Change Rubber Watch Strap Yearly?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Change Rubber Watch Strap Yearly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Change Rubber Watch Strap Yearly?

I recently read on a site, that was selling watch straps, that even rubber straps should be changed yearly.

Can anyone confirm and/or explain why this is?

I recently purchased an Oris Artix on rubber, I'm pretty sure the strap is fairly high quality. I am suprised it will only last a year. I'm pretty much going to be wearing this watch daily, as I am not much of a collector, yet...

Re: Change Rubber Watch Strap Yearly?

Sounds like they want to sell you more straps. I generally don't wear a rubber strap daily, but I don't see a scenario where it'll only last a year, unless you work around chemicals or something.
    bacari likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

More salesman BS, why on earth would you change it if there's nothing wrong with it ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by monza06 View Post
    More salesman BS, why on earth would you change it if there's nothing wrong with it ?
    I agree, but I was wondering if exposing a rubber strap to skin/sweat daily might have a negative effect on the rubber. For instance, might it loosen up, or perhaps the surface my start to chalk or flake away?

I was hoping someone who wears a rubber strap watch could pipe in and tell their experiences, either positive or negative.

Personally, I like the look of metal straps better, but they just dont work for me for daily worn watches. Either the watch slides around like crazy, or its too tight and pinches the nerves in my wrist when I type. I can tolerate them for social occasions, but not daily use. Leather and especially rubber are really nice because the additional friction keeps them stuck on my wrist without having to tighten them down. My new Oris is absolutely perfect in this regard, it stays put yet does not fell the slightest bit tight even if worn all day.

No way, I don't really like rubber straps but I had a watch once with a pair of rubber straps and I've worn it occasionally for over two years and it was fine.

Long story, short version....Many years ago I had to wear a cheaper watch (Heuer) with a rubber strap.
    It was a tropical(Jungle,Central America) location for over a year....Strap fell apart after 5or 6 months.
    Replaced strap(rubber) same thing! I hate rubber straps!!! Now, I can't say about what the quality was.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    Long story, short version....Many years ago I had to wear a cheaper watch (Heuer) with a rubber strap.
    It was a tropical(Jungle,Central America) location for over a year....Strap fell apart after 5or 6 months.
    Replaced strap(rubber) same thing! I hate rubber straps!!! Now, I can't say about what the quality was.
    Interesting. I cant imagine that Oris makes a significantly better strap than Tag Heuer, so I may have this problem as well.

By fell apart, what happened to it? Did it start tearing or something?

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    I recently read on a site, that was selling watch straps, that even rubber straps should be changed yearly.

I recently purchased an Oris Artix on rubber, I'm pretty sure the strap is fairly high quality. I am suprised it will only last a year. I'm pretty much going to be wearing this watch daily, as I am not much of a collector, yet...
    Obviously to sell more straps. Not a very solid sales tactic in this case. "Buy our straps, they'll fall apart!" I have several rubber straps and most if them are well over a year old, and most still look brand new. Your Oris strap will last a long time so don't sweat it (bad pun). Straps, like shoes, benefit from rest time, so it will last much longer if given a regular day off.

Yeah ... They're trying to sell more straps. Every year? What nonsense. Any decent rubber strap will easily last longer than a year. Easily. If it's a low-priced one and you do a lot of swimming, there might be just a tiny bit of fading. But that's it.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Interesting. I cant imagine that Oris makes a significantly better strap than Tag Heuer, so I may have this problem as well.

By fell apart, what happened to it? Did it start tearing or something?
    It was a buckle strap...it got brittle at the folding point at the tang...They broke off...I did wear it 24hrs. a day....
    Leather would never work there. Actually looked like they had dried out.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information