Chronograph smackdown: Seiko Ananta SPS007 versus Chase-Durer 1000 UDT XL
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chronograph smackdown: Seiko Ananta SPS007 versus Chase-Durer 1000 UDT XL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chronograph smackdown: Seiko Ananta SPS007 versus Chase-Durer 1000 UDT XL

So here's the deal: The SPS007 is the one I already own. Why am I looking at the Chase-Durer? In a word, legibility of the stopwatch function, which I use a great deal. After wearing the Spring Drive for a couple of years, I'm finding that between my less-than-perfect eyesight and not-very-high contrast of the sub-dial indices, readability, while not impossible for me, is more difficult than I'd like. Compare that with the 1000 UDT XL's higher contrast sub-dials and better still, the center minute totalizer.

Ideally I'd keep both in my stable, but the price of the Chase-Durer is just high enough to make this a bit difficult on my budget. If I have to flip the Spring Drive, would the 1000 UDT XL be a worthy trade?

Borrowed image
    Mark
    ------------------------
    Casio AE2000W-1AV
    Citizen Promaster SST JW0097-54E
    Croton Men's Skeleton Watch Circa 1990

Re: Chronograph smackdown: Seiko Ananta SPS007 versus Chase-Durer 1000 UDT XL

They'll talk to you like you have 3 heads around here for comparing a Seiko to a CD.
    There's a nice Chase exactly like that on WUS boards fs btw.
    Vig2000 likes this.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    They'll talk to you like you have 3 heads around here for comparing a Seiko to a CD.
    lol
    Mark
    ------------------------
    Casio AE2000W-1AV
    Citizen Promaster SST JW0097-54E
    Croton Men's Skeleton Watch Circa 1990

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

99% of WUS is going to tell you to go with the Seiko. But I've had a Chase-Durer UDT 1000XL PVD for three years, and it's a fantastic watch. Solid, strong, accurate (my most accurate quartz; beats the hell out of my G-Shock when it can't get a signal). The PVD finish is basically immaculate after three years of regular use; there is some corner wear on the clasp, but that's it.

Get it. The battery in mine just died and I haven't had a chance to replace it and I'm kind of lost without it, even though I don't wear it as much anymore (I wear my Speedmaster most of the time). It's as much a great watch as it is a security blanket to me.

There's mine. I have it on Bonetto Cinturini rubber modified with a deployant clasp now, and it's totally awesome. I want to put the bracelet back on eventually though.
    jringo8769 likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by BetaMark View Post
    So here's the deal: The SPS007 is the one I already own. Why am I looking at the Chase-Durer? In a word, legibility of the stopwatch function, which I use a great deal. After wearing the Spring Drive for a couple of years, I'm finding that between my less-than-perfect eyesight and not-very-high contrast of the sub-dial indices, readability, while not impossible for me, is more difficult than I'd like. Compare that with the 1000 UDT XL's higher contrast sub-dials and better still, the center minute totalizer.

Ideally I'd keep both in my stable, but the price of the Chase-Durer is just high enough to make this a bit difficult on my budget. If I have to flip the Spring Drive, would the 1000 UDT XL be a worthy trade?
    I like my C-D 1000 UDT XL a lot. So much so that I just had it relumed:

But that Seiko SpringDrive of yours is worth a lot more than my XL. Any trade you consider should have the watch plus a lot of cash coming your way.

But your point is well taken. Legibility really comes down to contrast. And there is no combination of colors with higher contrast than white and black - just like on the C-D. That is one of the reasons I like it so much. Additionally, I use the independently adjustable hour hand often and the center seconds and minutes chronograph hands make it extremely easy to read elapsed time on the chrono.

Whatever you decide, be sure to receive fair value for your SpringDrive

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

God knows I love my Seikos, but that's one thing I could never understand about a lot of the Seikos (and many others too): the hard-to-read designs, especially with when equipped with all the doodads. White on white. Silver on silver, etc. Why???????

As for OP's Q: If legibility is what you're after, surely there is at least another dozen other than the C-D that can do the job AND are qualified to be in the same room as that Seiko? Horologically speaking, I think you're taking a huge step down.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Hi, while the Seiko is a beautiful watch, I vote for the Chase-Durer. It is a very splendid watch!
    jringo8769 likes this.

I'm casting another vote for the Chase Durer. I used to own one but had to sell it to fund a PO. It was a great watch and like Raza said VERY accurate. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My local AD said it's the same quartz chrono used by Breitling. The only weak spot was the lume, but that can always be fixed like gaijin did. Go for it!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Im one of the 99 percent. That Seiko is very nice, however they dont recommend over use on the chrono function for automatic watches. If you need to use it a lot then a quartz woiuld be the way to go. I guarentee you will regret selling your seiko.
    Last edited by Stonechild; December 11th, 2011 at 17:41.
    Current Collection:
    Rolex Subc 2tone Blu 116613LB
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex Sub C, date
    Rolex Sub C, Hulk
    Rolex Milgauss zBlue
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 White Dial
    Breitling Navitimer B01
    Breitling Chronomat GMT 47mm
    Anonimo Dino Zei San Marco

Corum Dive Bomber, Shark
    Corum Dive Bomber, Tiger
    Frotis MM Chrono Chain Saw

Fortis B42 Chrono PVD
    Fortis pilot

I would never even consider trading down that much. The CD is cool and its become more famous by the Burn Notice TV show. Try a Seiko with a black dial and less complications like mine.I have no trouble reading the time on mine.
    Chronopolis likes this.
    Perrelet Seacraft Chrono
    Oris Aquis Chrono
    Perrelet Seacraft GM
    Edox ERC Chronorally
    Seiko Monster
    Sumo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information