Choice between Grand Seiko SBGA127 & IWC Ingenieur Vintage Laureus
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Choice between Grand Seiko SBGA127 & IWC Ingenieur Vintage Laureus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolling eyes Choice between Grand Seiko SBGA127 & IWC Ingenieur Vintage Laureus

Hi!

I have a difficult choice - torn between two blue-faced limited edition watches

the strong points for Seiko are that this is a more recent watch, spring drive, titanium in the perfect condition made in 2015

the pros for IWC are a European brand with the vast heritage, classic design but this watch was worn more extensively, thus, the condition is very good & the manufacture year is 2011

the price is almost the same

which one would you choose & why?

thanks & cheers!

Re: Choice between Grand Seiko SBGA127 & IWC Ingenieur Vintage Laureus

Two beautiful watches, two beautiful blue dials, two well-respected brands.

I would go w IWC in this case as that vintage Ingenieur is absolutely amazing in person, and combines the best of modern sizing and classic design approach. Only reason I never explored getting one is the size - 42 mm case and slightly thick (14mm, but a lot of it is crystal) make it difficult to pull off unless you have a large wrist (7.5" or more minimum in my view)

GS - it is a beautiful watch with stunning dial, excellent detail (indices, hands - finished to crazy level) - it looks insane under the loupe. Spring Drive is also nice - truly smooth sweep. The downside is potential servicing via Japan. Only reason, I did not get a GS thus far is that they feel disappointing on the wrist - while a much beloved line, somehow everytime I handle this range it looks great until I strap it on and then it's like "is this it? it is so insubstantial.." (excitement about a watch is not objective criteria, but that is where it fails on my wrist). Titanium also takes a while to get used to - feels almost too light.

If at all possible to try them on in person - I'd strongly recommend it. Ingeniuer is significantly larger and wears very differently on the wrist
    MediumRB and BigSeikoFan like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Good points by EnderW. I do regularly service my better watches and don't like that Spring Drives must go to Japan for that. The IWC can be serviced many places locally. I also find this particular Seiko has a generic dress look to it in spite of the power reserve. It is also more on the side of dress, whereas the IWC is sport. Which better suits your lifestyle?

But the best advice is to buy what you like best.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can't speak to the IWC, but I own the SBGA127. It's an amazing watch! The dial is incredible in sunlight. It absolutely sparkles. Because it's titanium, it feels extremely light on the wrist. Personally, I don't like heavy watches. The sweeping seconds hand is a joy to look at; different from all other mechanical watches. I have trouble giving other watches any other wrist time.
    MLJinAK and Sevenmack like this.

From an aesthetics and finish standpoint, I find the Grand Seiko to be leagues ahead of the IWC.

Not sure if people are comparing GS w std Ingenieur (Sporty Genta design). OP asked re Vintage Ingeniuer which is a dress watch with very fine finish
    Name:  iwc-vintage-collection-ingenieur-automatic-1955-laureus-2.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  69.3 KB

Also SBGA127 is the titanium SD LE in blue
    Name:  sbga127-8.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  128.6 KB

PS. Adding photos as not everyone is familiar w these watches, and most think of Genta Ingeniuer when they hear IWC Ingenieur. Vintage one is completely different style being a dress watch
    Last edited by EnderW; October 22nd, 2016 at 19:42.
    rhj, godplaysdice, MLJinAK and 2 others like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Pictures please.

Special thanks to EnderW for having posted the photos)) I was a little in a hurry while creating this thread...

i owned both the vintage ingenieur in black & grand Seiko on spring drive (but a different model)

I'm more inclined to go in favor of IWC even despite the watch condition (which slightly inferior to that of GS) because (I have to admit) GS looks great in theory or under the magnifying glass but the wrist presence is not so great as the expectations((

plus the maintenance issue...

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Not sure if people are comparing GS w std Ingenieur (Sporty Genta design). OP asked re Vintage Ingeniuer which is a dress watch with very fine finish
    Name:  iwc-vintage-collection-ingenieur-automatic-1955-laureus-2.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  69.3 KB

Also SBGA127 is the titanium SD LE in blue
    Name:  sbga127-8.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  128.6 KB

PS. Adding photos as not everyone is familiar w these watches, and most think of Genta Ingeniuer when they hear IWC Ingenieur. Vintage one is completely different style being a dress watch
    This is a big dilemma for me. I think the sand seiko is way more attractive but the IWC brand draws me in. Tough choice indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, the IWC for sure because it just looks better and I don't care for SD tech. If the Laureus was smaller I'd already have it . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information