Certina DS-1 Powermatic
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Certina DS-1 Powermatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina DS-1 Powermatic

So this brand caught my eye and doing some research seems like Certina is an excellent brand that’s maybe a notch above Tissot.

I came across the DS-1 however it seems the ones I’m seeing have been discontinued. The blue, Titanium, and the black with that same bracelet. It seems now the only ones are Silver and black which come on a different bracelet.

Are the new models similar in quality? I can’t seem to find the older models even preowned.

Re: Certina DS-1 Powermatic

Certina has built up a solid rep and although I don’t own one I can’t imagine them suddenly producing watches of a lower quality.

They can be found on eBay sometimes as well as other NOS vendors if you shop around enough.

Certain makes great watches for their price point, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    They can be found on eBay sometimes as well as other NOS vendors if you shop around enough.

Certain makes great watches for their price point, IMHO.
    How do the newer models compare to those older?

Bump

Prior to 2016, the Certina DS-1 watches used an ETA 2824-2 movement. Since 2016, they now use what is termed the “Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80” movement.

Probably, the best way for you to understand and have an appreciation for the difference between the “older” and the “newer” Certina DS-1 watches is for you to research the ETA 2824-2 movement and the Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80 movement using both WUS own search engine facility and on the web itself. So you can draw your own conclusions.

Below are two links to get you started:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/cer...t-1683818.html

https://timetransformed.com/2016/03/...powermatic-80/
    Munchie and RickHoliday like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    Prior to 2016, the Certina DS-1 watches used an ETA 2824-2 movement. Since 2016, they now use what is termed the “Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80” movement.

Probably, the best way for you to understand and have an appreciation for the difference between the “older” and the “newer” Certina DS-1 watches is for you to research the ETA 2824-2 movement and the Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80 movement using both WUS own search engine facility and on the web itself. So you can draw your own conclusions.

Below are two links to get you started:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/cer...t-1683818.html

https://timetransformed.com/2016/03/...powermatic-80/
    Thanks for the insight..will research

I think however my main thing is the older versions are more aesthetic.

If you can find one, I recommend snagging it.

I've owned 3 Certinas but all three were quartz: 1 x DS-2 Precidrive HAQ and 2 x DS First 200M Dive Chronograph (one in steel/rubber, the second in titanium/bracelet). I would rank the overall quality/fit/finish/build on par with Hamilton or Mido, which are the other two Swatch Group brands I have owned. In all three brands, there are always varying degrees of irritations which I associate with Swatch Group: poor lume, imperfect date window/wheel matches, unimaginative sub-dials, lack of precision minute/second indices, squishy pushers, and no AR coating.

On the other hand, on the plus side, all three watches were rated at 200M, w/sapphire, screw-down crowns, and had very solid builds, were legible, and were really comfortable on the wrist. The rubber strap on my DS First was A+ quality; so were the bracelets on my DS-2 and titanium DS First. The DS-2 Precidrive is a truly impressive machine, its thermo-compensated ETA quartz movement accurate to +/- 10 second per YEAR. I owned mine for about 8-9 months, and it was +3 or +4 seconds when I sold it. I really disliked the green chrono hands, the green detailing, and aside from sub-dials, that the only Arabic numerals were on a fixed decimal scale bezel which was positioned right under a tachymeter.

The DS First clearly struck a chord with me, since I brought it twice. I really liked that it uses a central minute chronograph register (like the Lemania 5100 of yore); it also had a quickset main hour hand, a 120-click dive bezel, and a striking high-visibility handset. 200M water resistance, date, running seconds, 12-hr register -- it's a bit of a Swiss Army knife. I did have a mechanical issue (fixable) on my second DS First, and it was irritating and I overreacted in a few posts, but I got over it and really appreciated the watch for it's functionality and quality.

The DS Firsts are very modern sports watch, and they were ultimately a bit too sleek, too shiny for my taste. None of these watches utilize Arabic numerals for the main hour/minute markers, and the applied markers are unimaginative metal sticks. However some folks dig that austerity, it's just not to my taste. But again, it's a ton of functionality in a nice 41mm x 12.5mm thick package.

I would assume all Certinas are at the same level of finish/fit/build as the ones I owned, and for the GM pricing on them, they're a great value. The automatics are using the Powermatic 80, which is a fairly battle-tested and highly scrutinized movement by now, and I don't read many complaints. It's a movement that can be repaired and serviced by any decent watch repair shop. The trade-off between beat rate and power reserve is a fair one IMO; once you get used to a three day power reserve, it's tough to go back to a 38-42 hours.

I bought my DS-2 and my first DS First at Ashford; both of them were $300-ish on sale. I bought my second DS First at Jomashop for about $300 total. FWIW, when I listed them for sale, they all three sold in a flash.

IMO, I think you can buy with a degree of confidence that it's going to be worth the money.

Gratuitous pictures ... I find Swatch's lack of AR coating only truly irritating when I'm trying to take pictures ...

Name:  Certina-DS2-WRUW-041918-HH-02.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  124.7 KB
    DS-2 ... great watch, but truly irritating that such a precise watch has blunt, imprecise hour/minute hands.

Name:  Certina-DSFirst-WRUW-031618.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  130.9 KB
    Slick and legible, but the date window looks like it was punched out by a machine, which I guess it was.

Name:  Certina-DSFirst-Ti-WRUW-110618-02.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  114.0 KB
    Super light weight ... it's hard to tell from this picture but the watch wore very snug, very thin, but looks bigger because of the 22mm lugs.
    beefsupreme likes this.

I love my DS-1 Diver. Their finishing is flawless as it hangs with my "higher-end" sector looking no different. Here's a fairly poor pic, sorry:

Name:  elPPMPG.png
Views: 76
Size:  762.0 KB
    IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (stainless) - IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (white 18K) - Rolex Yachtmaster - Tag Heuer Limited Edition DiCaprio Aquaracer (Blue) - Edox Grand Ocean Day/Date - Eterna Kontiki Diver (Black) - Longines Hydroconquest (Black, Red bezel) - Certina DS Action (Black) - Victorinox Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Jubilee (Red), Collection State: Happily closed.

See if you can pick up the older version with the smoother 2824 rather than the lowbeat P-80, unless the 80 hour PR is mandatory.

Certina quality is good, but don’t pay anywhere near MSRP for one. They can be found discounted.

I thought I was getting a great deal on a quartz HAQ DS-2 at 50% of MSRP, only to find they are now selling at more like 33%.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information