Choosing my first reasonable watch - Advice needed!

Thread: Choosing my first reasonable watch - Advice needed!

Choosing my first reasonable watch - Advice needed!

Hi!
    I'v been reading WUS for few weeks now, since I have finally decided to buy my first reasonable watch and let my old Casio Edifice EF-304 to rest.
    My budget is around 500-550$ and my preferences are Chronographs or something in Aviator style and about 42-45 mm.

I have been wanting Swiss Made watch for quite long time - so after a while of searching my choices are around some Victorinox time peaces, but I am still open for suggestions.

On top of my list so far is Victorinox Infantry Vintage Chronograph (241287 or 241314) . Also Victorinox AirBoss Mach 3 (a bit over budget, but still), Swiss Military Hanowa Marine Officer Chronograf (06-5148-04-007) and Christopher Ward C70 MONTE-CARLO is an option (though CW has almost no heritage comparing to VSA and still is quite pricey).

Cannot decide shoud i go for quarz, or look for Automatic in the same price range and "loose" the chronograph idea.

Also important question - since there is not so many watch shops around in Riga (and those that are, are quite overpriced), most reasonable decision is ordering it from Amazon or some other UK/US shop. I know you guys have good experience with that and can recommend some trusted sellers that sell authentic watches and ship to Europe.

Thanx!

Re: Choosing my first reasonable watch - Advice needed!

Welcome to the forum. Check out Tissot quartz chronographs -Amazon should have plenty of them. I have the Couturier chrono and the Veloci-t - really great pieces imo. At $500, as far as the build goes, Tissot really hits its sweet spot - these watches look really good, and have nice, heavy bracelets. The automatic movements usually cost twice as much for the movement. I would stick with a quartz for the chrono you want.
    Last edited by Duder; December 14th, 2011 at 01:08.

For me personally, I will only pay > $200 for a mechanical watch, whether hand-wind or automatic. Again, that is a personal thing, no reflection on any other tastes here. If I were going to spend your money, I'd be looking to buy a used mechanical watch, say a Stowa or Steinhart, Laco or Archimede (in the aviator vein). All offer Swiss movements, and for me, that's what matters.

Say, something like this:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/deb...to-618680.html

(no relation to the seller whatsoever, just noticed it in the forum)
    Last edited by mathomas; December 14th, 2011 at 01:38.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanx guys. WUS forum has been a major help for the past weeks to learn about waches :)

Found a nice deal on Amazon on VSA Airboss Mach 3 (577$) and thinking to go for it, but I havn't used Amazon a lot, so the question is - if the seller is Amazon it self, than I should not worry is the watch genuine or not, right?

Quote Originally Posted by viez View Post
    Thanx guys. WUS forum has been a major help for the past weeks to learn about waches :)

Found a nice deal on Amazon on VSA Airboss Mach 3 (577$) and thinking to go for it, but I havn't used Amazon a lot, so the question is - if the seller is Amazon it self, than I should not worry is the watch genuine or not, right?
    Wouldn't be a bad choice as Victorinox makes great watches.

Thread Information