WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Chronograph: Seagull 1963 or Dan Henry 1964?

4K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  vintorez 
#1 ·
I am considering adding a vintage style chronograph to my collection. I am interested in the Seagull 1963 and Dan Henry 1964. Both have similar size specs (38mm case size). I would prefer a D304 Seagull version if I can find one (compared to the standard version). The Dan Henry is also very nice, but I am not a huge fan of quartz movements. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#5 ·
If you’re not a fan of quartz, then there is one 1 choice, the 1963. Eventually, I would pick up a 1963 myself. Excellent looking manual chrono movement if behind an exhibition caseback. However, a Dan Henry is my only quartz watch other than my G-Shock for working out. So, whatever floats your boat.

#6 ·
Have a seagull. I like it quite a bit, though it never was a daily wear. It’s also my loudest watch. I can hear the ticking relatively easily when it’s quiet. It doesn’t bother me, in fact I enjoy hearing it at times, but I notice it when I wear it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
In terms of design, Dan Henry gets it. I handled one at the recent WoundUp in San Francisco, and it seemed well-built. I dislike quartz watches, so I’ll never own one. For that reason alone I would choose the Seagull over the Dan Henry. But that’s me. Since you asked, you seem okay with quartz, so go with Dan Henry. They have the best retro look going, including those by manufacturers who produced the originals 50 years ago.

#12 ·
I've owned 3 watches with Chinese movements and a neighbor bought one also. All 4 failed over time for various reasons. I realize there are decent ones out there that last, but given my experiences, I'll never buy a Chinese watch again nor recommend one to anyone.

I save my money and then later go for something a step up quality wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.