Are Chronometers Worth It?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are Chronometers Worth It?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are Chronometers Worth It?

The reason I'm asking is because what happens to a chronometer when you take it in for the 5 year service? Should I expect it to come back within the +6/-4 specifications? I have a Hamilton Intra-Matic that, even though it was NEVER an official chronometer, ran very close to those measurements. I took it in to Tourneau for its tuneup and now it runs at around +12. I'm not as happy as I used to be.

Re: Are Chronometers Worth It?

If you are into accuracy then chronometers are well worth it. After a service it will still be a chronometer grade movement but as it’s no longer certified it won’t technically be a chronometer.
    lvt likes this.

No, but it look nice on the dial and a doorknob will give it a real good tuneup.
    Nokie and bearbear like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think so. I like mine.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Banned

If you care about accuracy then yes. For me, I could careless so I wouldnt spend more for it.

I think it's worth it personally. While, true, unless you get it readjusted, it wont maintain the same performance after a service, the fact that it was able to pass the chronometer certification in the first place means that the tolerances of fabrication on the movement were executed very well, such that it is balanced and its behavior across all 5 positions can be maintained within the tightly restricted range.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I like the history of chronometers - their place in exploration and navigation. Fascinating stuff. So buying a watch that's been certified is cool too. But - it's a curiosity now. Something to have fun with in the same anachronistic and entirely unreasonable way that we have fun with everything else in the hobby. So "worth" it? No, not in any objective way.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The COSC FAQ

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/faq

may answer some of your questions. However, take your Hamilton back to the AD for a timegrapher test. And if the watch is running to fast get it regulated a second time. Not a sorcery.
    Slm643 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

The original and main raison d'etre of a watch is to tell time. The better a watch does so, the better it is at achieving one of the main purposes for it to exist. As such, a chronometer movement is an objectively better movement than a non-chronometer movement, all other things being equal (which, of course, they are usually not).

That said, there are many reasons why people buy mechanical watches today. For most of us, there are so many other reasons for buying watches: aesthetics, appreciation of miniature mechanical devices and engineering, connections to a simpler time, (perceived) status, etc. So the question is not "are chronometers worth it?" but rather "are chronometers worth it to you?" For me they are. But YMMV.

Because pics improve every thread:
    Attached Images Attached Images

41Mets, natesen, tumbler and 1 others like this.

Really it comes down to the specific watch and also if it seems worth it to you. If you feel like you're spending too much on an item then you probably are.
    stuffler,mike likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information