Christopher Ward sales and discounts - brand damage
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Christopher Ward sales and discounts - brand damage

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Am I the only person who thinks the CW model of randomly extending sales and discounts hurts the CW brand?

I just bought another CW and as soon as I turn around, discounts and free shipping. I haven't even received the watch yet.

I think they should either lower their prices, hold to their prices, and/or have loyalty discounts. And, I'm not begging anyone for their handouts like a cheapskate, so the email they got from me is one stating that it's a bad business practice and in my opinion hurts their image.

I don't even have the watch and I'm mumbling curse words to myself. I'll get over it, but it still chaps me. The probability of buying another one is extremely low.
    Last edited by GinGinD; July 29th, 2014 at 05:55.
    geoloop, Docrwm, Deledda and 3 others like this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Re: Christopher Ward sales and discounts - brand damage

Ask for a price adjustment? Oh... I see you're apparently "above" asking for such things.

Seriously, you are complaining that they have sales every once in a while? You say that "it hurts the brand" but it sounds to me more like you're just mad you didn't get the best price. Most people would kill to have these kinds of limited distribution brands do a sale now and then (see, e.g., Nomos, Shinola, etc.). If price is your primary concern, you learn to wait for the sale. If not, it won't kill you to pay a little extra.

Apparently you're too proud to ask for a "handout" (i.e. an adjustment) but you're not too proud to be pissed off about missing the sale... so I'm not sure what you expect to happen here, other than for Christopher Ward to never hold a sale again, which I'm sure will just thrill CW's other customers.

This is a pretty petty basis to accuse a brand of having bad business practices and damaging their own image.
    dbostedo, MisterHo, WrnrG and 8 others like this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

It's not unreasonable to expect a brand to maintain a level of price consistency. If sales happen too frequently, customers come to see the sale price as essentially the regular price because any informed consumer would wait for the inevitable next sale. That has the effect of lowering perceptions about the value of the product, and also gives buyers a sense of feeling punished for paying "regular" price. This feeling isn't usually about the actual amount of money paid, but rather about the perceived worth of the product and the overall value of the brand. It's also generally considered an early sign of spiraling business failure when sales happen often enough to take this character. All of this is based on consumer perceptions rather than any objective standard, so what this thread shows is that at least one consumer now perceives the CW brand in this way. That's not a problem if he's the only one, but it's unlikely that he is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anytime I have the opportunity to pay less for something I think it's a good thing.

I would ask them to match the sale price on the watch you bought, or buy the same watch over at the sale price and return the full price watch.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ask for a price adjustment? Oh... I see you're apparently "above" asking for such things.

Seriously, you are complaining that they have sales every once in a while? You say that "it hurts the brand" but it sounds to me more like you're just mad you didn't get the best price. Most people would kill to have these kinds of limited distribution brands do a sale now and then (see, e.g., Nomos, Shinola, etc.). If price is your primary concern, you learn to wait for the sale. If not, it won't kill you to pay a little extra.

Apparently you're too proud to ask for a "handout" (i.e. an adjustment) but you're not too proud to be pissed off about missing the sale... so I'm not sure what you expect to happen here, other than for Christopher Ward to never hold a sale again, which I'm sure will just thrill CW's other customers.

This is a pretty petty basis to accuse a brand of having bad business practices and damaging their own image.
    Aw, got his feelings hurt earlier? Poor buddy.

I didn't say I'm above anything. That's pretentious of you to assert such a thing.

You have your opinion and I have mine. You could have said you disagree instead of trying to insult me, but I understand considering the circumstances.
    Docrwm, Deledda, Domo and 1 others like this.

Disclosure:

Can you just return the one you bought if they won't give you the price difference? Since you haven't received it there is no doubt it's in perfect condition and would be eligible for a refund. If you say that I'm sure they would credit you the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Anytime I have the opportunity to pay less for something I think it's a good thing.

I would ask them to match the sale price on the watch you bought, or buy the same watch over at the sale price and return the full price watch.
    I would normally, but it's a Big Day-Date and there aren't any around yet.

Disclosure:

Earlier this year they had a father's day discount. I was just a little late, but asked for a discount. It was not possible... I was stubborn so: no deal.
    When I read this I'm glad I didn't follow through! Now there's a pre-owned SMP lying in the watchbox
    Last edited by Tudoris; July 28th, 2014 at 17:30. Reason: spelling
    Ace McLoud and omgomgyouguys like this.
    Using Tapatalk

If this is a common theme for them why didn't you wait for it to go on sale? If nothing else it might help protect rather retained value of the watch. It's like overpaying to get it now...

But, as with most things, once you have committed stop looking!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

From what I can tell they are going from strength to strength. Whether the regular sales are helping or hindering this is not obvious, but in general they seem the be a thriving, growing business so I doubt they would react based on your email.
    ShaggyDog and Shepperdw like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information