Chris Ward Announces New In House Movement and Merger with Synergies Horologies - Page 8
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Chris Ward Announces New In House Movement and Merger with Synergies Horologies

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Chris Ward Announces New In House Movement and Merger with Synergies Horologies

According to watchitallabout, there will be a 40mm version:

Christopher Ward 10th Anniversary Launch – SH21 and C9 5 Day Auto | Watch It All About

Finally, the C9 5 day auto. Yes, it’s 43mm, but a 40mm version is coming soon. It’s beautiful, just like all the other Harrison watches. And yes it costs £1500, which is a lot. But don’t forget what your paying for. First, the COSC chronometer certification is £100 straight out of that. Then think about the 4 years it has taken to develop this movement. How much more would an equivalent from one of the big Swiss manufacturers cost? Johannes said that the SH21 is made so much better and will last longer. And I believe him as he talked a load of jargon at me to prove it. It went over my head naturally.

WnS

Re: Chris Ward Announces New In House Movement and Merger with Synergies Horologies

Can't you guys appreciate a good movement without worrying about something as intangible as inhouse?
    Robotaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Can't you guys appreciate a good movement without worrying about something as intangible as inhouse?
    Of course. However like a said earlier

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    selling point of this watch is that its in house so surely you can understand why people would be displeased that its not in fact in house

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Note on pricing:

Apparently, the cheapest CW watches will go with this new movement is 1500 (dollars? pounds? no idea..); source: https://twitter.com/ChrisWardLondon/...15792804294656
    Pretty sure that will be GBP (English company after all, and us English folk don't talk in dollars as default)
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Some people can only appreciate a watch that was developed and hand-built by a genetic line of people created hundreds of years ago, who are so specialized in what they do that one eye socket is bigger to hold their loupe, and their fingers have evolved to be smaller in order to handle smaller parts and tools. They never see sunlight and they are whipped into submission from birth. They wear incredibly fine clothing bestowed upon them by their owners, but own nothing.

Sorry, am I dreaming, or typing on a real forum? Sorry.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Inactive

I can't stop wondering about how very enthusiastic they are being about the thickness of the movement - talking about how robust it will make it etc.

I'm wondering if there is a financial benefit to making movement so thick - is it cheaper to build a thick, less delicate movement? Is it easier to acheive COSC standards with a bigger movement - ie will there be a lower rejection rate?

If so, is the emphasis on the benefits of the thick movement partially a smokescreen - to make it look like having a thick movement was 100% a design decision, and not one which included a fat slug of financial rationale?

How exactly do we know it's a good movement? We only know that it's in-house and that it has 5 day power reserve. Do we know anything about the actual accuracy, reliability, servicing intervals and costs ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I can't stop wondering about how very enthusiastic they are being about the thickness of the movement - talking about how robust it will make it etc.

I'm wondering if there is a financial benefit to making movement so thick - is it cheaper to build a thick, less delicate movement? Is it easier to acheive COSC standards with a bigger movement - ie will there be a lower rejection rate?

If so, is the emphasis on the benefits of the thick movement partially a smokescreen - to make it look like having a thick movement was 100% a design decision, and not one which included a fat slug of financial rationale?
    As far as I understand it, part of the thickness comes from the second barrel mounted in series to achieve the 120 hour PR.

If as they said they can remove it in order to make room for other complications, I assume they could also remove it to make it thinner.

I'm doubtful that making thicker components for added robustness was necessary! So that part might be a smokescreen.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Of course. However like a said earlier
    Since CW is merging with Synergies, how is it not in-house?
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    Since CW is merging with Synergies, how is it not in-house?
    I didn't say that it was or wasn't, just that its probably an important detail, if they're making such a noise about it.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information