Chronographs: functional or just for show
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Chronographs: functional or just for show

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Chronographs: functional or just for show

Quick question for the masses:) I'm really intrigued with high end chronographs( breguet, jlc, iwc), but curious about whether people actually use them or if their just for show? Don't really think I'll use it for measuring anything that matters, unless you consider holding my breathe on the couch after work important:)

WnS

Re: Chronographs: functional or just for show

I hardly use mine. And when I do, it's for unimportant stuff like timing the duration of a drive.

If you like the look, you should buy, after all no one needs a mechanical watch (but many want one).
    I'm content with my watch collection

I was really interested in them, then I got one and now I can't think of a single time that I've actually used the feature!

EDIT: Whilst chronos are great, I have now come to the realisation that I prefer functions which I can use in day to day operations.
    Such as my GMT gets used everyday to figure out what time it is in England.
    Date feature gets used everyday.
    I'm sure a full calender would get used everyday too.
    A moonphase adds a great deal of beauty to a timepiece.

A chronograph would be very useful for me if it had a countdown function, I suppose an alarm watch would be able to do that but I'm not entirely sure if it can be set to the exact minute or not.
    Last edited by faiz; October 31st, 2013 at 11:40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On high end - I can't see the requirement, other then looking cool and fun to play with.

Although a rotating bezel would be a great substitute for your requirements if you are wearing that type of watch (and the situations that you are wearing it in).

If I need to use a stopwatch, I am going whole hog with my garmin 910xt (which means I am also wanting to track pace/speed/calories burnt/heart rate etc).

Although I used to use chrono on analog all the time in my teens and 20's, to keep track of how much time I had surfing/swimming/time to catch a train/have a beer before the train came, etc.
    Last edited by High Q; October 31st, 2013 at 11:48.

I have owned a couple of chronographs in my time but apart from just playing with them to see that they work i never once used one to record a time event. Now when i was working i owned an Omega Seamaster (wonderful watch) and the rotating bezel i used quite often when i did some jobs i knew i had 30 or 40 minutes to wait so i would adjust the bezel and found that a very easy way to remind me of a time lapse.

OzO

I'm pretty much always wearing a chronograph (either a Speedy Pro or Monaco) and I use it to time stuff all of the time
    Raza likes this.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

I use a chronograph on a daily basis to time espresso shots (how long per/pull), cooking times, my 30 second listerine rinse, on and on. Quite honestly, if you love your watch, you'll likely find uses for it, even if they don't come to mind immediately. Also, I've noticed that timing mundane re-occurring tasks on a consistent basis (i.e. the door to door time it takes walking down the street to buy some bread for example....with enough samples to get a good average time), then allows me to more accurately gauge if I can squeeze in such an errand before a more important meeting or obligation....if that makes sense.
    ShaggyDog, rfortson and ffritz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dspaulson View Post
    I use a chronograph on a daily basis to time espresso shots (how long per/pull), cooking times, my 30 second listerine rinse, on and on. Quite honestly, if you love your watch, you'll likely find uses for it, even if they don't come to mind immediately. Also, I've noticed that timing mundane re-occurring tasks on a consistent basis (i.e. the door to door time it takes walking down the street to buy some bread for example....with enough samples to get a good average time), then allows me to more accurately gauge if I can squeeze in such an errand before a more important meeting or obligation....if that makes sense.
    Dspaulson, thank you!!! I say that bc those are the type of things I was wondering about. As soon as I read "mundane re-occurring tasks" it made me think about my walk to my car. I often "kinda" time how long it takes to get from my fifth floor apt. to elevator and down seven flights to my car. Sounds dumb, but those re things I'd use it for as well. Just not fascinated enough with iPhone to pull it out.

Timing between smokes in order not to smoke too much :) And when my wife tells me "I'll be in half an hour" I'm timing it to rebuke her :)

Don't forget you can use the tachymetre to see how many spuds you can peel in an hour!

cheers, Mike.
    rfortson likes this.
    Chronographe Suisse 18k Rose gold, Citizen NH6934-08FB "Autozilla"SOLD, JaegerLeCoultre Master Calendar, Omega: WWII 30T2, Constellation "C" 168.0019SSOLD, Speedmaster "Mark4.5" 176.0012SOLD, Rolex Submariner 16610 STOLEN serial Y862966, Seiko: 6138-0011 "UFO" Speedtimer, 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer, 7016-5001 "Monaco", SKX007J Diver 200m, SAEH007 Ananta Chronograph, SBBN013 "Darth Tuna" Marinemaster,SBBN015 Tuna, Steinhart Racetimer brownSOLD, Titoni: Cosmo King Day/date, Airmaster
    Grail: Mint, unpolished Seiko 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer 5 Sport UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra...ad-944573.html

Watches............the only place where COMPLICATIONS are a GOOD THING!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information