Changing directions to quartz?
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Changing directions to quartz?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Changing directions to quartz?

I wonder how many if you have ever made a radical change, i.e., from auto to quartz? Thinking of that for reasons I cannot explain. Recently became enamoured of GPS and other high accuracy quartzs and find my searches heading there. Only thing stopping me is a dearth (it seems) of such watches in the 38-40mm size with a l2l of less than 49 (yes, small wrists).

Re: Changing directions to quartz?

I still have a citizen perpetual titanium, it's a great watch and always accurate to the second. Perpetual calendar is awesome, as is automatic adjustment for daylight savings. Solar, atomic, alarm, multiple zones, it really does everything. And I never wear it. :-D

Miniaturizing a GPS receiver is non-trivial, even just to pick up the time signal. The watches are getting smaller.

Likewise terrestrial atomic isn't that trivial either. The antenna's not as big, but it is a big battery drain (so they have to fit the solar stuff in there as well.)
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you want a high accuracy quartz in a reasonable size with a long power reserve look at Seiko GQ or Citizen Chronomaster. Or Bulova Precisionist. Or Longines VHP.
    oztech likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZcowboy View Post
    I wonder how many if you have ever made a radical change, i.e., from auto to quartz? Thinking of that for reasons I cannot explain. Recently became enamoured of GPS and other high accuracy quartzs and find my searches heading there. Only thing stopping me is a dearth (it seems) of such watches in the 38-40mm size with a l2l of less than 49 (yes, small wrists).
    As someone who began the journey with two radio controlled Citizen Eco-drives, I would advise against it. Yes the fact that they auto adjust themselves every night at 2am, they account for daylight savings, they know how many days are in the month etc is neat, and they don't need regular battery changes like an ordinary quartz movement either. But, as soon as I bought my first auto, I immediately got bored with them, and one was a very nice JDM Attesa model with a Mechaquartz style 2.5Hz chronograph. Still boring.

It's not really a radical change unless it's your only watch.

Adding a quartz to the collection is kinda like getting a microwave. You notice their pretty good for the grab and go stuff, but for anything else you still need the conventional oven. Its best to have both.
    oztech, bipyjamas, jlow28 and 1 others like this.

To my old school brain all quartz are "high accuracy"

It's nice that some watches can be accurate to within a few seconds a year but so what? I buy watches,not technology. How accurate does a person need the watch to be? I must have too much time on my hands because adjusting the time a few times a year doesn't seem to be all that much of an effort.
    Notorious972 likes this.

I had my time as a mechanical nut head but now I enjoy both. There are definitely some exceptional quartz designs out there like the Japanese HAQs, the Precisionist or the Citizen One and even some smart watches. The GPS watches are definitely too thick but most other quartz watches are usually slimmer and more accommodating for small wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    If you want a high accuracy quartz in a reasonable size with a long power reserve look at Seiko GQ or Citizen Chronomaster. Or Bulova Precisionist. Or Longines VHP.
    Does Bulova make a Precisionist under 43 mm? I also thought the UHF Bulovas tended to eat batteries much faster than other quartz watches.