Chronograph question
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chronograph question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chronograph question

Is there any downside to letting the Chronograph run 24/7? Anyone knows if chronos are built so that they can run 24/7, effect on the base time, or anyone have experience with letting theirs run 24/7? Thank you for information.

Inactive

Re: Chronograph question

It's a question of premature wear of the movement versus keeping the oils in the chronograph gear train evenly distributed (assuming you're talking about mechanical chronographs). Generally, there isn't a whole lot of point to keeping the chronograph running all the time, apart from if you like a sweeping (central) second hand. The chronograph hands would stop anyway once it reaches it's maximum timing capability, meaning you would have to restart it every 30 minutes/hour/day/et cetera.

If you're referring to quartz, the battery will not last as long (twice as many hands are moving), although some quartz chronographs have a sweeping second hand anyway.
    Last edited by Marcus_Leonardo; June 25th, 2013 at 05:44.

Yes I was referring to mechanical chronos and wanting the chrono to run 24/7 for the sweeping 2nd hand as well as using it as a 2nd time zone for chronos that contain both the hour and minutes. I was not aware that the mechanical chrono will stop at maximum timing. There goes my idea of using that as a 2nd time zone indicator. Thanks for info

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every mechanical chrono I've seen warns against doing that.
    Gary123 likes this.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Inactive

They're not mechanical, but the Seiko Alarm Chronograph series has a smooth sweeping second hand, and can be set for use as a GMT watch. Perhaps you might like to look into them.

This is not recommended. But if it is what trips your trigger, why not? Just service it when it needs serviced, or reset the time if it taps the power reserve.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I have often let mine run continuously while travelling to use as a 2nd time zone.
    It didn't stop when it reached the 12 hour mark however (7750)
    Name:  Offshore Professional Field Engineer 26 04_resize.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  215.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Leonardo View Post
    It's a question of premature wear of the movement versus keeping the oils in the chronograph gear train evenly distributed (assuming you're talking about mechanical chronographs). Generally, there isn't a whole lot of point to keeping the chronograph running all the time, apart from if you like a sweeping (central) second hand. The chronograph hands would stop anyway once it reaches it's maximum timing capability, meaning you would have to restart it every 30 minutes/hour/day/et cetera.

If you're referring to quartz, the battery will not last as long (twice as many hands are moving), although some quartz chronographs have a sweeping second hand anyway.
    Mechanical Chronos don't stop at a maximum, they just keep on going.

I think most chrono gear teeth have straight edges rather than involute shape in order to engage easily - thus, these teeth are more prone to wear.

Chronos are not designed to run 24/7 so the result will be more rapid wear on the guts of the watch. I have read that you can run them full time but have to be prepared for the increased servicing costs that will inevitably result.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information