Which chronograph should I seek?

Thread: Which chronograph should I seek?

Which chronograph should I seek?

Hello all,

In my short time getting into this watch obsession, I have come to realize that my favorite watch is any of the Omega Speedmasters I currently have on.

Seriously, the Speedmaster is the perfect collection of readability, robustness and classiness that allows this uber-cool watch to worn in any condition with any outfit... well maybe not a wet-suit, but let's not worry about true diving for the moment.

I am trying to learn more about mechanical chronograph movements as I think they are among the highest achievement in watch making. I am fortunate to own several variants of the manual wind Lemania 27 CHRO C12 movement in Omega cal. 321, cal. 861 and cal.1861 Speedies. I also am fortunate to own a Porsche Design chronograph with the equally iconic automatic Lemania 5100 movement. I am amazed by the range of chronograph movements and would like to ask the simple question:

What chronograph movements/watches are on your short list for an enthusiast to own (manual wind and automatic)?

A starting list might include:

Landeron 189 and similar movements (early Heuer Carreras)
    Omega 1045 (auto Speedies)
    Omega ca. 861 (Flightmaster)
    Omega cal. 1255 (Speedsonic F300)
    Seiko 6138
    Valjoux 7750 and variants (Heuer Carreras and a bunch of others)
    Valjoux 7733
    Valjoux 72/92/726 and variants (early Rolex Daytona and others)
    Valjoux 232
    Venus 175 (Rodania and others)
    Zenith El Primero

My apologies for the cross-post, also in the Omega forum:oops:, but perhaps this is the better location for this thread.
    Ciao,
    WiscOmega
    Verona, WI USA

Re: Which chronograph should I seek?

The Jaeger-LeCoultre Cal 380 (The Duomètre is my grail chronograph)

The Rolex 4130
    Last edited by Sunshine86; January 12th, 2009 at 05:29.

Thanks Sunshine!

The JLC is a mighty grail indeed! It's a beauty for sure. In a quick check of pricing, I could not trade my current car straight up for this $28-40K watch.

Makes a 4130 Daytona seem "down market"!

Ciao,
    WiscOmega
    Verona, WI USA

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting phrasing of your question, to use the word 'enthusiast'... so I would point you in the direction of the Poljot 3133 and Seagull ST19 (and therefore the Russian and Chinese forums).
    The utilitarian Poljot and Seagull movements do not, perhaps, belong in the same list as yours but they do complement it.
    Last edited by Loddonite; January 13th, 2009 at 00:11.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

id go with the venerable 7750, thats whats on my list right now. Im a chrono fan, but dont have the funds right now.

also dont forget the lovely ST19 manual wind chrono caliber in the alpha paul newman, new it costs $125, and its even got a column wheel! im gettign a hamilton 7750 chrono, and that alpha this year, for sure!

Thread Information