cartier tank- XL or regular
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: cartier tank- XL or regular

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cartier tank- XL or regular

I just realized that i really like the Cartier Tank. I need to know which one you would reccomend for me- the XL with central seconds, or the regular one with no seconds. My wrist is moslty 8 inches, but some times a tad over. Maybe 8 1/3. I have no problem wearing smaller watches. I have several vintage Tank styled watches, which are all smaller. If you think the smaller one would look OK, i like the price better. If you think the bigger one, can i get it used for around $2000 USD? i think the smaller one can be had for maybe a bit less than 2K. Is the smaller one automatic?

I would rather spend less money and get the smaller one if you think i would be OK on my large wrists.
    But would also rather have the bigger one if i can ge it used for around $2000.

This may not make much sense, bu you get the idea I hope.
    Thank you-

Re: cartier tank- XL or regular

And they are the "Solo Tank" i might add.

The large one is pretty huge. I'd get the regular unless you're specifically looking for a large watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Would the regular one look puny, girly, and ridiculous on my big wrists do you think?

I think you are going to want the XL. When I think Cartier Tank, I think of what I have seen more than one stewardess wearing and what I might someday buy my wife... Personally I would not want a tiny looking one on my wrist if I had 8inch+ wrists...
    Last edited by mpalmer; March 20th, 2013 at 07:25.
    Gary123 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Hard to say in your case. My wrist is 7.25", I have a stocky frame and the Tank L is perfect. I think the XL would look funny on me plus it loses its classic proportions. Most of my watches are XL so I generally prefer larger watches except for the cartier. Women have a smaller size than the Large.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OysterQuartz is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

"Guard your time before it runs out."

Any other opinions? Maybe someone could post a wrist shot. Anybody have anpic of it next to a coke can or something? So can get an idea of the size. Im not going to be able to afford the bigger one, bu i know i want one. Im counting on WUS to help me out. Thank you all past posters so very much.

I found the Tank Solo XL to be silly large, and the addition of the date and central seconds actually detracts from the simplicity and elegance of the Cartier Tank style, which typically only has two hands. If the Tank Solo Large doesn't fit, then I would simply choose a different watch altogether, instead of getting the XL.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PDESIGNDASH View Post
    Any other opinions? Maybe someone could post a wrist shot. Anybody have anpic of it next to a coke can or something? So can get an idea of the size. Im not going to be able to afford the bigger one, bu i know i want one. Im counting on WUS to help me out. Thank you all past posters so very much.
    You'll need to get the XL one.

One warning I would give you is that for some unknown reason the Cartier website lists the dimensions of the watch the opposite way round, the correct order and dimensions are:

Quartz SMALL tank solo: 24.4mm (excluding crown) x 31mm. Thickness of 5.55mm.

Quartz LARGE tank solo: 27.4mm (excluding crown) x 34.8mm. Thickness of 5.55mm.

Automatic EXTRA-LARGE tank solo: 31mm (excluding crown) x 40.85mm. Thickness of 7.65mm.

I would still recommend that you go to a Cartier AD or boutique and try them all on and see which size you prefer.

Unfortunately the XL one is a relatively new model. As such you won't be able to get one for $2000 used.
    Last edited by Athram; March 20th, 2013 at 22:11.
    Gary123 likes this.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by PDESIGNDASH View Post
    Any other opinions?
    Try them on.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information