China will win the movement wars

Thread: China will win the movement wars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

China will win the movement wars

Swatch is closing its doors, Selitta will try to keep up. Japan is in-house movements, except for Miyota, which stutters.

Is that an invitation to China or what?

Re: China will win the movement wars

I think that it's a real possibility. And some of the higher-end Chinese movements are well-made, reliable and nicely finished. The issues will be parts availability and the willingness of western watchmakers to work on them.

James
    AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I will either find a way or make one."

The repeated rumor that Swatch will no longer sell movements to outside companies is, by every reliable account, inaccurate. Swatch will sell only finished movements, not ebauches, to outside clients. The company will finish movements to the clients' wishes. This has been reported in various respected publications, including Wrist Watch Annual.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    Swatch is closing its doors, Selitta will try to keep up. Japan is in-house movements, except for Miyota, which stutters.

Swatch isn´t closing its doors. That´s an oversimplified statement.

Supply and demand will rule the day. Always does. Whichever country/producer gives the market what they want...they win.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Will they give coupons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post

I'm sorry man, but is cracker Jacks printing watch news these days? where do you get this silliness from?
    Swatch is not closing it's doors, it is restricting it's ETA branded movements to its own brands. AFAIK, they are continuing to sell non-ETA branded movements as they always have. yes this has definitely created business opportunities for other non-swatch movement makers such as sellita, Miyota, Seiko, and some Upstart russian and chinese makers.

As for Japan being Inhouse movements, that is only true as far as Japanese Brands are concerned. That said, Miyota and Seiko are the two largest movement manufacturers in the world and they sell to many brands outside of their in-house brands. That said it is true that both companies do keep the bulk of their higher end movements in-house (especially their mechanical stuff). Still, they both do sell some fairly high end quartz modules, as do Casio and Ricoh (this is especially true of their multi sensor digital modules).

Then of course don't forget about the american companies (timex and Fossil), both of which have their own movement manufacturers (albeit most of those are based in china or the Philippines, but they do have some european facilities as well) and who sell very large volumes to other companies.

I think chinese movement manufacturing whether it is non-chinese branded or not, is already very well established in terms of quartz movements, though not as well in terms of Mechanicals. Some chinese companies, especially Tianjin/Sea-Gull are definitely benefiting from Swatch's refocusing - Fossil's Claro-Semang movement company (who sells to anyone) are afterall basically re-finished tianjin movements built to fossil's tighter specs.

The future indeed looks good for chinese movement makers, but I don't thin that it is so at the expense of the traditional brands.
    Last edited by Isthmus; May 2nd, 2008 at 21:21.

one more thing for Sean. about the so-called Miyota "stutter" Please read this article and the opinions of two well respected emmebrs who know what they are talking about:

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Efotop...a/invicta.html

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Swatch isn´t closing its doors. That´s an oversimplified statement.

I agree, Mike. My mistake. I meant closing its doors--or partially closing its doors--to non-Swatch companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    one more thing for Sean. about the so-called Miyota "stutter" Please read this article and the opinions of two well respected emmebrs who know what they are talking about:

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Efotop...a/invicta.html

I understand why it stutters. I don't consider it a defect, but perceptually and aesthetically it's disconcerting. I have four Miyotas, and, in addition to the second by second stutter, watching the second hand jump around when winding them is disconcerting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information