Cheap Automatics
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cheap Automatics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cheap Automatics

I've noticed automatics by Seiko for under $100 on Amazon. Are these any good? I'm certain they don't have sapphire crystals. The five year service would cost more than the watch. are these considered disposable?

Re: Cheap Automatics

Yes, affordable Seiko automatics are very good. I wouldn't worry too much about servicing costs to be honest, just wear it for years and run it into the ground and then must pick up another cheap movement to swap into it (or just buy another Seiko full stop). Many people have Seikos that are 20+ years old and never been serviced but are running fine, those movements are workhorses.
    Deledda likes this.

I own a $100-or-so Seiko 5 dress watch that has served me pretty well! The bracelet it came on wasn't the best, and the movement, visible through a display case back, is very plain, however accuracy is pretty decent, and considering that I do not dress up often, the watch gets the job done for me just fine! Yes, the watch uses a mineral crystal, as expected for this price range, but considering the overall decent quality of the watch it is still a steal of a deal, and I recommend the Seiko 5 series to people on tight budgets all the time. As far as servicing/life of the watch goes, I will simply wear mine until it no longer keeps time reliably, and retire the watch. Because I don't wear it very often, I expect I'll get a decade at the very least out of it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great watches for the money. They're certainly not going to be dethroning any Grand Seikos or Jaegers, but for under $100, pretty amazing how much you can get.

If you want the highest quality entry level Seiko, look for ones with a 4R movement, which adds features to the standard 7S26.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    Yes, affordable Seiko automatics are very good. I wouldn't worry too much about servicing costs to be honest, just wear it for years and run it into the ground and then must pick up another cheap movement to swap into it (or just buy another Seiko full stop). Many people have Seikos that are 20+ years old and never been serviced but are running fine, those movements are workhorses.
    Exactly, besides especially in the particualr price range, there is no better watch on the market than a seiko. Simple as that
    ShaggyDog explained perfectly the rest

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

I think it's hard to deny that the SNK80x for under fifty bucks is the best deal in watchdom. And if you want to go high class and spend about a hundred or a tad more, you can add various luxuries like a bracelet and move into the 42mm range or larger.

Yeah, I'll just parrot everyone else and say that those watches are great. They run well, they're attractive, they come in an absurd variety of styles, and they start at $50-ish. The only caveat is that the bracelet on the cheapest models isn't so great -- most people just put them on a different strap.

I am actually wearing one right now. The model is SNK793 and I picked it up for about $60. Like others have mentioned the bracelet is very cheap but I spent about another $30 on a Hirsch strap. It is great quality for the money, looks pretty nice, and I don't mind if I bang it up a bit. This watch has actually gotten more compliments than the Seiko/Hamilton watches I own costing nearly 10x the price.

Name:  20140515_164953.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  271.3 KB
    ardbeg_boy and Sgt. Angle like this.

I'd also say look at entry level Orients which are comparable, but there's a lot more variety. Plus I like power reserves and Orient has a ton of those.
    Roller.959 likes this.

I am actually wearing one right now. The model is SNK793 and I picked it up for about $60.
    I have that one, too. The blue dial is really beautiful. I've been asked if it's a Rolex. I mean, obviously not by people who know anything about watches, but it shows that people see it and think it's something special.

(Mine is on a fine mesh bracelet. The shiny silver complements the blue very nicely.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information