Collecting Philosophy Change
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Collecting Philosophy Change

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Collecting Philosophy Change

Ok, so my unwritten rule for about the last 10 years has been to not buy more than one model of a brand. My thought being there are so many brands and models that I am attracted to that I want to have a diverse watch experience without becoming a flipper.

Having over 80 watches, I, of course, do have multiple models of a couple of brands. With that said, I am now at a point where I am beginning to question this philosophy. There are still a few brands/models I want to pick-up like Rolex Deepsea or Datejust ii(the only watch I ever sold was my Rolex Datejust over 20 years ago), RGM 801A, JLC, AP, and a couple of microbrands.

However, some of these purchases are obviously down the line due to price. As I move toward these purchases, I find myself considering purchases of brands I have and love like Sinn 6100 Regulateur or 556, Zenith Ultra Thin Small Seconds, Omega Aqua Terra, or Kobold SOA.

Anyway, what are some thoughts on this collecting philosophy? Silly? Should I abandon it?.....
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Re: Collecting Philosophy Change

If this has worked for you for a decade, you might consider using it as a guideline rather than a hard-and-fast rule. This is after all, a hobby, and you should do what pleases you rather than closely adhere to a rule which is fundamentally arbitrary anyway. You have a certain methodology that works for you, but it is not holy writ. Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all.
    bacari likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Even with 80 watches and 80 different brands you'll have some duplication in style. So I don't see any problem in buying a second or third one of the same brand. I have a number of Elgins of various types.
    bacari likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    If this has worked for you for a decade, you might consider using it as a guideline rather than a hard-and-fast rule. This is after all, a hobby, and you should do what pleases you rather than closely adhere to a rule which is fundamentally arbitrary anyway. You have a certain methodology that works for you, but it is not holy writ. Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Even with 80 watches and 80 different brands you'll have some duplication in style. So I don't see any problem in buying a second or third one of the same brand. I have a number of Elgins of various types.
    Solid advice and perspective from two members I have a great deal of respect for. Thank you gentlemen.

I especially like the "Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all." I'm all about relaxation and enjoying the moment!
    dbakiva and TimeSaver like this.
    Rolex Submariner

Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Shinola Brakeman 46

Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla

80 watches? minimal brand repeats? you could have easily accomplished the alphabet thread guy's challenge, and you only needed to buy 26!

Rules change, games change. I say abandon it.
    Bwana1 and bacari like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by bacari View Post
    Ok, so my unwritten rule for about the last 10 years has been to not buy more than one model of a brand. My thought being there are so many brands and models that I am attracted to that I want to have a diverse watch experience without becoming a flipper.
    Some brands have such a vast range of offerings that you could potentially have as diverse an experience intra-brand as you could inter-brand. Look at JLC. If you had a Memovox or a Master Control, but were interested in (and could afford) a Duomètre, there would be no good reason in my mind to skip it just because you already had a JLC. That would be too limiting in my opinion.
    dbakiva and TimeSaver like this.

Tissot PRS516 | Wempe Zeitmeister Chronograph

I'm sure you don't have any respect for me, but I'll give you my advice anyway.

I'd abandon the philosophy, find a method suits your needs/tastes/budget. You can still find plenty of diversity within the same brand, just need to define the diversity that YOU crave. To have 10 "identical" pilot watches with black dials, with a different Brand on them...probably won't push the "enjoyment factor". Finding your diversity "O" is essential, otherwise the flippaholic in your will never go to AA. Finding pieces that fit the puzzle, yet stand the test of time (enjoyment & iconic) should be your grail quest.

We all have to set limits on collections, otherwise pieces are never used or enjoyed.
    TimeSaver likes this.
    "Picking the lesser of 2 evils...is still evil"

Doxa 800TI Pro & 600T Pro & DivingStar
    Damasko DA45 & DA36 & DC56
    Muhle Glasutte SAR
    Citizen PMT56-27"Tough" & PMU56-23"Ray Mears"
    Marathon GSAR
    --Helson Shark Diver40
    Omega SMP & 120m Baby Ploprof & AT 2500 & AT Railmaster
    Tutima DI300 & Pilot FX--Oris BC Regulator--Aquadive BS100 Bronze
    Halios Tropik B green
    --Hamilton Navy Diver
    Jorg Schauer Kleine Durowe & Kulisse Ed. 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana1 View Post
    I'm sure you don't have any respect for me, but I'll give you my advice anyway.

I'd abandon the philosophy, find a method suits your needs/tastes/budget. You can still find plenty of diversity within the same brand, just need to define the diversity that YOU crave. To have 10 "identical" pilot watches with black dials, with a different Brand on them...probably won't push the "enjoyment factor". Finding your diversity "O" is essential, otherwise the flippaholic in your will never go to AA. Finding pieces that fit the puzzle, yet stand the test of time (enjoyment & iconic) should be your grail quest.

We all have to set limits on collections, otherwise pieces are never used or enjoyed.
    Very solid advice. You are absolutely correct. As an example, I have a Sinn U1 that is very different from the 6100 I crave. So, many brands have great diversity and there is opportunity in that fact alone.

By the way, I do respect you and I especially have always had a high regard for your profile picture!
    drickster and lmcgbaj like this.
    Rolex Submariner

Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Shinola Brakeman 46

Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla

v76

I really admire the people who have the discipline to collect watches based on "themes" (vintage military, vintage chrono., etc.), "eras" (eg. only watches from the 1950s or '60s) or brands ... I suppose I end up buying the watches that appeal to me on that particular day.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information