WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Cartier Tank Basculante vs JLC Reverso

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mleok 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello chaps, I have the dress dilemma between these two options, both quartz powered.

Can you explain me why Cartier is at least 35% cheaper considering 2nd hand market and even more when new?

Any idea what quartz movements both manufacturers use? Are they ordinary ETAs or something more refined and sophisticated?

Is JLC higher rated/positioned than Cartier? Of course, this will not affect on my decision, I am just curious.

Thanks in advance.
HAGWE

#2 · (Edited)
Its hard to answer the question without any information on a particular model. What exactly is being compared here? Which Reverso are we talking about? JLC is a true manufacturer and has made movements/parts used by some of the greatest watch brands in the world with tons of history. So yes, I would say JLC is a cut above the rest and that includes Cartier relative to horological manfacturing. Cartier has is own historical significance (see Tank watch) and I am a fan of both brands that hope one day will be in my collection. Only up until a few years back Cartier started making their own movements and only on certain models but I suspect they will be all in house at some point in the future. Then again we are talking quartz but I would think JLC would use their own quartz movements but maybe someone else will chime in if they have a different answer.

#4 · (Edited)
I know it is not the case, and that I will probably receive flak for this, but I just can't shake the mindset that Cartier is more of a jewelry/expensive fashion brand than a watch brand. JLC on the other hand, is as much of a watch brand as a watch brand can possibly be. JLC gets my vote, for not only being amazing at what they do, but also because they are subjectively one of my very favorite brands, while Cartier just isn't. That being said, both watches are classics and you will be hard-pressed to go wrong with either (though quartz wouldn't be my choice).

EDIT:

Any idea what quartz movements both manufacturers use? Are they ordinary ETAs or something more refined and sophisticated?

Regarding this question (while I am not a movement expert), I do hold the opinion that in most cases, quartz is quartz. I would not know what to look for in a "refined" or "sophisticated" quartz movement. If I wanted the movement to be "refined" or "sophisticated", I would be spending a little more and getting the mechanical version.

#6 ·
Since we are talking the quartz versions I don't think there is any point in discussing the movements, neither are anything special in the quartz realm.

The Cartier uses a much more simple mechanism (for flipping) and is finished a step below the JLC. I would personally go with the JLC being that it is the iconic version of a "flipper". If you must layer them out in tiers, within the horology world, JLC is above Cartier, though in the larger picture Cartier has far more name recognition by the average person.

#8 ·
Ok guys, thank you a lot for the inputs.
I will search some info regarding the movements both of the manufacturers use.
As far as the flipping mechanism - joints and parts - which one is more reliable and robust? Consider taht I am in a hunt of 2nd hand timepiece.

#9 ·
As far as the flipping mechanism - joints and parts - which one is more reliable and robust? Consider taht I am in a hunt of 2nd hand timepiece.
The flipping mechanics of the Cartier are simpler, so in theory it should be more robust. That said the JLC is engineered VERY well and has stood the test of time... a long time. In hand the JLC feels better engineered as well.

One thing I forgot to mention is make sure you try them on, particularly the JLC, many people overlook the fact it does not fit all wrists well.

#11 ·
Cartier and Ebel founded a joint quartz movement workshop in the early 70's, and Cartier bought Ebel's share maybe by 1990 (while continuing to supply Ebel, apparently). I do not know if this watch's movement was made there, but that would be my first assumption.

Thus, Cartier was a quartz manufacture long before they started making their own mechanical movements, and in terms of quality construction and finishing, they are first-rate. That said, an ETA quartz movement will be less well decorated, but probably more adjustable and serviceable.

I do not know if JLC makes their own quartz movements. I'm quite sure they use good ones that are made to last.

As a movement manufacture, JLC is hard to match for mechanical movements. But for quartz movements, Cartier might have the greater depth.

As watch companies, both are first-rate and comparable, and both have a history of fabricating their own cases for the sake of unique styling. Both are owned by the same company and priced similarly. Both are modern interpretations of truly iconic watches that they designed generations ago.

So, JLC wins points as a manufacture, but I don't think that advantage carries to quartz watches.

Choose based on which watch fits. Not everyone can wear a Reverso comfortably.

Rick "thinking differences in resale value will defy objective consideration" Denney

#13 ·
Your wrist size, but more importantly, your wrist shape will determine how comfortably a Reverso will fit your wrist, since it has an absolutely flat caseback. The single face quartz versions with the solid caseback should be relatively thin. In particular, the JLC Reverso Classique is 38.8mm X 23.5mm X 7.2mm. Between the two, I think that the Reverso is the more iconic reversing watch, and Cartier's most iconic tank design is the one used in the Tank Louis Cartier.

#15 ·
In that case, you might find the quartz version of the JLC Reverso to be too small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.