Cartier vs Must de Cartier.
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cartier vs Must de Cartier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    South America. Is like America, but South.

Confused Cartier vs Must de Cartier.

Hey guys. Well, just arrived from my trip from NYC with, sadly, no new watches. But now, i decided i want a Cartier Tank, like the one my great-grandmother gave to my mother and then was stolen from our home. Buying a new Cartier Tank SS Medium size was my first choice, but for 2.9K plus taxes it seemed to be a little expensive. I want a used tank.

Here is the thing. Browsing the local used watches store, i saw a Tank "Must de Cartier" For a low price, around 800$. So i wonder, could anybody tell me what is this "Must de Cartier" thing, and how it is differenced from a regular Cartier Tank? Google won't give me good answers, so i come to you. It is worth buying a Must de Cartier? Or i should go for a regular Tank with the extra bucks?
    Deledda likes this.
    Omega Seamaster 2223.80
    Frederique Constant Classics 303SN5B6
    Movado Series 800 2600115
    Tissot T-Classic T.065.430.16.031.00
    Casio G-Shock G1100BD-1A
    Watch collection improving . Watch box looking good.

Re: Cartier vs Must de Cartier.

I thought it was just Women's perfume.....
    Didn't know it was a watch too.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Up until the late 1970's, Cartier was a couple of semi-independent boutiques. Eventually they went corporate, re-acquired their own licenses, etc etc.

Long story short, they needed to create an entry-level product segment and "les Must de Cartier" was it. Today's "must" watches are generally quartz, generally gold-plated, generally have a wider variety of fashion-forward dials. They are not as desirable as non-Must watches.
    Bronte, Polynwa and Deledda like this.
    Panerai | Omega | Cartier | Jrg Schauer | Hamilton | G-Shock
    Do you like to have a good time? Then you need a good watch.
    - Robert "Rocky" Balboa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The gold plating would be enough to turn me off...Is it mechanical or quartz?

I have a sterling silver quartz must de Cartier watch. Apart for the ocassinal battery replacement and a single service it underwent 5 years ago, it's been a faithful companion for over 25 years.

This model:
    Cartier Must De Cartier voor 1.770.‚ te koop van een Trusted Seller op Chrono24

The plating on the yellow gold models is vermeil which is the application of gold onto sterling silver. This leads to a very durable type of plating, as can be admired in pictures of Must watches that are over 30 years old.
    Last edited by T1meout; April 7th, 2015 at 01:56.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynwa View Post
    Hey guys. Well, just arrived from my trip from NYC with, sadly, no new watches. But now, i decided i want a Cartier Tank, like the one my great-grandmother gave to my mother and then was stolen from our home. Buying a new Cartier Tank SS Medium size was my first choice, but for 2.9K plus taxes it seemed to be a little expensive. I want a used tank.

Here is the thing. Browsing the local used watches store, i saw a Tank "Must de Cartier" For a low price, around 800$. So i wonder, could anybody tell me what is this "Must de Cartier" thing, and how it is differenced from a regular Cartier Tank? Google won't give me good answers, so i come to you. It is worth buying a Must de Cartier? Or i should go for a regular Tank with the extra bucks?
    From what I was told working at a "Vintage" Cartier dealer... Everyone "Must" own a Cartier, so they made a very "entry" level model and named it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Trel View Post
    Up until the late 1970's, Cartier was a couple of semi-independent boutiques. Eventually they went corporate, re-acquired their own licenses, etc etc.

Long story short, they needed to create an entry-level product segment and "les Must de Cartier" was it. Today's "must" watches are generally quartz, generally gold-plated, generally have a wider variety of fashion-forward dials. They are not as desirable as non-Must watches.
    Beaten to it.

There is nothing wrong with the Must line, and by all means get it if you like it and it's in your budget. I would suggest, however, holding one and comparing it to a non-must example. From my limited experience with Cartier, the standard Cartier tanks are better made and feel better on the wrist. Hope you had a great time in NYC.
    Deledda and timestamp like this.

I bought a Must de Cartier "Tank" for an old gf back in the late 90's. As the above posters note most models are plate gold and quartz. Kind of an entry level line - like TAG's plastic Formula 1 watches. Although sometimes advertised on Ebay as a women's watch, I believe their tank models were actually unisex. They just are sort of small in comparison to the modern monstrosities that men opt to wear these days.

I wore my gf's watch on ocassion and I thought the dial and case work was very pretty and really well done (nicely detailed dial and lettering). I've handled the regular tanks and in comparison it's close to the same IMHO.

However, that said, they are really known as the cheap stuff for Cartier and maybe derided as not a "real Cartier". OTOH, If you just like the classic look and want to save a few bucks - get the Must. I've actually considered a few times getting a Must simply because I'm cheap but I really like their design.

If poneying up a little more is no big deal, I'd go for a regular tank - I think some of the manual wind vintages can still be had for a grand and a half.

Every thread needs a photo.

Name:  Capture4.jpg
Views: 8564
Size:  57.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information