Co-workers finally noticed! Do you feel the same way?

View Poll Results: Would you like folks to notice your new watch?

Voters
90. This poll is closed
  • No, I want to be invisible WRT watch

5 5.56%
  • Don't care; I wear it strictly for my personal enjoyment

57 63.33%
  • Yes; I'd be happier if people noticed

27 30.00%
  • Yes; I go out of my way and announce it to people

1 1.11%
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Co-workers finally noticed! Do you feel the same way?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Co-workers finally noticed! Do you feel the same way?

I've been wearing my new Seiko 5 (SKN607) all week and thinking surely somebody will notice at work. Nope, nobody mentioned anything at all (except when tell them to look at my new watch). Kind of disappointed. I don't know if you'd understand (my wife says I'm silly to think people will notice my watch). But I mean, here I am with a very shiny watch and I'm just waiting for somebody to notice.

Finally, today (Friday) somebody noticed when in my office. The simple words: "Oh, you got a new watch" was all it took. I promptly took it off and handed it to her and mentioned "it is a mechanical watch". The trouble is, I got a feeling that she didn't know what I meant by mechanical, so I told her to hold it next to her ears and listen to the tic-toc, now she gets it! Soon a 2 more people came to my office to check out my watch.

Another co-worker mentioned that he's got a Citizen eco-drive for working 5 years at this co, but I had to tell him that he's got a quartz watch, different than my mechanical. Then the best part, the first co-worker told him to hold it next to his ear and listen to it.

I'm now happier that I got noticed wearing my new watch.

Do you feel the same way?

(BTW, I recently also bought a new Caiso G-shock to replace my old g-shock, and that got noticed the very same day. So I was a bit disappointed with this Seiko, but now I'm better.)
    Last edited by ctt1760; November 2nd, 2013 at 00:46.
    hokavan likes this.

Inactive

Smile Re: Co-workers finally noticed! Do you feel the same way?

Name:  picsordidnot.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  9.8 KB

Do you feel the same way?
    No, not really , I've got so used to knowing the watches are for my benefit only I've stopped thinking about it
    soundfanz likes this.

Re: Co-workers finally noticed! Do you feel the same way?

If I take a picture, that'll creep everybody out including myself :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What I like about that story is that someone would not know that a watch can "tick," or at least never would have heard it. I'm old, I guess.

If anybody notices my watch- which happens generally when we have coffee around and they want to have a lazy look to my wrist for the time,it always comes with the comment: ' Your watch is broken ! '

Yeah, when they put '12' noon at '6' o'clock position, it happens:)

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  165.2 KB

Visible here and invisible out there, it's fine (to me)
    watchma and wschofield3 like this.

When I am stuck with no one noticing and I have that need I run down the street to Office Depot. There is one clerk who never fails to comment on my watches and we always have a 5-10 minute discussion about them. Even though his taste runs more to the Invicta styled watches he has never not recognized what I had on my wrist. I had a Patek Nautilus several years ago and he called it by name before I got within 6 feet of him. He is by far the most knowledgeable WIS I have met in the wild, I meet some that know THEIR watches or brands they like well but he knows a little about everything. I don't think any of my staff knows the least thing about a mechanical watch and most of my colleagues extent of watch knowledge is how to stroke the check for a Rolex Sub.

I kind of agree with your wife, no offense. Just enjoy your watch for your own benefit. Most people don't care. I think I'd stop complimenting people on new things if the reaction I got was for them to immediately explain everything about it to me in-depth. That's just me though...

The garbage man notices my shoes( he likes my choc. suede jodphurs) But never my watch...Diff. strokes for diff. folks.....
    Name:  001.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  53.3 KB
    Chocolate suede Jodphurs.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I don't buy watches primarily for external recognition, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to the first compliment on my latest :).

It's a weird thing to balance. Exactly how much of my watch decisions is because of what others will think and the likelihood of someone noticing...I'm sure it factors in somewhere even though I don't think its first and foremost.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information