Chronograph Reality Check
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chronograph Reality Check

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Chronograph Reality Check

I may be alone in this, but I dismiss most chronographs where the timekeeping minute/hour hands are shaped with no apparent regard for how they block subdials. For me, it turns a chronograph into a fashion statement, and that gives me a bit of the creeps.

So, one would think that a purist would require either very thin minute/hour hands or the hands are skeleton. Ok, I have such a watch (pic below), but it's handicapped by insufficient lume on the skeleton hands.

The only way around that I can think of right now would be a lumed dial (probably not the subdials), where the skeleton hands would contrast fine and be readable against the lumed dial.

Anyone else bothered by how form disrupts function here? Remedies? (And don't say buy a G-Shock.)

Last edited by novedl; March 19th, 2011 at 20:53. Reason: obscured profanity
    wysanz likes this.

Re: Chronograph Reality Check

Sean, its watchman19 how have you been, I like your ocean. I read what you posted about the hands but I gotta tell you I like your piece Sean. I posted a picture of my chronos. On the Casio yeah the hands block the subdials a bit but on the Citizen they are just perfect

Attachment 406809Attachment 406810
    Last edited by watchman19; March 19th, 2011 at 11:58. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by watchman19 View Post
    Sean, its watchman19 how have you been, I like your ocean. I read what you posted about the hands but I gotta tell you I like your piece Sean. I posted a picture of my chronos. On the Casio yeah the hands block the subdials a bit but on the Citizen they are just perfect

Attachment 406809Attachment 406810
    appreciate what you're saying but the Citizen is not a conventional chronograph AND the hands in any case block one of the three subdials most of the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    appreciate what you're saying but the Citizen is not a conventional chronograph AND the hands in any case block one of the three subdials most of the time.
    Yeah the hands are always going to block the subdials one way or another. Many Analog chronos today lack the lap feature it is mostly stop and and go however my Citizen does offer a lap feature but it takes to long to use it.

Here's something different, these Chronographs don't block the sub dials, of course that's because there aren't any.

IG - watchbrisman

Quote Originally Posted by Brisman View Post
    Here's something different, these Chronographs don't block the sub dials, of course that's because there aren't any.

C'mon, Australia's gotta do better than that, where's your patriotism, man?

Interesting concept, I'm sure there are others like them but I don't know any. Anybody know of some?

For those that might not know - Top button - Start, stops, resets minute hand. Middle Crown - rotates inner bezel, align the start arrow on the bezel with the minute hand, gives you your minutes, bottom crown - manual wind, day/date set.

Cheers
    IG - watchbrisman

Quote Originally Posted by Brisman View Post

Brisman,

There's something funky going on with the link you put in this post. I'm getting this prompt from my Safari browser:

"To view this page, you must log in to area “me.com” on gallery.me.com:80."
    Mark
    ------------------------
    Casio AE2000W-1AV
    Citizen Promaster SST JW0097-54E
    Croton Men's Skeleton Watch Circa 1990

Banned

Sean, I agree that some Chronographs have huge hands and block sub-dials. I guess the solution is to find a watch that will suit your needs.
    Here is a pic of my vintage Seiko Chrono. Hands are nice and thin, but have great lume. Its super easy to tell time on this watch:

There are all sorts of different layouts which improve legibility. Of course the more info you cram into a small space, the more concessions.

First - single register: Seiko 6139-6000

This set up without a regular sweep hand makes it a 30 minute stop watch compbined with a 2 hand watch.

Single register: Seiko 7016-7000 (borrowed pic, since I don't have a pic of mine)

Referred to as a 5 hand, this set up combines the 30 minute and 60 minute totalizers into a single sub register. This set up really doesn't do much for visibility...

Lemania 1340 - two register central minute totalizer: Tissot Navigator

Central minute totalizer makes reading elapsed seconds and minutes easy with accumulated hours and running seconds, the only registers which can get obscured.

Lemania 5100 - three register central minute totalizer: Fortis Cosmonauts

Basically the same as a Lemania 1340 with a running 24 hour register added to indicate AM/PM. Although it is another register which can be obscured, as it is a 24 hour reflection of the hour hand, the only real information to be gleaned is AM/PM which doesn't require much of a view.

ETA 251.262 (quartz) - single register central totalizer: Sector Apnea

The ultimate in chrono visibility, the red hands are used for time keeping, the sub register shoes running seconds, the yellow hand accumulated seconds, and the blue hand accumulated minutes. The timing hands sit above the time keeping hands, which means timing is always the most visible function, but the tradeoff is they tend to obscure regular time keeping. The lume set up is particularly unique, as the blue hand is all lume and the rest are lume tipped.

Slim hands are not the only solution.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information