Is changing of batt really that horrifying?

Thread: Is changing of batt really that horrifying?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is changing of batt really that horrifying?

Hi, after reading thru this forum for sometime. I seems to notice many watch owner has the resist or fright of getting their watch for a batt change if batt went flat.. Most of their reason will be lost of water resist abilities and bad scratch of watch case back.

For me,I usually change batt myself,so will take care of the backcase. As for the lost of water resist function. So far I never encounter that,I even change a 3ATM watch of its batt and I bring it for a pool swim. The watch is now working as good as ever with no lost of it water resist abilities. WHat is so frightening abt changing a batt?

stuffler,mike

Re: Is changing of batt really that horrifying?

Don´t know. My watches are mechanical. Do you also check the condition of the gaskets and the O-ring when changing the batt ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Don´t know. My watches are mechanical. Do you also check the condition of the gaskets and the O-ring when changing the batt ?
    Hi MIke,I like prefer mechanical watch too. But I am a kind of sport guys, stop watch function is a must for me and only digital quartz can do that accurately.

Btw,Oil is still there and the ring is fine...
    Last edited by GMT-II; April 8th, 2007 at 20:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    Hi MIke,I like prefer mechanical watch too. But I am a kind of sport guys, stop watch function is a must for me and only digital quartz can do that accurately.

Btw,Oil is still there and the ring is fine...
    I'm a quartz guy, so you may consider me prejudiced.

I've been trying to find a way of expressing what I want to say without offending anyone and if what follows does offend anyone, let me apologize in advance. It can only be because I haven't expressed it as well as I would like. And obviously, none of this applies to the many (Mike and GMT-II among others) who appreciate the merits of both types and who see the charms of both.

It seems as if some of the "mechanical only" watch enthusiasts feel somehow threatened by the mere existence of quartz movements and feel the need to emphasize any negative aspect of quartz they can find. Maybe this stems from a fear (not unfounded a few years ago) that the continued existence of mechanical watches might be threatened by quartz?

Often the acknowledged advantages of quartz are denigrated as unimportant; sometimes they are all lumped together and characterized as cheap or mediocre. The idea is ridiculed that some-one might pay several thousand dollars for a quartz watch. Some of the reasons given for disliking the idea of quartz seem to me to be really reaching: for example the danger of being without a watch if one is ship-wrecked without a spare battery, or the danger of losing the function of your watch because of an electric pulse or whatever they're called.

I'm an engineer and I entirely understand the liking for the mechanical intricacies of the best mechanical watches (I admire them myself), and the delight taken in the beatiful finish, ornamentation and workmanship in the best mechanical movements. And it's true, for the most part, these characteristics don't show up in quartz watches, though a few of them display external finish and workmanship that is hard to equal.

For me, the most important charteristic of a watch is its accuracy, but I also want to enjoy its looks and its finish. Perhaps "accuracy" makes it a utilitarian object, but it can still be well-made, well-finished and a pleasure to look at. But that is my taste and my opinion. And it doesn't deny anyone else their liking of divers or chronographs or tourbillons.

I just don't understand why a preference, even a strong preference, for mechanical watches has to show up as such scorn for quartz.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    What is so frightening abt changing a batt?
    If you have to let someone else do it, one might become nervous.

Most places, the counter-person will be the one doing the battery change; it might be the first time they have every tried to open a case. Will they know what a shot gasket looks like; will they even get the back on without pinching the gasket?

It's fairly certain that they will get some fingerprints on the back of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    If you have to let someone else do it, one might become nervous.

Most places, the counter-person will be the one doing the battery change; it might be the first time they have every tried to open a case. Will they know what a shot gasket looks like; will they even get the back on without pinching the gasket?

It's fairly certain that they will get some fingerprints on the back of the movement.
    I agree with you. One needs to make sure that whoever actually makes the change knows what he/she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    I agree with you. One needs to make sure that whoever actually makes the change knows what he/she is doing.
    But the fact is some of them even resist the idea of changing batt even they are the one doing it..... They just don like the idea of opening the case back of the watch.. For me,I am perfectly ok as long as u take care and don damage it.

It's funny, but watch maintenance can be a scary thing, until it's actually done.

I opened up an regulated my mechanical a couple of months ago. Never thought I'd ever do it.

And then I learnt how to remove and change straps.

And then yesterday, I resized my diver's bracelet, which had been slightly large for FIVE FRICKEN YEARS.

All these things are ridiculously easy to do, and you gotta laugh when you look back and remember how unfounded your fears were.

I love the quartz watches that I own, and I change all of my own batteries.

Nothing to it, get the right tools and it takes a few minutes.

On dive watches that have a rubber o-ring seal, I usually put a little gasket silicone on the seal before closing the case back.

Never had a issue with water resistance.

Russ
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
    - Groucho Marx

Hi changing a battery in it's self is very straight forword you normaly use a case knife of a jaxen tool to remove the case, and the change the battery, as for the re-sealing there is not a great deal anyone can do all that anyone will check is that there is a good condition gasket/o-ring and silcon after that they test it's seel in a presure test tank that works on the basis that if there is a gap in the case then the air in the watch is greater then that out side the watch and you will se it bubble if it is leaking other then that it is straight forword, the only problum you might incounter is putting the back back on, this can be difficalt with out even pressure unless the backs quite loose, if it is not you are offten able to buy tools of ebay or take it to a local watch repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information