicker they become stained.

What about a Stowa Partito or Nomos club? They may more successfully straddle the dressy/casual divide.

I would not wear the canvas band in a business suit. That said, there are many a person wearing an enormous bright colored diver in a suit having daydreams of guns, models, and martinis, shaken, not stirred. A dress watch really should be on leather, not SS.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

It's a great choice and sounds like it will fit into your life well both professionally & personally. It looks good on canvas, would work fine with a suit (despite what some WUS might say) and could even be dressed up more with aftermarket leather strap.

I feel nice quality, aftermarket SS bracelets are a little tougher to find but they are out there. The majority are going to have straight ends at the lugs, and finding any that will match the case dimensions of your specific watch to fit without any gap will take some research (if they even exist for your watch case size at all).

Bottom line, get the watch you want, which sounds like this Hamilton , and wear it as you deem fit vice what faceless strangers at WUS think. It will look nice as is.

Share pics when you get it! Cheers!
    Last edited by Kluber; October 24th, 2014 at 19:44.

Yes, you certainly can wear that with a suit. Although truth be told though most people that you meet won't even notice your watch.
    sriracha and watchdaddy1 like this.

That's a great looking combo but I wouldn't wear that strap with a suit (says the guy who will wear anything with anything). Have you thought about getting a dress watch that you could wear with your suit as well as buying the Hammy?

Good evening,

I have the same watch (only with a black dial), and although I love it very much and it pretty much became my daily piece, I consider it a bit too casual for a suit.
    On suit days, I usually wear my Sarb033.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information