Classic sea, land, and air combo and the journey to get there
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Classic sea, land, and air combo and the journey to get there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Classic sea, land, and air combo and the journey to get there

Itís been a long journey but I may have finally found a combination of watches that Iím satisfied with. Iíve lost count of the number of watches Iíve been through these last 8 years. Getting very near 100 if I had to take a guess. Something would always seem off about the watch. It wore too big, case was too chunky, the bracelet wasnít comfortable, etc.

I feel content with the proportions and everything else about these watches. Now in true watch whore fashion I could get bored with them or want to Ďupgradeí to something else. But with these guys, what would I upgrade too? So without further adieu . . .

Rolex 16610 . . . Itís a sub. I couldnít possibly write anything that hasnít already been discussed. The only thing I would change about this one is if it was the no date version which is actually what I was looking for when I came across this watch which was NOS. I have the bracelet for it but am currently experimenting with various straps and NATOs.

Rolex 14270. I was never drawn to the Explorer and even thought of as being boring and ugly at times. I finally decided to give it a try and my opinions changed. It wears so light and goes with near everything whether it be shirt and tie or jeans and a T-shirt. The Explorer is never out of place.

IWC Mark XV. Iíve owned a Mark XVIII before and loved it besides the long lugs which didnít work well with my 6.5Ē wrists. Iíve tried Sinns and various other fliegers and chronos but something was always off. I wanted to try a Mark XV or Mark XII if I ever found them on a bracelet at a reasonable price. Iím glad I went with the 38mm size of the Mark XV and the bracelet might be even more comfortable than the Rolex oyster bracelets.

Some will say the watches are boring but I think I like them that way. I donít have to honk much when deciding what to wear that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Classic sea, land, and air combo

In full disclosure, I do usually keep a 4 watch rotation. Currently my 4th watch is a Zenith 146 Heritage chrono with an El Promero movement. Iím satisfied with that one at the moment too but we will see if that lasts.

Re: Classic sea, land, and air combo

I just started looking through my phone to see if I had pics of some of the watches Iíve owned. This is going to be very pic heavy.

I think that takes us through the 1st few years. After that the watches started getting a bit more expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Classic sea, land, and air combo and the journey to get there

I’m running out of time so may have to continue this later and I haven’t even gotten to Rolex yet! But I think you're starting to get the picture.

I'm excited to see where your collection goes. I like that zenith, but don't think you'll keep it much longer

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

THE COLLECTION:

| OMEGA SEAMASTER PRO SMPw | TUDOR BLACK BAY 41 M79540 | SEIKO SHOGUN SBDC029 |

Thatís quite a journey to the current three piece collection, really canít go wrong with any of them (plus Zenith). My personal choice would have been a different ďLandĒ, likely a racing inspired chrono like Chopard Mille Miglia or the tri-color El Primero.

I'm going to say it's a nice combination, but they all look a bit similar - 3 hand, black dial, white marking. How about swapping the IWC for their chronograph model; black, white or silver dial version.

I went through the, not quite so excessive, stage of constantly changing watches as I either decided I didn't like them or they broke. In the end the only way I could get exactly the watch I wanted was to build it myself. Took me a few years and once my wife discovered how much my new hobby had cost she was a bit annoyed, but I said not to worry as I was going to make some more and sell them. Still haven't made back the cost, but tinkering with your own watch design it's one heck of a good hobby : - )
    www.marinechronometer.co.uk

deleted repeat post - slow internet

Quote Originally Posted by Tonhao View Post
    That’s quite a journey to the current three piece collection, really can’t go wrong with any of them (plus Zenith). My personal choice would have been a different “Land”, likely a racing inspired chrono like Chopard Mille Miglia or the tri-color El Primero.
    You only saw about 1/3 of it. I got tired of looking for the watch pics. Plus figured no one else really wanted to see something that pic heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lornegifford View Post
    I'm going to say it's a nice combination, but they all look a bit similar - 3 hand, black dial, white marking. How about swapping the IWC for their chronograph model; black, white or silver dial version.
    I agree they look a bit similar. I tried diversifying but I eventually came back to the classic looks of these 3. I think black dials lend themselves to more versatility than some other colors and they don't draw too much attention to themselves. Which are all points I like.

I did think about purchasing an IWC 3706 which is a chrono but it's about 5 mm taller than the Mark XV so it seems a bit thick/chunky to me.

An excellent start! J/K great iconic watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information