Cartier Santos - Real or Fake

Thread: Cartier Santos - Real or Fake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MJS

Cartier Santos - Real or Fake

Hello and greetings from California - Hoping ya'll can give me your expert opinions - Friday I bought a Cartier Santos for my wife (it's our 7th Wedding Anniversary). The deal was done on eBay. California seller, perfect eBay reputation with about 200 sales, 14 day return policy, and I think a decent price ($940). However, over the weekend I was comparing the case-back pics with other pictures of Cartier case-backs and can't seem to find another with a case-back that resembles the one I purchased. Now, I am worried it might be a replica - an older replica, but a replica just the same. It's scheduled for delivery sometime today, and if it gets here early enough, I will head straight to a jeweler to have it looked at. But, I'd still like some of the Cartier experts here to have a look and share your thoughts.

Be kind if you think I overpaid. When I am buying for my wife, I rarely worry about price or value. I know what she likes, and I am usually willing to overpay to get it. Of course, that grace doesn't extend to replicas.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

MichaelName:  $(KGrHqF,!qcE-+kNsFHbBP8L5,IHqQ~~60_57.JPG
Views: 6730
Size:  351.2 KBName:  $(KGrHqV,!h8E-v!oN52bBP8L3uJyD!~~60_57.JPG
Views: 6401
Size:  217.3 KBName:  $(KGrHqR,!jgE+SePTeP(BP8L4pdl-g~~60_57.JPG
Views: 6360
Size:  348.5 KBName:  $(KGrHqR,!loE-3vNNoIRBP8L4bR1Sg~~60_57.JPG
Views: 6296
Size:  291.3 KBName:  $T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQe(FYBP8L5G(o1!~~60_57.JPG
Views: 6479
Size:  440.9 KB
    Last edited by MJS; August 27th, 2012 at 23:11. Reason: Removed duplicate photograph

Banned

Re: Cartier Santos - Real or Fake

Cartier is one of the most faked brands. It loks genuine to me, but then I do not know much about Cartier.
    The best way for you is to have it checked out at a Catier AD.
    The price seems a bit low in my humble opnion.

All but impossible to tell if it is real or fake by pictures. With the back protector in place I assume it was sold as new. I did a quick google search for Cartier Santos Stainless Steel and the grey market dealers seem to be getting around $3.5k for theirs. Your price was substantially lower than that so I would say it is too good to be true if it is being sold as new. However I do not know much about that brand so I would encourage you to do some searches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's a few examples on chrono24 but none seem to match. You should definitely take it to an AD.

Cartier Santos Ronde Ladies Pre-owned for $.1,775 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

http://www.chrono24.com/en/cartier/s...m&watchTypes=U
    Last edited by MZhammer; August 28th, 2012 at 05:07.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Cartier changed the style and look (including the case) of their watches very often - there are so many variations

Go to the AD or a reputable watchmaker, open the back and take a look at what's inside

you see Japanese movement or some movement that is not Cartier signed, then you know it's a fake

you see a movement signed by Cartier, then you're closer to it being real

not 100% sure, but with this watch, it's most likely a quartz ... it will be a jeweled quartz movement signed by Cartier

congratulation on winning that watch, BTW,
    it's a very pretty watch - I did consider it as a gift for my sister

I remember seeing that one on Ebay, did a little research on the seller as well,

if I remember correctly, new ebay seller but they've been in the jewelry business for a long time, they have their own brick and mortar store in Beverly Hills
    and they're a big time player in the jewelry industry

so as far as the seller goes, they seem legit

Very hard to say. The quality of fakes these days is such that even next to the real thing it can still be hard to tell them apart unless you open the back. Sometimes even then it is still hard especially if they have eta movements with engravings.

Take it to an AD to put yourself at ease.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Up to now I have not seen any "Cartier" signature in the roman numerals being that big and that easy to read. Those I got to know have been more like micro printing. As already suggested: Get an authorized dealer have a look at it.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; August 28th, 2012 at 13:01.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

MJS

Thanks for all the input. I returned the watch to the seller yesterday. The jeweler that examined the watch concluded that the case and the band were authentic, however the movement, and the clasp were questionable. The clasp wasn't finished on the inside, behind the case-back it was quite dirty and the battery was dead (a full cleaning and new battery were claimed in the auction). And though the movement was stamped "Cartier," it was gleaming in an otherwise dirty case. So, why was the case dirty and the movement pristine? The jeweler suspected the watch had been repaired with replica parts. I returned it to the seller.

Banned

Well done for a correct decision. If in doubt, return it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information