Citizen overhaul service, anyone with experience??

Thread: Citizen overhaul service, anyone with experience??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen overhaul service, anyone with experience??

So i just got a NY2300 silver dial silver bezel off ebay. Ive had my eye out for this particular one for a while and a good deal came along. The lume markers are bubbling/peeling, power reserve is shot, of course the bezel is chewed to hell ("Patina that tells a story!" In Hodinkee speak) but there isn't any obvious water damage so im ok with what i got. I called citizen to get a ballpark on a service and they wouldn't give me one. They have no pricelist on their website, and they couldn't tell me over the phone whether it could run $200 or $500. Nothing, you have to mail it to them for an estimate. So im asking, does anyone have any experience what so ever with the citizen service department? Im assuming a service dial and probably new miyota movement cant be THAT expensive, but not getting even a loose estimate ("our overhaul service starts at....") is pretty annoying and left me totally in the dark. Any input would be valuable, thanks guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Citizen overhaul service, anyone with experience??

No idea, unfortunately (but hey, free bump!). Maybe ask the guys in the Citizen subforum. I'd figure $2-300 is what they'd charge, but that's just a pure guess.

Do you have an independent watchmaker nearby? Maybe they can find the parts and do the work. As you said, you could buy a Miyota movement for not too much, dial and bezel, not sure.

Good luck.

Why would you sent it to Citizen? Any watch tech can service the movement, or put in a new one rather easily--but quite likely there are no dials or bezels left for that watch, so probably nothing could be done for them that any local outfit couldn't do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not sure how helpful this is but you asked for any experience what so ever

I did this to my BM6400-00e

Name:  2016-01-02 19.08.56.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  110.6 KB in 2016

I sent it to Citizen UK and was quoted the sum of £61.97 to have a "full service and glass replacement".
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

I sent a 12 year old ecodrive dive watch in to them. Received a quote with all the work broken down by costs. Seemed reasonable to me, but since there was a lot to be done elected not to make the investment. If memory was correct was 3-4 weeks for the quote.

I sent in my Eco- Zilla, 300m Diver. After over 7 years of daily wear it suddenly stopped! I sent the Watch into Citizen for repair, Citizen wanted to check out the Watch then would get back to me on price. 7-10 days later, I got a package back from Citizen. They put a new movement in my Watch, pressure tested, with a paper showing the test results. The Watch was running great again, had my Watch back! Oh, and the best part, no charges! I did not send any warranty paperwork, nothing but the Watch to Citizen, and they took care of the Watch! That is service.. second time using, Citizen Watch of America, needed some screws for a Watch back that I had lost not tightened them enough, my fault. Yes, I did have to pay for the parts, but got them and even had a follow up call from the parts center, to make sure everything worked out. Again, amazing service in this day and age! This is my experience with Citizen Watch of America! Hope you have the same experience! Vance.
    Watch the time you have, Jesus is coming soon! “Faith is seeing the light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

I'm not surprised they won't quote a price without evaluating the watch, due to the fact they don't know what if any parts would need to be replaced, or the number of hours it would require a technician to work on it.

Scott's 2 cents:
    Hurley Roberts in Atlanta.
    Sent them my 12 year old ecodrive for a new crystal and service. Best experience to date for me. Fast turnaround , sent me a detailed report on my watch, such as, its manufacture date, current running stats, etc. I was very impressed with their customer service. I am sure I would use them again.

Good Luck!
    Scott

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Why would you sent it to Citizen? Any watch tech can service the movement, or put in a new one rather easily--but quite likely there are no dials or bezels left for that watch, so probably nothing could be done for them that any local outfit couldn't do.
    Theres 2 watch repair places in Raleigh, 1 i had a not great experience with and the other one is not cheap. Neither of them are cheap in fact, so not cheap when i asked for quotes to refurb a Carrera chrono, they both quoted me double, literally double the cost to send it back to Tag Heuer. And i figured citizen could possibly have a service dial kicking around inventory

Quote Originally Posted by LaneP View Post
    I'm not surprised they won't quote a price without evaluating the watch, due to the fact they don't know what if any parts would need to be replaced, or the number of hours it would require a technician to work on it.
    I kinda get that, however some of the blue chip swiss brands with service departments have pricelists for overhauls and maintenance services on their websites, and the ones who don't you can get an idea from google. Ive found nothing on citizen. Plus at absolute most they'd have to replace the miyota movement and add on service dial hands and crystal. No reason they wouldn't be able to give a round about idea of the cost to do all that, theres literally nothing more labor intensive that can be done to that watch aside from weld on new lugs. Even to rebuild a car engine, the mechanic can give you a worst case scenario quote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information