Change Tissot watch battery myself?

Thread: Change Tissot watch battery myself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Change Tissot watch battery myself?

How hard and risky is it to change a watch battery myself, more specifically for a Tissot PRC-200? I've read several horror stories of people getting a pristine watch in return with scratches and damages, and I suppose the watch-dealer doesn't do this for loose change either...

Re: Change Tissot watch battery myself?

Quote Originally Posted by BackInTime View Post
    How hard and risky is it to change a watch battery myself, more specifically for a Tissot PRC-200? I've read several horror stories of people getting a pristine watch in return with scratches and damages, and I suppose the watch-dealer doesn't do this for loose change either...
    It is indeed possible to change batteries at home, but you need the proper tools. Otherwise you will screw it up more than a shopping mall merchant that charges pocket change. To remove the back you will need either a good case back knife for a snap back or a case wrench for a screw back. And you will need a decent set of jewelers screwdrivers. Be prepared to inspect and replace the case back seal - a thin o-ring. And refer to the instructions for whether the movement has to be shorted to get it started again.

The fee a good jeweler or watch repair shop charges for small things like battery changes and bracelet sizing is usually reflected in a job well done.
    Last edited by John MS; April 4th, 2015 at 16:44.

If you feel comfortable in nimbleness of hands, I'd suggest doing it yourself. Only have 2 quartz watches here, but change batteries myself on both of them - it's easy, cheap, and makes me feel like I'm able to do something on my own.
    Getting a battery is easy off Amazon, and I think there are couple tools everyone should own anyway - like bergeron springbar tool and a case back removal tool. PRC-200 has a screw-on case back w notches all around - tool for that can be had as low as $15 (although pro-tools can be $150+).

On the other hand if you don't want to bother w a tool - most kiosk places will be able to do it for $5-10. ANd it's not likely that anything will be scratched as this case does not require a knife or anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What John has said basically. You can do it (the PRC200 is easy) but you will need the right tools.

If you've never used a caseback tool before, and the caseback is very tightly secured, there's a very good chance that it'll slip and you'll end up scratching up the caseback.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    If you've never used a caseback tool before, and the caseback is very tightly secured, there's a very good chance that it'll slip and you'll end up scratching up the caseback.
    And, if you use a cheap tool, it will probably slip and scratch your back.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Jareds used to offer a "Lifetime Battery Replacement" - 25 dollars (OK, that was 8 or 9 years ago) and they would replace it for free after that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last time I had a battery change I think it cost < 10 USD. That's worth it for me. Just like oil changes. They've gotten so cheap that it's no longer worth the effort for me. I'd rather sit on my butt reading for 20 minutes than take the hour to rearrange everything, do it, and clean up afterwards. You always end up paying when you do things cheap, even if it isn't always quantified in dollars. That said, it's not too hard to open the caseback, but as mentioned, one screw up and you've got a slash on the caseback.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

With the right tools its a piece of cake, just take your time.

As above - the right told it is super easy. No need to go through the motions with a service place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information