Cleaning your watches after swimming... - Page 3
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Cleaning your watches after swimming...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Cleaning your watches after swimming...

Quote Originally Posted by J_NL View Post
    In your case, it clearly serves a purpose then. But to me it seems 99% of all people who wear their watches in the water, do this out of habit or laziness. It is then that it serves no purpose and that is what I don't understand.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk
    Using that logic, one could also make the argument of wearing a watch in general, e.g. it serves no purpose. What purpose does it serve when you have multiple ways to tell the time at any given moment? Wrist watches in general are not the necessity that they once were before cell phones and computers. We wear them because itís our hobby, passion, etc... We justify the expense because of these reasons. Logically it makes no sense.

I wear my watches in the water, shower, etc...because constantly taking them off/on out of concern for scratching the watch is something I donít waste my time with. I have more important concerns...some of which have already been stated. IMO, it makes the most sense to wear your watch in the water because thatís one place all those other time keeping devices donít do well in.
    rfortson likes this.
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

Some of you guys sound cuckoo/OCD! Just rinse the dang thing off and wipe it dry! And if it's been sandy, spin the bezel a couple of times while you're at it. 😁
    craigmorin4555 and Chasovnik like this.

Yes, there is not much more to it than what you've mentioned yourself. I do wonder why anyone would want to swim with his watch strapped on, either in open water or a pool. I really don't see what purpose this serves. Same for showering with your watch. Do you really need to check time while taking a swim or a shower? To me this is just taking a risk with your watch for no purpose. But enlighten me if I am wrong.
    I basically don't take them off ever. As anything else, it's with change that problems come: the watch may drop, get forgotten, stolen... always on my wrist, zero problems.

As for the first question, whatever I can stand, the watch must stand. I don't think 716L stainless steel and shappire crystal are any more delicate than my skin and bones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mine goes off for a spa day: cleansing, rub down, massage, steam, compress, hot stones, reiki, meditation, aroma therapy and back to me to be worn until the next time it gets splashed at the sink (or I feel the humidity is a bit too high). Dog help me if it actually goes into water: full service; tear down, replace everything replaceable, oil immersion for everything else, sonic cleansing, and all work performed by a highly trained celebate Yogi/Reiki master/psychic/watchmaker.
    Proliant likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    Mine goes off for a spa day: cleansing, rub down, massage, steam, compress, hot stones, reiki, meditation, aroma therapy and back to me to be worn until the next time it gets splashed at the sink (or I feel the humidity is a bit too high). Dog help me if it actually goes into water: full service; tear down, replace everything replaceable, oil immersion for everything else, sonic cleansing, and all work performed by a highly trained celebate Yogi/Reiki master/psychic/watchmaker.
    don't forget to align your watch's chakras.
    Proliant, Seabee1 and Chasovnik like this.
    ďIf we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.Ē
    ― Seneca

If its fresh water than I don't do anything outside of the regular cleaning all of them get once every 6 months or so (qtips, gentle cleaner and polywatch). Salt water gets a good rinsing with fresh water and that's it. Chlorinated water? I just don't do it at all. I may be in the minority, but I don't trust watches in pool water. Chlorine can really mess up seals.

YMMV
    Last edited by Proliant; 1 Week Ago at 02:46.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't wash my watches off at all, and I wear them in the pool and ocean all the time.

I think maybe you guys are over-thinking this a bit, but that's like just my opinion, man.

I try to avoid salt water, but in a pool environment I will wash with warm water and, like Noki a micro fiber towel or watch cloth.

In your case, it clearly serves a purpose then. But to me it seems 99% of all people who wear their watches in the water, do this out of habit or laziness. It is then that it serves no purpose and that is what I don't understand.

It serves the purpose of letting you know what time it is same as it does when youíre on dry land. Whatís so hard to understand about that? Pretty basic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seabee1 likes this.

Meh ..... I dont get anything rated less than 100m wet (just a personal quirk) but I dont really see a need to take them off if I walk past a sink or do the dishes either. They are watches .... they are meant to be used. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Proliant; 1 Week Ago at 03:18.
    Seabee1 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information