Case: Ceramic vs. Tungsten/Tourbillon Movement: Seagull vs. Liaoning

Thread: Case: Ceramic vs. Tungsten/Tourbillon Movement: Seagull vs. Liaoning

Case: Ceramic vs. Tungsten/Tourbillon Movement: Seagull vs. Liaoning

I am considering purchasing an Android Tourbillon w. a Chinese movement. I have the option of getting the watch with either a black ceramic or tungsten case instead of stainless steel.

1. Could someone run down the pros and cons of ceramic vs. tungsten. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each both in terms of scratch resistance, upkeep and ability to withstand the years, and appearance? Which typically costs more, and which would you opt for if the price were equal?

2. I am curious as to which Chinese tourbillon movement is perceived as the superior one? Is there a difference in make quality or reliability between the Seagull toubillon and the Liaoning? Which one is easier to get serviced?

3. When a Chinese tourbillon movement needs to be serviced who do you take it to to get it worked on? Can this be done, and at what expense? I am not particularly concerned with it blowing up during the warranty period, but what happens when it is time to be serviced? How hard is it to find someone who could work on one or get parts if need be?

4. Does anyone know which movement the Android tourbillon watches use - the Seagull or the Lioning movement?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Last edited by mpalmer; January 31st, 2012 at 05:47.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Re: Case: Ceramic vs. Tungsten/Tourbillon Movement: Seagull vs. Liaoning

Just by looking at the tourbillon I saw from Android I think it looks more like a Hangzou tourbillon. Seagull has a great rep but Liaoning has proven to make very nice flying tourbillon's. Hangzhou also has a good reputation when it comes to tourbillons. I might be wrong about what is in the watch though

I was not even aware of the Hangzhou movement until you mentioned it. However, upon learning about it, I think you are correct, that is what the Android's are using.

So the questions are altered - Which is the most reliable movement: Seagull, Lioaning, or Hangzhou? Is there any significant difference between them in terms of reliability, servicing, and general performance in keeping time.

I realize this is a difficult question because it is unlikely someone owns all three movements, but any input would be appreciated.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Forget about all the comparison for now and first find a watchmaker in your area that will touch a Chinese tourbillon before dropping the cash. I've mentioned this before in a previous thread but as much as I love my Seagull tourbillon, it's one of my least worn watches because of the difficulty locating a watchmaker are willing to work on them. I'm personally very hesitant to mail expensive watches over long distances as A LOT can go wrong in the transportation process, especially to a delicate/sensitive movement like the tourbillon.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I am considering purchasing an Android Tourbillon w. a Chinese movement. I have the option of getting the watch with either a black ceramic or tungsten case instead of stainless steel.

1. Could someone run down the pros and cons of ceramic vs. tungsten. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each both in terms of scratch resistance, upkeep and ability to withstand the years, and appearance? Which typically costs more, and which would you opt for if the price were equal?

2. I am curious as to which Chinese tourbillon movement is perceived as the superior one? Is there a difference in make quality or reliability between the Seagull toubillon and the Liaoning? Which one is easier to get serviced?

3. When a Chinese tourbillon movement needs to be serviced who do you take it to to get it worked on? Can this be done, and at what expense? I am not particularly concerned with it blowing up during the warranty period, but what happens when it is time to be serviced? How hard is it to find someone who could work on one or get parts if need be?

4. Does anyone know which movement the Android tourbillon watches use - the Seagull or the Lioning movement?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    I would ask in the chinese watch subforum if i where in your position.
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Thread Information