Cartier US Service

Thread: Cartier US Service

Cartier US Service

My wife has a Cartier Ladies Tank Francaise that is about 7 years old. I am sure the battery is going to die pretty soon and the gaskets could also stand to be replaced.

I spoke with the local Cartier store and they said that Cartier charges between $375 and $450 for their complete service and that it takes 4-5 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with Cartier's US service facility? It seems they are getting a lot of money to service a quartz watch. Here is what they do:

Opinions?
    Present: Samsung Galaxy Watch | Seiko SBDB008 | Luminox 3602
    Past: Helson Porthole | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2200.50.00 | Doxa SUB1500T | Invicta 4793 | Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL Diver | Ocean7 LM-2 | Tissot PRC200

Re: Cartier US Service

No personal experience but from a high end brand that's about what I'd expect them to charge.
    I'm sure they profit greatly but that looks like a pretty thorough service.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Seems ok to me. That´s close to what I have to pay for my wife´s Cartier watches too. I always send them in to our Cartier-HQ in Munich.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I ask because the local watchmaker who is certified to work on Rolex watches said he can do a battery change, clean, re-gasket and pressure test for about $75.

The big difference I see is that Cartier will likely replace the movement and polish the watch so it looks brand new.

I think I will leave the decision up to the wife, see what is most important to her (a working watch or a working watch that will look and be essentially new).

Thanks!
    Present: Samsung Galaxy Watch | Seiko SBDB008 | Luminox 3602
    Past: Helson Porthole | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2200.50.00 | Doxa SUB1500T | Invicta 4793 | Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL Diver | Ocean7 LM-2 | Tissot PRC200

Among the best.

Banned

Why replace the movement if it runs perfectly? Seems stupid to me. I love Cartiers Tanks. Great design on a watch of great history! The cost quoted is normal, in my experience. But I always send my watches to the Manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by shappy View Post
    I ask because the local watchmaker who is certified to work on Rolex watches said he can do a battery change, clean, re-gasket and pressure test for about $75.
    I use my local watchmaker for all non-warrenty repairs and even some warrenty repairs. The watch is only 7 years old, it needs a new battery, gaskets and a cleaning. Why spend an extra $300 for nothing except an extra 6 week wait?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeler View Post
    I use my local watchmaker for all non-warrenty repairs and even some warrenty repairs. The watch is only 7 years old, it needs a new battery, gaskets and a cleaning. Why spend an extra $300 for nothing except an extra 6 week wait?
    Would you take your Porsche or Ferrari to the local garage for a service and tune up? I would not! When I received my Jaeger back from Switzerland, the watch had a 12 month warrany on it! And, it is almost 8 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Would you take your Porsche or Ferrari to the local garage for a service and tune up?...
    OK, an ETA quartz movement isn't really a good comparision to a Ferrari engine. And an ETA battery change isn't as involved as tuning up a Ferrari, agreed? It's a battery and a gasket...not even close to working on a JLC movement (which I would send to the factory).

Banned

You are partly right! Ferrari is owned by Fiat. Lots of Fiat bits in the car. As in Alfa Romeo. But I would not take even a Fiat to the local garage.... If I owned one, that is!

Thread Information