Chronicles of a Novice Watch Collector...............
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Chronicles of a Novice Watch Collector...............

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Chronicles of a Novice Watch Collector...............

One of my foremost passions is cars. I love the aesthetics, handling, and movements of automotive art, and have a small collection of cars inspired by my history of racing in LotusCupUSA. Naturally, this segue way'd into watches, and I just started my collection of watches just over a month ago. I've been perusing through WUS and other sites to immerse myself in horology in general, and it is simply fascinating. I quickly became addicted, like all of you WIS'rs, and I am learning on this journey like everyone else. I only wish I could "drive" these timepieces - I suppose that's what we do when we wear these amazing watches. To keep it succinct, I wanted to keep track of my nascent stage of watch collecting, to see what I could introspectively learn from myself.
    So hear is some of my impetus for inspiration:

Here is my current and ever-changing collection of watches:

So here is how it began...
    Fun watches inspired by racing and my automotive passion were the Ferrari watches, the Lotus Type 1 watch and the Nicky Hayden Tissot watch. Lotus is my first love, and the limited edition Type 1 watch was inspired by Lotus engineering. Chief engineer claims, " "Lotus has always been about innovative engineering solutions presented in the most elegant form whilst avoiding superfluous detail." Colin Chapman's famous words, "add lightness."

I have to blame my wife for engaging me in my addiction....for our anniversary last year, she presented me with a Breitling Montbrillant. A tribute to our Flying Spur....

So about a month ago, my first "real" acquisition was inspired by Heuer. Heuer introduced the first automobile dash chronograph. He later invented the stopwatch accurate to 1/100 second. Heuer watches were kept as timekeepers in the 1920's Amsterdam Olympics. Most importantly (to me), in the 1970's, Heuer was the official timekeeper for Formula 1. My first proud possession was the Heuer Calculator (circa 1977):

So off to the races (literally), and I am immersing myself in horology. I wanted to acquire a bold and elegant watch....who better then to begin with one of the oldest watchmaking manufacturers, Vacheron Constantin. I was instantly drawn to the timeless design of the Overseas, and was drawn to the complications of the dual time and power reserve:

I began reading more and more, and was fascinated by the history and tradition of Jaeger-LeCoultre, arguably the "king of movements." With over 1200 calibers and over 400 patents, it has become my current favorite manufacturer of time pieces. For my next time piece, I wanted one with "haute horlogerie" with a unique complication. Obviously, a tourbillon is pretty expensive out of the gate. I come across the JLC Duometre a Chronographe with the unique dual wing mechanism, linked to a single escapement and foudroyante. This watch is frickin cool:

Of course, I have to have one of JLC's most iconic pieces, and so I decide to get my wife and I Reverso Squadra's....her piece is inspired as a "push gift" - as we just had a baby, and this commemorative piece is given to her as an inspiration to me:

Back to racing.....I recently picked up an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S, and of course I am inspired by JLC's relationship with Aston Martin that began in the 1920's - JLC speedometers were on the dashboards of Aston Martins. They rekindled their relationship with Aston Martin in 2004, creating the AMVOX line. Thus, I have an incoming AMVOX 1 Memovox in british racing green with carbon fiber patterned strap:

So this is where I stand at the moment....and here is what I am looking at in the near future. Breguet has the most elegant watches I can appreciate. I was initially going to get the Alarm Le Reveil Du Tsar, but after trying on the La Tradition, I am mesmerized.
    Next would be the Patek 5712, and I am in love with the 5040 PC as well.
    I would like an AP RO skeleton 15305, and a vintage Heuer Monaco "Steve McQueen." So the desires, of course, never end....
    Hopefully, I won't race off the track too quickly with my acquisitions, and will continue to learn about horology and what it means to me and my desires.
    Last edited by plastique999; July 5th, 2014 at 03:57.

Re: Chronicles of a Novice Watch Collector...............

Hi,

Great way to collect that segway's into an already existing passion. Nice to have the budget too.

Regards,

You seem like a nice guy, when can I try that Ferrari ?
    vinylgreek likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i will change the title to "savy collector" instead, wonderful collection you have
    plastique999 likes this.

That JLC is absolutely fantastic.

Wow, impressive introduction and watches. Congrats!
    JDM FTW

My 2 ultimate grails are VFM and TOTC.
    A good read is like medicine for the brain.

Impressive! Do you want to tell us a little more about the duometre's features?

There is very little in this life that I would consider killing for.

That Duometre may or may not be one of them ;)
    plastique999 likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Nice...........
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Stunning. I'm interested to see where your watch collection goes from here.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information