Cluess bride needs to know good watch to give fiancee!!!
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cluess bride needs to know good watch to give fiancee!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Cluess bride needs to know good watch to give fiancee!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married to a serious watch lover in a few weeks and I want to give him a watch for a wedding present. However, I know next to nothing about watches, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions of a good watch to buy him.

Based on his collection, I know he loves big, heavy watches. I also know that he just got a Renato a few months ago that he loves. Other than that, I can't really say that he has a favorite designer or style, which is why I'm so lost. I'm looking for something more classy and less sporty for right around $300, so I need to know what the best watches are in this price range. I found a really sharp looking Invicta on Ebay, but I read reviews on here that its nothing special. Since he knows his watches very well, I don't want to make the mistake of getting him something that looks good to me but is a piece of crap to the watch connoisseur.

Can anyone give this lost bride some recommendations?

Thank you!!!

Re: Cluess bride needs to know good watch to give fiancee!!!

Pretty much anything from Citizen or Seiko. I'd go Citizen personally. If he wants a big watch, look for Citizen divers like the EcoZilla. Lots of watches under $300.

I, and I think the vast majority of watch collectors, would be a lot happier with a Citizen or Seiko than an Invicta.

If he wants a mechanical watch though, I would give a good look at Orient. Probably the best mechanicals for your money under $500.

If you can expand your budget, you could afford a watch that's pretty loved by all watch collectors on a budget, the Tissot Visodate. It's not huge (40mm is a medium sized watch) but it looks great and has a good mechanical movement for the money. It's $450 though.
    Kittysafe, MZhammer and Ottovonn like this.

The Ecozilla and the Visodate mentioned by CitizenM are wonderful suggestions.
    Keeping in mind that he likes a Renato, I would also look at the Android range of watches. I personally like a few models very much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Maybe you can narrow it down nonchalantly by noticing one of his watches on his hand and squeezing something into the conversation like "Is this your favourite?" and/or "What is it about this watch that you like?"
    A watch nut () will start spouting something about it that will help you

What a lucky man!

For $300 or less, check out the Seiko 5 line. Some great options there. If you can go a little higher ($400-500) the Tissot recommendation is a good one. In this price range, you can also look at the Seiko SARB033 as well as the Hamiton Khaki or Jazzmaster.

All are solid brands that your fiancee will appreciate.
    Rolex 5513 No Date Sub
    Rolex 114270 Explorer

Seiko 7548

We need to know what else is in his watch box. Give us name brands and any more info you can decipher. Are they dress watches, divers, chronographs? Are they quartz or mechanical? Help us to help you.

If you could post a photo of what he has, that may be most helpful.
    watchma likes this.

Since he seems to like watches that are kind of flashy, I'd look at the Tissot men's watches in the $200-500 range on Amazon. They have a wide range of chronographs, dress watches, sporty watches, quartz, automatics, all available in that range. Tissot is Swiss, so its got that cache, and their watches are classier than Renato without being boring.

Example: Tissot Men's T0636171605700 Classic Analog Watch

Name:  41dKxk5PbzL._SY300_.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  12.4 KB
    Last edited by digivandig; October 9th, 2012 at 17:57.

Obris Morgan Branco

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsS View Post
    ...Based on his collection, I know he loves big, heavy watches. I also know that he just got a Renato a few months ago that he loves...I'm looking for something more classy and less sporty for right around $300...I found a really sharp looking Invicta on Ebay...
    You won't get too much love for Invicta either from me or from the forum in general, for reasons discussed to no end here.

You'll get many calls for Seiko and Citizen. Going by strictly what you wrote and knowing nothing else about you or your fiance, I would also check out the below; the Obris Morgan Branco. It is not as mainstream as Seiko or Citizen but it seems to be a very solid piece, is within your budget and the case and goodies that it comes with makes it a pretty damn good present to open. If I were to get an affordable watch, it would be between the below or the Seiko Spork (SRP043). I've attached two links to purchase and one review link from another member (neither pics are mine).

Obris Morgan Branco
    $229
    Name:  753010d1341233772-please-help-me-decide-obris-morgan-branco-obb-brush-green.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  101.4 KB
    Name:  branco1.png
Views: 629
Size:  463.5 KB
    Direct Purchase: Obris Morgan Timepieces - Branco
    In-direct Purchase: The Obris Morgan Branco has a brushed 43mm titanium case, an anti-reflective coated sapphire crystal, a solid back, a sandwich style dial with C3 Superluminova applied for the hours, Superluminova treated hands, and a Miyota automatic movement
    Review: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/obr...ns-702328.html

Note: The above Tissot is a killer but at $355.67 on Amazon, it's above budget.
    Last edited by various121; October 9th, 2012 at 18:36.
    D85 and Mr. Panerai like this.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

The obris morgan looks more expensive than its price,it has than sinn looks and panerai like dial simplicity and superluminova..

Re: Obris Morgan Branco

If he likes big watches then a dress watch might not be that appealing to him. There are a few large watches you can pull off as a dress watch though, some of the Pilot style watches come to mind. I would look at Zeno, there are some largish Zeno watches with quartz movements that are available for 300 ish. This would be my pick. Check out Gemnation and amazon.com for a few options.

This is one of the watches I'm talking about
    Name:  6569-515Q-a1.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  54.3 KB

Zeno Navigator NG Black Mens Wristwatch
    Model 6569-515Q-a1
    Available from Gemnation for 240 shipped. Great price IMO for a very well made swiss made watch. At 44 it is largish.
    Link : http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Zen...-a1-18742.html

Another option just above budget at 320 is this one
    Name:  6564Q-i2-5030.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  51.1 KB
    Zeno Event Chronograph Mens Wristwatch
    Model 6564Q-i2-5030
    Chronograph model at 45mm, again great pick for the price IMO even though its quartz.
    Link : http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Zen...030-23009.html

Another brand worth considering is Citizen which is also a good pick. Seiko tends to make smaller watches in general so I dont think it will suit his style IMO. In this case though, I'd go for one of the Zeno watches.
    Last edited by jilgiljongiljing; October 9th, 2012 at 19:17.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information