Casio vs Breitling

View Poll Results: Which side of the fence are you on?

Voters
62. This poll is closed
  • Swiss is over-rated, go with the Casio

15 24.19%
  • Swiss is timeless and classic, go with the Breitling

30 48.39%
  • First one, then the other

12 19.35%
  • Neither if your G-Shock is still ticking

5 8.06%

Thread: Casio vs Breitling

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Casio vs Breitling

No I am not kidding my in title of 'Casio vs Breitling' and forgive the probable length, I am trying to explain/justify such a title.

Since I was young and was able to understand the differences between one watch and another I knew that one day I wanted to own a fine Swiss time piece, one of those I am merely looking after it for the next generation / its not a watch its a time piece kind of things. As time went on I looked through the various makes and models and some I crossed off due to style, and some I continue to drool over but know I will never be able to drop the $20k+ on. In the end the Breitling Chrono Avenger Stencil Series w/ a Black Dial is what did it for me... the only catch is now saving for the $3,800 USD price tag.

This is where I think most of my question comes from... I never really paid attention to actually owning a Swiss piece due to the cost, but when I did the math and broke the savings down to see it was a doable thing I started. Maybe now that I am approaching my goal to a degree I am starting to think, "am I really going to drop that much on a watch... two months mortgage on a watch"... which leads me to the title of the poll.

The other day when checking the time I looked down at my Casio G-Shock MTG-900 which I have had for 8 years now. I've worn it through concrete construction, being a bouncer, diving, and generally beating the heck out of the thing. Then, despite being in the process of saving for the above I started looking at some of the new G-Shocks and then the Pathfinders and found some really nice watches. That is when it starts to make me wonder...

With a Casio you're paying a couple hundred for a watch that you can beat the heck out of for a decade-plus and it will still run strong, is solar, is atomic so you are always accurate (something I am absolutely huge on knowing my watch is right and others are off those 4-5 seconds)...and with the newer models I can also have a thermometer, altimeter, barometer, moon phases, high/low tide tracking, and compass.

With the Breitling you are getting a finely made automatic mechanical movement in stunning eye candy carrying its COSC certification. However, COSC still will need to be adjusted from time to time, the date will need to be manually adjusted on months shorter than 31 days and the watch will need to be serviced here and there... then there is the price change of another zero on the end.

So, in general public opinion, and in the eyes of those who own one or the other or both, thoughts and opinions please when it comes to the purchase dilema.

Some eye-candy for you, the Pathfinder and the Avenger....

ejp

Re: Casio vs Breitling

Well, if you want a watch just to tell the time you can't go wrong with the G for all the reasons you already mentioned.

But for some of us a watch is the aeqivalent of jewellery or a piece of art. Do you need a Breitling? Hell, no.
    Do you want one? Well, I know I do...

You may find Citizen to be a better comparison to Breitling. You should check out the Nighthawk or the Skyhawk, both with aviation styling. They also have some JDM models that could similarly compete with Breitling's styling.

I say if you are in the process of saving or are wary of spending that type of money to seriously consider Citizen, not that there is anything wrong with Casio.

For reference:

JDM Attesa:

Nighthawk:

Skyhawk:

Citizen also makes some more streamlined Chronos like the Chrono Avenger...but then so do a lot of other companies at a fraction of the price (ie: Seiko). Orient also has some Breitling styled watches...and of course Casio has some too, but I think they are hit or miss for a direct comparison.
    Last edited by f4nt0m4s; April 16th, 2010 at 21:29.
    I Am Jack's Colon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

double post
    Last edited by TimeOnTarget; April 16th, 2010 at 21:36. Reason: double post
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Well, I really should not talk as I have owned at least $20k worth of watches over the years. I buy, wear, trade, sell as my tastes and use change.

I own/have owned several Breitlings too. From a practical stand point, the Casio always makes more sense. But then sense is not the only reason we buy things. Buy an expensive watch, whether Swiss or Japanese, only if the ownership of that matters to you. We go on and on around here about this watch and that watch, but you have to personally derive enough pleasure from the watch to justify the price.

Rolex is the best example. Most people buy a Rolex because it represents an achievement to them. I don't have a problem with that.
    Last edited by TimeOnTarget; April 16th, 2010 at 21:36. Reason: spelling
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

There are cheaper Swiss watches than a Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by f4nt0m4s View Post
    You may find Citizen to be a better comparison to Breitling. You should check out the Nighthawk or the Skyhawk, both with aviation styling. They also have some JDM models that could similarly compete with Breitling's styling.

I say if you are in the process of saving or are wary of spending that type of money to seriously consider Citizen, not that there is anything wrong with Casio... Citizen also makes some more streamlined Chronos like the Chrono Avenger...but then so do a lot of other companies at a fraction of the price (ie: Seiko). Orient also has some Breitling styled watches...and of course Casio has some too, but I think they are hit or miss for a direct comparison.
    Citizen was one of my first stops in the fine watch world and honestly one of the things that made me cross them off my list (temporarily) is the fact that it isnt Swiss. Im not saying there is anything wrong with them, or that I wont own one down the line, but at the time I figured if I was going to get a 'real' watch it would be the Swiss movement that kept floating around the back of my mind all these years.

This mental price roadblock I am currently in may indeed yield a Citizen watch if I opt to let the Swiss fetish go for a while... if that is the case I will find myself in a new watch quicker than expected as I have already saved well enough to pick up a Citizen of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
    From a practical stand point, the Casio always makes more sense. But then sense is not the only reason we buy things. Buy an expensive watch, whether Swiss or Japanese, only if the ownership of that matters to you.
    Excellent point.

I know its the watch I want, its caused a puddle of drool for a couple of years now but now that I am in this process it is kind of like the marriage cold feet of am I really prepared to drop this kind of cash. I know it doesnt help that my wife things I am insane, yet those who collect watches that I know think I am insane for not having purchased yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMustard View Post
    There are cheaper Swiss watches than a Breitling.
    I know there are, and I've looked and gone through them (not all as the market is vast but many). In the end when I sat down a while back to think about what Swiss watch would be my first (and probably only) I decided I was not going to pick based on cost or brand but instead on appearance, features and qualities that stood out to me. I poured through Omega and Rolex and found only the Seamaster & Submariner to be of my liking generally speaking (but having a watch very similar already I crossed it off the list). As I mentioned in the first posts I found a couple of Vacheron's and Philippe's that I loved but could never justify the $19k+ price tags on the particular models. I poured through others, IWC, A. Lange, Ball, Breguet, Cartier, Chopard, Tag, etc. etc. and nothing really stole my heart until I hit the Breitling site and found the Avenger.
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; April 16th, 2010 at 21:57.

Wink Re: Casio vs Breitling

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishElite22 View Post
    Excellent point.

I know its the watch I want, its caused a puddle of drool for a couple of years now but now that I am in this process it is kind of like the marriage cold feet of am I really prepared to drop this kind of cash. I know it doesnt help that my wife things I am insane, yet those who collect watches that I know think I am insane for not having purchased yet.
    I wouldn't worry about what anyone who collects watches thinks. I will say that a nice mechanical timepiece with proper servicing/maintenance can last a lifetime. There is also a sense of old world craftsmanship and quality that you get when you buy a nice mechanical watch that is boldly absent when you buy a Quartz-computer piece like the Casio.

Having said that, I know nothing of the Breitling piece since they're not my cuppa and I know nothing of you personally (are you going to be a flipper, or are you buying that one watch to hold onto forever).

If watches are going to be your hobby and you plan to amass a collection or become a flipaholic, I'd say we can go with the insanity plea.

Otherwise...owning a fine watch is a finer thing in life, just like a nice suit or a nice pair of shoes.
    I Am Jack's Colon

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I find myself plagued by a lot of the same issues as you. I really, really like a lot of watches. Rolexes, Omegas, Breitlings, Tags, etc. I definitely want one. But I find I'm always coming up against the same intellectual jam that you do - what am I really getting for my money. When you're talking about watches in the kind of price range that's a lot of cash - especially for you typical working stiff.

There are a couple platitudes that can be recited - the history of the watch, the exclusivity, the engineering ingenuity of it all, the rarity. I buy into all that, but I'm still not convinced that, for me, it's worth the money. That's why I've spend hours holding the watches in my hand - check and rechecking the price (as though someone, magically, the number will grow smaller each time I check), and ultimately 'wait on it' for a little while.

What would I do in your position (aka my position as well)? As you can see by my paltry list of watches I'd continue to wait and be happy with what you have. Buying an expensive watch just won't be as much fun if there's any doubt in mind. If you regret it - even a little - even just for personal financial reasons, I think the enjoyment will be, if not entirely lost, seriously mitigated. I say wait for it until you get that gut feeling that the time is right to drop big coin on a luxury good.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Both are great watches.

I tend to prefer mechanical watches for their engineering and "soul". It doesn't make them any better, I just like them differently.

That said, my only Breitling is a quartz B-1 - go figure.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Rolex 16610 Y
    Breitling B-1
    Tawatec E.O. Diver auto
    Seiko SNL-001
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Casio 1300g-1v
    Casio GW-7900-B1

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information