Chrono Operation?

Thread: Chrono Operation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chrono Operation?

I've owned tons of different watches but never before have I had a chronograph. I just traded into a Stowa Marine with Valjoux / ETA 7750 and I have no idea what I'm doing. After spending about 1/2 hour on Google trying to find clear operating instructions I've given up and am asking here. I'd like to not break this thing.

Can this movement be hand wound? How do you operate the hands? The watch is running but when I press the buttons nothing happens. I thought that the second sweep was supposed to start and stop moving in a stop watch type function when you hit the top button. This one does nothing. Is there a lock of some sort? Does the crown need to be pulled out to the second position? What gives?

Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Re: Chrono Operation?

Hi,
    The chrono function is divided between the two pushers.
    The one at 2 starts and stops the chrono.
    The one at 4 resets the hands once the chrono has been stopped.
    Some chronos are setup with a flyback function, useful for timing laps, but assume you have the basic functionality for now.
    The 7750 can be hand wound. About 25-35 turns from stopped will give you plenty of power reserve. A fully wound movement should go for ~40 hours if left motionless on a desk. The movement's autowinder will keep your watch going indefinitely if the watch is worn daily.

Setting. The crown, if you have a calender, will have three click stops. Pull it out to the first to wind the movement. Pull the crown out to the second click to adjust the date. Pull it out one more to adjust the time. Some movements hack, some don't. Again its a question of observation. Its recommended that you not adjust the date between the hours of 8pm and 2am. During those hours the date change cams are engaged and you could displace or damage components involved in the date change function.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by SnapIT; March 21st, 2007 at 23:27.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

stuffler,mike

I never handled the Stowa Chrono but it is a modified Valjoux 7750 with two registers. The left one is the seconds sub dial and supposed to run constantly. The second hand out of the middle is the stop second.
    Try to reset the hands with the button down on the right. Start counting with the upper button and stop counting with the same button.
    And yes: you can manually wind up a Valjoux 7750.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I appreciate the instructions. The watch is running fine and keeping time. Hours, minutes and lefthand hand subseconds are all functioning normally.

So if I press the buttons and nothing happens with the chrono functions it's broken right? I'm getting no movement at all from the stop second or the chrono reset. The chrono hands are all in the 12 o'clock positions but refuse to start running.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Ooops, nevermind. I just wasn't pressing hard enough. I decided to give it a good push out of frustration and it finally popped into gear. Like I said, never had one of these and wasn't sure how delicate it would be.

In case you're wondering that little click is normal, not sure why they do it but I surmise it's to more or less let you know you've engaged the chrono features. Both quartz and mechanical chronos do that.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Preston, thanks for setting my mind at ease. Yeah, it seems to push pretty tightly and the click is harder than I would have imagined. But good to know they are like this normally. I'll have to try out another chrono at some point when I'm in a store so I have a comparison.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hi Peter,
    That click, its the sound of the bug biting . Good to hear you are having success.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    Hi Peter,
    That click, its the sound of the bug biting . Good to hear you are having success.
    Very clever!
    Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    Ooops, nevermind. I just wasn't pressing hard enough. I decided to give it a good push out of frustration and it finally popped into gear. Like I said, never had one of these and wasn't sure how delicate it would be.
    Now that the problem is solved may I ask where the pics are

And I may add:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information