Votes: 58 36.5%
  • Zenith

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 6.9%

Choosing a blue dial: the final four

6K views 100 replies 73 participants last post by  Kratsmoose 
#1 ·
Hi. I would like to add a blue watch to my collection and have narrowed it down to four options; obviously, I'd like advice from my WUS brethren to help me decide.

b-)

The main consideration is that the watch be flexible enough to be worn with either a t-shirt or a suit and tie; secondly, I have tiny (5.75") wrists, so anything over 40mm is out of the question and even that diameter is pushing things. My budget is limited to £5,000.

Here are the four contenders:

Glashutte Original Senator Sixties

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Omega Constellation Globemaster

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34mm

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

Please note that I am not a fan of the Cyclops, so I haven't gone for the date complication from Rolex.

Zenith Elite Power Reserve

Watch Analog watch Blue Watch accessory Fashion accessory

The Rolex is my current front-runner, due to its smaller size (the others are in the 39-40mm range), but I'd rather have a blue alligator/crocodile strap. Would this be feasible on the Oyster? I've searched online but can't find any after-market straps which fit the description.

Finally, are there any other watches which fit my criteria which I should consider? My current "collection" (I only have two watches) comprises a venerable TAG Aquaracer and a Nomos Orion, so I would like something which is a bit different from these.

Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aesthetically, I probably like the GO or the Zenith the best. If the Rolex fits your wrist better, however, it would be easy enough to put a blue leather strap on it. I believe it's a 19 mm strap that you would need for a watch, which wouldn't be hard to find. Get a 19mm/16mm (lugs/buckle) strap and a 16 mm stainless steel deployant clasp and call it a day.

I would also look at the Omega Aqua Terra 38.5mm with blue dial on a blue strap (ref. 231.13.39.21.03.001). Stunning watch in person.

#87 ·
Aesthetically, I probably like the GO or the Zenith the best. If the Rolex fits your wrist better, however, it would be easy enough to put a blue leather strap on it. I believe it's a 19 mm strap that you would need for a watch, which wouldn't be hard to find. Get a 19mm/16mm (lugs/buckle) strap and a 16 mm stainless steel deployant clasp and call it a day.

I would also look at the Omega Aqua Terra 38.5mm with blue dial on a blue strap (ref. 231.13.39.21.03.001). Stunning watch in person.

This is a great suggestion, the Aqua Terra's are beautiful. I would also take a look at the Tag Carrera, specifically the one below. The blue dial is quite beautiful in person.

#6 ·
for double duty of dress and sport, I think I like the Omega globemaster, or the Rolex.. however as TLud pointed out, the Omega Aqua Terra 38.5mm would be a great choice as well.. if it were me, I might go with the AT. good luck, and cant wait to see what you go with.

Reactions: oztech
#7 ·
The GO SSB without a half second of hesitation. However, the Rolex OP would easily be the close second out of this group.

Reactions: schrop
#8 ·
The GO is the one I'd go for out of these 4 options.
However, given another choice, I'd opt for the Nomos Zurich worltimer.

#12 ·
Any of those are versatile enough and good choices. I think the GO is the most interesting, but ultimately you should go with your gut. Of course you can put different straps on watches, so that shouldn't affect your decision one way or the other. In my opinion, though, I think you'd miss out on a couple of the distinct advantages of the Rolex: the quickly changing date mechanism and the bracelets.

#13 ·
Very few watches do double duty as well as the blue AT, in my opinion. Having said that, all of your choices are great, too, and you really should just get the one you like most. You've clearly done your homework, so just trust your gut at this point.

#15 ·
The Sixties is a stunning watch, but it went a bit too much into the dress territory for me and looked a bit silly dressed down, so I sold mine sadly, and I would take that out of consideration if you are looking for dress up/down. As a dress watch it is impeccable however, modern yet retro.

The Rolex OP is really nice, dresses up and down easily, I do prefer the new OP 39mm blue, but maybe you have considered it and felt it was big? Also getting an after-market strap isnt that hard at all, its a standard lug size and can be easily found online. Blue alligator straps are a bit rare but many custom strap sites will make you one for couple hundred tops. This should not be a factor preventing you from buying it. Also FWIW, it looks great on matte black alligator as well which is a LOT easier to find.

Omega AT at 38mm is a solid req, I would consider it seriously and am surprised its not on your list.

I'll pass on the Zenith. Thats not the watch to get from them. If you dont mind chronographs though, there is a blue sub-dial on the 38mm El Primero :p

#16 ·
I voted GO, but here is a curveball suggestion: Speedmaster 57 blue.

Reactions: badindianswamp
#47 ·
Not yet. I've done my online research and thought that I'd seek advice here before going to try them on. Obviously, wearing each watch is completely different to reading about them and I look forward to road-testing these four and any other suitable recommendations made in this thread.

#21 ·
All nice choices, although I hate the aesthetic of the Omega, I voted Rolex based on your wrist size, should be perfect and you cant go wrong. The Zenith is a beauty as well. At the end of the day buy what sings to YOU the best.

#23 ·
With the size of your wrist I voted for the Rolex OP. I'm not crazy about the pie plate dial and fluted bezel on the Omega and I personally think the Zenith would look better in black, white or silver. GO might be a little too dressy, or not with the retro font. You can live with the Rolex on the bracelet for a while and see how you like it, then switch it out for blue croc later on.

#24 ·
I would vote Rolex for its versatility. It would look very sharp on an alligator strap. @Neophyte, You commented on the Nomos World Timer that was mentioned once. Would you kindly express your opinion of the Omega AT that has been suggested four times? Or five, as I also think it is a solid recommendation. Just curious to know your thoughts. If you dislike it, perhaps we will stop suggesting it (though I doubt it!)

#27 · (Edited)
Here's two great options. Reverso in blue or Breitling Transocean 38mm chrono in blue. The Breitling is stunning in person! If it was bigger I'd buy it, but 38mm seems perfect for you. Definitely check it out if you can. The Breitling also can be purchased with a blue leather strap instead of mesh.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Blue Watch accessory

Wrist Fashion accessory Watch Arm Hand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.