Citizen Chronomaster/Grand Seiko

Thread: Citizen Chronomaster/Grand Seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen Chronomaster/Grand Seiko

I was at the department store today where the jewelry department carries Seiko/Citizen/Bulova etc.

But they had never heard of a 'spring drive' or a 'Grand Seiko' or a Citizen 'chronometer' or 'Chronomaster.' They even pulled out the catalogues and still couldn't find any of them even mentioned. There was only 'kinetic' drive.

I think I have asked this before, but are these models simply NOT IN the USA at all?

Re: Citizen Chronomaster/Grand Seiko

if i remember correctly, there is one Grand Seiko authorised dealer in North america, and its in canada,

and some inspiration...

Department store employees, in general, are uninformed (to put it mildly). Spring Drives are absolutely available in the US:

http://www.azfinetime.com/Seiko-Spri...8c97a72c179cbf

http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...FRINDQod8mgTIg

http://www.righttime.com/rt/seiko_sp...ivewatches.htm

D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Grand Seiko are generally JDM (I say generally because they can be found in a few places besides Japan, USA is not one of those places)
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post
    I was at the department store today where the jewelry department carries Seiko/Citizen/Bulova etc.

But they had never heard of a 'spring drive' or a 'Grand Seiko' or a Citizen 'chronometer' or 'Chronomaster.' They even pulled out the catalogues and still couldn't find any of them even mentioned. There was only 'kinetic' drive.

I think I have asked this before, but are these models simply NOT IN the USA at all?

Whether a department store carries or has even heard of high-end models from Seiko and Citizen really depends on the country that department store is located in. Seiko and Citizen have traditionally marketed their high-end watches only in Japan and a few other asian countries. Periodcially they will offer mid-level watches like Noblia and Lassale but those are exceptions. It is only recently that Seiko began offering the Spring Drive models in the USA. And those are available only through a few select dealers - not Kohls, Nordstroms, etc. I would expect that a department store employee would only be familiar with those small portions of the Seiko and Citizen lines the store carries. It's not realistic to expect them to be aware of the many models designed for other markets the department store doesn't carry.
    Last edited by John MS; August 28th, 2009 at 13:58.

OK, thanks for this. One other question about the spring drive: Does the second hand 'sweep' smoothly like a mechanical watch, or does it 'click' like a quartz watch? I think someone here once said that it is completely silent. Is that right?

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Have a look at the vids on youtube, it does neither. It flows smoothly round the dial, far smoother than any other mechanical, I don't believe it ticks at all (quartz's tick, mech's tick - though more times per second than a quartz, hence the smeemingly smoothish sweep, but either few or many they still tick, SD does not appear to)
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

Thanks, yes I know that mechanical watches do 'click,' but simply do it more often to give a relatively smooth appearance. I have plenty of each. In fact, I really enjoy listening to the 'ticking' of a mechanical watch. I'm not sure how I feel about a totally silent watch, but it would be cool to see an 'actual' smooth sweep around the face. That would be pretty cool.

I see they want Rolex type money for the GS. I'd have to see one 'live' to see how they compare. The only one that really appeals to me is the simple, plain dress watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post

I see they want Rolex type money for the GS. I'd have to see one 'live' to see how they compare. The only one that really appeals to me is the simple, plain dress watch.
    In terms of 'Rolex money', you will get varying opinions as to being worth it. Just don't ask that in the Rolex forum (it's been done, and always gets ugly)

I believe they are worth the prices...
    ¿Qué hora son?

The Spring Drive is a completely smooth sweep. Not sure if it is "silent" or not, though. As for Grand Seiko vs. Rolex, I cannot really comment, but many people seem to think that GS is at least equal to Rolex in terms of quality, accuracy, etc. Also, keep in mind that the production numbers for GS are probably significantly smaller than for most Rolexes and I believe that most, if not all, GS' are made by hand.

There should be plenty of info on WUS and the WWW if you do a search....

(Here's a video I found on YouTube.)
    Last edited by filmjuicer; August 28th, 2009 at 17:49.
    matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information