Clueless Wife Needs help with a Xmas Gift
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Clueless Wife Needs help with a Xmas Gift

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Clueless Wife Needs help with a Xmas Gift

I would like to purchase a nicer watch than my budget allows for my husband for xmas. I really need to keep it in the $2500 range. Is it possible to get anything interesting at that price range? I am attracted to the chrono look. He is not (yet) a collector, so I am reluctant to go vintage not knowing what he would think of that. Can anyone recommend some brands & specific styles that I should consider?
    Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Clueless Wife Needs help with a Xmas Gift

OK, chrono look then. Try to google "Valjoux 7750". You will get tons of possible watches. Narrow it down to some of them in your price range and come back with "your" pre-selection to discuss with our members.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Hi and welcome, lucky guy you have...Have you any idea what your looking for such as quartz / battery or mechanical and finish such as stainless, black, goldtone?
    For the amount you want to spend, you have several possibilities, the more you give us the better we can suggest to you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Take a look at the website Omega watches, Tag Heuer watches, Breitling Watches, Longines watches, Baume & Mercier watches. They are a grey dealer. It is a good repository of retail and grey prices. And it is great to do window shopping. You can choose the chronograph filter. That will show you only watches with that function in order of price. Exactly what you need.

Keep two things in mind. Chrono movements are more complicated and thus more expensive. The two most expensive things in a watch are the case and the movement. If the movement takes the lion's share of the budget there is not much left for the case. Being more complicated means that they are also more expensive (double) to maintain. A mechanical watch needs a maintenance service about every 7 years (some sooner) with daily wear. This will usually cost between $200 and $700. On the higher end with chronos.

That said, I second Mikes recommendation of a 7750. It is an excellent movement and the go to choice in this price class. As brands you can look at Mido, TAG and Hamilton. Perhaps also Damasko and Sinn from Germany, as well as Stowa for their 1938 dress chrono. All of these combine the famous 7750 with cases that are really very good. Perhaps Tissot, too.

Don't go vintage on your first buy. You can get amazing deals going vintage but you can also get royally screwed if you don't know what you're doing.

If this is his first watch, I'd perhaps rather go with a simple three-hand watch with date for starters. OTOH, the $2500 price point is kind of a dead price point in terms of price/value relation. You can get watches at or around 2k or even $600 that are not worse than what you get at $2500. That's when talking three-hand. When talking chrono, there are indeed a couple of deals to be had, basically those are in the brands I listed above. These brands generally offer excellent value for money and are well respected. But besides Tag, Tissot and Hamilton you won't find them in the mall or even in boutique stores because they are small brands.

Sidenote: Purchasing a nicer watch than your budget allows might be your way of saying you want a particularly good deal. If so, see above. If it means you really shouldn't spend that much, then you REALLY shouldn't. Watches in this price class have terrible value retention.

I'd seriously consider something like a Mido Commander COSC or a Seiko SARB. Both will be in the $5-600 range and are wonderful watches that have strictly nothing to envy to watches in the $2500 category.

I thought Tag's were a no-no based on other threads I was reading? What about Longines?

What about the Tag Aquaracer Chrono?

You've already received some good advice...browse online to get a better sense of what it is you are looking for. Is this to be a dress watch, casual, worn at the office? Note that even within the chrono category, there is dressy chrono and sporty chrono.

If your husband is not a watch guy, would he care if it is a mechanical watch vs. quartz?

Also, I would recommend sticking to "name" brands, by which I mean ones that most people know of, like Tag Heuer, etc. as he may not appreciate an unknown to the masses brand like Stowa or Sinn.

Finally, how flexible are you on price (is $2,500 the most you can spend or do you have some give (say +/- $300)? As Watchalex mentioned, the $2,500 price point is neither here nor there. However for a few hundred more (after AD discount), best watch i can think in your price range would be this:

Omega Seamaster 300m Chronograph. Priced at $4,100, but could be had for under $2,900 after AD discount. Well known brand, chrono, can be dressed up or down, COSC chronometer certified, and beautiful.
    Last edited by bigdubs; December 9th, 2011 at 19:48.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpag View Post
    I thought Tag's were a no-no based on other threads I was reading? What about Longines?
    You read the wrong threads. There is no "no no". However that's what I was afraid of. What about Oris, what about Longines, what about Victorinox, what about Steinhart, what about Certina, what about Raymond Weil, what about Hamilton, what about Zeno, what about Mido, what about those 100000000 other brands.
    Make a pre-selection by using google pics and let us discuss further then.

Flick through Watchuseek, lots op pics here........

Here's just one thread....https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/reco...106.html...and there are more.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 9th, 2011 at 19:53.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I LOVE that Omega & yes, I have a little wiggle room. I told you I was clueless - have no idea what "AD" discount is and best place to look -

Mike, I understand what you are saying. I am trying to narrow it down - but it's hard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information