Citole. Hard to source in The West?

Thread: Citole. Hard to source in The West?

Banned

Citole. Hard to source in The West?

I've seen a few shops in Suzhou selling Citole watches and I even picked one up a few months ago which I was very happy with. I sold it to a friend more as a courtesy than anything, as he was starting a new job and was wearing a piece of garbage on his wrist and needed something respectable-looking. They are all stainless, with mineral or sapphire and use Hong Kong movements which are as accurate as you'd want.....better than 1s/day in my limited experience. Was just wondering if they're at all respected/known out there in the big wide world?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Citole. Hard to source in The West?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    I've seen a few shops in Suzhou selling Citole watches and I even picked one up a few months ago which I was very happy with. I sold it to a friend more as a courtesy than anything, as he was starting a new job and was wearing a piece of garbage on his wrist and needed something respectable-looking. They are all stainless, with mineral or sapphire and use Hong Kong movements which are as accurate as you'd want.....better than 1s/day in my limited experience. Was just wondering if they're at all respected/known out there in the big wide world?
    'Citole'. How would you pronounce that? Say it out loud and you will see why they don't market that brand in the English-speaking world.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as a 'Hong Kong movement'. They will use mainland Chinese movements. And Chinese cases. In fact you can probably find an identical watch with a different brand if you trawl ebay for a while. Many of the smaller Chinese-sourced brands sell watches built by OEM assemblers from generic parts (just like many Swiss watches in the old days).

Here's their official site:
    CITOLE

"French CITOLE watch was born in romantic Paris, France in 1978, which is designed and developed by professional designers of France CITOLE HK Binli International Investment Co., Ltd, and produced and distributed by Guangzhou Binli Watch Industry Co., Ltd."

How the brand was 'born' in Paris in 1978 when the entire operation is based in Guangzhou is something of a mystery to me. Especially as the company that owns the brand is only 20 years old.

Based on the styling of the products visible on their website, I recommend that you take a closer look a Semdu watches, also made in China. There have been several favourable reviews on our Chinese mechanical watches forum.

http://www.semduwatches.com/
    Last edited by Chascomm; November 23rd, 2010 at 08:11.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Lots of Chinese brands try to fake European/Western heritage. At least this company is not pretending their watches are Swiss made (other Chinese companies do that).

Based on the photos, these are basically all knock-offs of other companies' designs:

CITOLE

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post

Holy Noodles!!

I thought some of those designs were patented or protected in some way???
    Fakes in every sense. I suspect you can order the watches with a different script on the dial??

Of course, they show them as "Cibole". And you order them in batches of 100.
    Which tells me something.....

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Rado, Chanel knock-offs. Not my cup of tea but to each his own.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rsgould View Post
    Lots of Chinese brands try to fake European/Western heritage.
    Probably worth adding that many new German brands fake German heritage and new Swiss brands fake Swiss heritage. It happens all over.

Based on the photos, these are basically all knock-offs of other companies' designs
    Which is why I think they are just using generic parts. As I said before, they may just be outsourcing the entire design and manufacturing process. Possibly their 200 employees are engaged purely in marketing and retail operations.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post

I thought some of those designs were patented or protected in some way???
    Fakes in every sense. I suspect you can order the watches with a different script on the dial??
    The extent to which a manufacturer can patent or copyright a design differs from country to country. In China, it is difficult to obtain either protection and even more difficult to enforce these areas of intellectual property. Trademark law in China is by far the easiest to enforce, which is why you see knock-offs borrowing a design but not copying a trademark, such as these "Citole" watches that look like Rados. The odds that Rado has any recourse here are pretty slim as it's unlikely they have any rights to the design in China. There is also no such thing as "unregistered IP" in China, with the exception of IP that is much, much more famous than Rado watches. Starbucks, for example, won a famous trademark case in China, in spite of failing to register their Chinese trademark, on the basis of global brand recognition. Those instances, however, are few and far between.

Thread Information