Which chronograph? (Baume Capeland vs Longines Heritage Chrono column wheel)
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which chronograph? (Baume Capeland vs Longines Heritage Chrono column wheel)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    S1k

Which chronograph? (Baume Capeland vs Longines Heritage Chrono column wheel)

Hi guys,

Looking for your general thoughts on these 2 chronographs?
    Particularly on:

- aesthetics
    - quality
    - brand recognition

I've tried on the Capeland in person but not the blue dial. It fits me very well, looks great and I like it. I haven't been able to find a dealer that has this Longines in stock for me to try, but from pics and reviews it looks awesome (black face). I know Longines has more history behind the brand, but I feel they're similarly positioned. Perhaps, Longines is more recognizable by the average person whereas Baume would get the nod from a WIS...maybe.

I can source these watches for around the same price. So if the price is the same, which one would you pick and why?

Re: Which chronograph? (Baume Capeland vs Longines Heritage Chrono column wheel)

Not found of that Longines, try the 1967 or the 1973.

Re: Which chronograph? (Baume Capeland vs Longines Heritage Chrono column wheel)

I don't like three-register chronos, so for me it would be a no-brainer for the Longines. (yes, I realize that's a totally unhelpful answer, but you did ask about aesthetics).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Longines. First of all, the movement is less common than the standard 7750- the column wheel version is used only by Longines (there's also one with a co-axial escapement and column wheel, used by Omega).

Second, the aesthetics. The Longines has a more refined dial design, I especially like the way its subdials are designed.

Would a Baume get a nod from a WIS? Definitely not from every WIS. Longines wins fair and square when it comes to brand recognition. It has a history, and a stellar reputation. B&M... Not much of a history there.
    Watchyman and S1k like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have a different Baume & Mercier chrono, and I am surprised at its accuracy. I've had it with me for a few weeks now, and it's already traveled with me to 4 different countries. In this entire time, it has lost all of two seconds. I even tried setting the date during the no-go-zone and it had been idiot-proofed. I am fan of my B&M Capeland Flyback Chrono.

cuthbert and laza80 like this.

B&M has quite the long history and tradition as a watch manufacturer.
    http://www.baume-et-mercier.com/en-u...d/history.html
    It's just not as popular as Longines here on the world of WIS. As to which one to buy?
    I can tell you that for some reason it's easier to find A two register Chrono (3-9) than a 7753 based one (3-6-9).
    But, buy what you like best!

Sent from the Iron Throne using Westerosi ravens
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Subjective I know, but the B&M for me. I really dislike the lugs and the chewed up numerals on the Longines.
    Andres

Longines on all three counts. I don't dislike the B&M, but there's a clear winner here.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Overall quality, Baume.

Longines, for the movement and the lugs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information