Categorize the watches you own or want to own
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ulackfocus

Thread: Categorize the watches you own or want to own

Categorize the watches you own or want to own

Hi all,

I've just been a lurker for sometime and didn't find any reason to post as I just searched the forum for the questions I had about complications, movements and brands.

Just out of curiosity, to better know other watches that are quartz and mechanical and also know who has a niche market I'd like to categorize watches based on the current occasion and outfit. Actually, this is the reason behind why I would want to buy more than 1 watch.

Women have alot of accessories like earrings, necklaces, bags, bangles, bracelets, shoes and so on. But for me, men only need watches (and shades/glasses). To each his own of course :)
    Gals please do also post.

Post some pictures if you can.

What do you wear on the following categories,

Casual (wearing shorts or jeans)
    -Mall
    -Going out with buddies
    -Dating
    -Party/getting wasted

Semi formal
    -Office
    -Party

Formal (suit or dress) or dress watches as they call it
    -Party or some kind of party that requires a suit or dress
    -Office

Outdoor
    -Hiking, biking
    -mountain climbing or other extreme sports
    -beach, surfing, swimming
    -diving
    -work (work that requires you to be more physical like engineers maybe?)

So there. Basically I just categorized them outdoor, casual, semi formal, and formal.

I currently have 4 watches

For my casual.
    I have an Omega Speedmaster Date. This is what I use when I go out with my GF, eat out and drink with my friends. And this is also my first automatic watch . This goes well with me wearing shorts. It reminds me of Charlie Harper from Two and a Half Men.
    Name:  32113000-20.png
Views: 966
Size:  110.7 KB
    I also have a Black Fossil. The watch itself is just painted black. The metal bracelet looks like it has a porcelain part but it's just black paint as well. The paint is the only thing I hate about this watch. The Black looks good but when the pain comes off due to scratches, you can see the stainless metal.

For my Semi formal attire or everyday use at the office
    I have a Trainmaster Moonlight Special LE with a metal strap. Other than being a limited edition, I love the triple date even though I have to adjust it every 1 or 2 months.
    I'm a programmer by the way. The watch is very useful on deadlines, meetings, signing forms, lunch breaks and overtime . I get to use the month day date very much. Chronometer not so much. Moonphase is just cool.
    Name:  CM1036D-S1J-BR_alt1.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  98.6 KB
    For my dress watch I have a 36mm Rolex Datejust.
    I bought this watch for its in house movement. Accurate, CSOC certified, and simple.
    The watch has a white Gold fluted bezel distinctive to the Rolex brand, a Jubilee bracelet, and a plain blue face with Roman dial. I didn't like the face with Rolex markings all over it. It's like dizzying. I couldn't find any good picture. I don't know why, but diamonds and yellow gold doesn't appeal to me. It makes me feel old, maybe when I'm in my 50's I'd buy one. But the rose gold catches my eye. Copper color looks nice
    Name:  ROLEX%20-%20SS%20Jubilee%20Blue%20Roman%20main.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  20.7 KB

I don't have an outdoor watch as of know. I'll be looking for a watch with would look good with a rubber bracelet I think.

I'm also thinking about another or a replacement dress watch. I'm thinking of investing my money on a perpetual calendar watch. Maybe a Jaeger or an IWC. The watch would be a classic and last a lifetime I'm also thinking that leather bracelets go better with suits, makes us look more formal. What do you think?
    Last edited by Xeth; March 11th, 2011 at 14:24.

Re: Categorize the watches you own or want to own

I have the same approach to collecting. A watch for every occasion. Here are my go-to pieces....

Casual/Mall: Oris Diver (borrowed pic)
    Name:  10953_1257723651033_1467895369_7278.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  44.2 KB

Going out: Omega PO or Breitling Navi World
    Name:  IMG_2268.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1995.JPG
Views: 747
Size:  96.9 KB

Work/Semi-Dressy: Longines Master Collection Chrono
    Name:  IMG_1931.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  86.5 KB

Dress: Oris SS Pointer Date or Movado Temo (borrowed pic)
    Name:  IMG_2400.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  162.9 KB
    Name:  _5642803.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  24.9 KB

Beater: Boschett Cave Dweller II (borrowed pic)
    Name:  cd2-31.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  112.1 KB

Of course, all of these categories overlap, and I've worn all of them in almost all situations.
    @watchalefty on Instagram

Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar, H. Moser & Cie Pioneer, Zenith Captain Winsor, JLC Reverso Grande Taille, Breitling Navitimer
    , Zenith 36'000 VPH, Habring2 Foudroyante, IWC Ingenieur 3239, Nomos Metro 38, Bremont Supermarine, Omega Speedmaster, Omega Planet Ocean, Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph, Stowa Flieger, Egard Shade, Lew & Huey Phantom, NTH DevilRay, Mercer Lexington, etc.

Business casual/semi-formal = Planet Ocean on bracelet (it's more casual when on the rubber)

Name:  L1010157.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  304.1 KB

Office/Formal = Omega Aqua Terra. I also have a Raymond Weil quartz on strap, but no pic at the moment.

Name:  L1010156.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  307.2 KB

All other casual, i.e. mall, ballgames, etc. = Sinn 656 (this is incoming at the moment, this is a pic from Watchbuys website).

Name:  sinn656bracelet_952_detail.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  74.7 KB

What I still want, is a chrono, probably a Speedmaster, or maybe a lower cost option = Sinn 356.
    Last edited by stndrdtime; March 13th, 2011 at 04:48.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Category 1: watches I can't afford but want
    Category 2: watches I can't afford that look stupid
    Category 3: watches I can afford and will own eventually
    Category 4: watches I can afford that I won't own because they're ugly
    Category 5: watches I own now
    Category 6: watches I've already owned

'zat cover it?
    devilmoon likes this.

Dennis it's almost like your'e reading my mind, except I didn't consider ugly watches I can afford or not.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Category 1: watches I can't afford but want
    Category 2: watches I can't afford that look stupid
    Category 3: watches I can afford and will own eventually
    Category 4: watches I can afford that I won't own because they're ugly
    Category 5: watches I own now
    Category 6: watches I've already owned

'zat cover it?
    Since joining this forum late last year, I've added a disproportionate amount of watches that fall under categories 1, 2 and 4.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Xeth View Post
    Hi all,

I've just been a lurker for sometime and didn't find any reason to post as I just searched the forum for the questions I had about complications, movements and brands.

Just out of curiosity, to better know other watches that are quartz and mechanical and also know who has a niche market I'd like to categorize watches based on the current occasion and outfit. Actually, this is the reason behind why I would want to buy more than 1 watch.

Women have alot of accessories like earrings, necklaces, bags, bangles, bracelets, shoes and so on. But for me, men only need watches (and shades/glasses). To each his own of course :)
    Gals please do also post.

Post some pictures if you can.

What do you wear on the following categories,

Casual (wearing shorts or jeans)
    -Mall
    -Going out with buddies
    -Dating
    -Party/getting wasted

Semi formal
    -Office
    -Party

Formal (suit or dress) or dress watches as they call it
    -Party or some kind of party that requires a suit or dress
    -Office

Outdoor
    -Hiking, biking
    -mountain climbing or other extreme sports
    -beach, surfing, swimming
    -diving
    -work (work that requires you to be more physical like engineers maybe?)

So there. Basically I just categorized them outdoor, casual, semi formal, and formal.
    All of the above:

Name:  DOXA2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  64.9 KB
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I've noticed that many of you have written "mall" like a synonym for "casual", as if the only thing you do outside of work is hang out at the mall.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSo View Post
    I've noticed that many of you have written "mall" like a synonym for "casual", as if the only thing you do outside of work is hang out at the mall.

Well, I used the term because the OP used it. In truth, I go to a mall maybe 4-5 times a year and only when I desperately need something. But, in my experience mall attire is very casual, so in that regard the descriptor fits.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stndrdtime View Post
    In truth, I go to a mall maybe 4-5 times a year and only when I desperately need something.
    I heard it's potentially lethal for a man over 25 to be in the mall more than 6 hours total in one calendar year. Isn't there an advisory against it, like the ones you see for eating too much shellfish?

Thread Information